video transitions not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

KRTW Rhyder

video transitions not working

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 am

Ok, I don't know if this will post twice. I just created a new account cause I could not remember my old one.

Video transitions are just not working. A google search found a terrible work around, to cut the ends off each video. This kinda works, but is a HUGE waste of time. I'm editing moto footage, travelling, and can't afford to waste time on this. Frustrated, as this used to work perfectly.

Ok, here's the description. Drag a video transition, any one, and nothing happens. It will NOT land on the videos. If you cut the ends off, the transition sometimes will land on one side or the other but cannot be moved to the center, nor resized.

I'm working in W10, Legion 5 laptop with 64 GB ram and 1070ti graphics card. The system is powerful enough. And everything else works.

PLEASE HELP. This is hurting.

Charles Bennett

Re: video transitions not working

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Have a look at this quick video I made explaining why transitions don't work and how to fix it.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

bmmatbon

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

KRTW Rhyder wrote: This kinda works, but is a HUGE waste of time.

Agreed, I find it very inefficient for the most basic feature of a video editor, it is unfortunately the way Davinci works. With most other video editors they automatically cull from the end based on your transition length. Extra clicks for common repetitive work sucks no matter the OS / App.
Desktop: AMD 5950x, 64GB 3600Mhz GEIL, AMD 5700XT, Couple NVMes. CachyOS (Arch) and Nobara (Fedora)
Laptop: AMD 5700U, 32GB, Nobara (Fedora)

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

bmmatbon wrote:[With most other video editors they automatically cull from the end based on your transition length.
That option does become available if you use the shortcut to add transitions. It's just not there when you drag.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve