uploaded Youtube video is darker than rendered video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JRedstar

uploaded Youtube video is darker than rendered video

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

I hope I can explain this and maybe someone has a solution I cannot figure this out

My videos are screen recordings. I am on a Windows 11 machine. I capture the screen recordings via OBS and my capture settings are sRGB and MKV (mp4 essentially) with h.265 codec

In Resolve my project settings under Color Management is Davinci YRGB Timeline colorspace is sRGB and gamma 2.2 and output color space is set to the same. Under Master Settings /Video Monitoring Data Levels is set to Full. My Rendering settings MP4 codec h.265 and under Advanced settings I have Data Levels set to Auto. The rendered video looks identical played back on my VLC player as it does in Resolve, no issue there. But when uploading the video to youtube (this is 2k video so it does get the vp9 codec) it is noticeably darker and I cannot figure out why. If it matters I have a BenQ monitor and I have it set to sRGB

Below is a screen shot of the rendered video played back on VLC after exporting in Resolve
rendered.jpg
rendered.jpg (720.96 KiB) Viewed 398 times

And this the same file uploaded on YouTube
youtube.jpg
youtube.jpg (734.48 KiB) Viewed 398 times

I read some issues with gamma shift but that mainly seems to apply to Apple computers and Youtube. This seems so basic and simple but I must have some setting in Resolve wrong. I did compare the screen recording as recorded by OBS played back in VLC with the same file in Resolve in the timeline and they look identical. Anybody have any suggestions?

Return to DaVinci Resolve