Subtitle background is gone after export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

michael_72

Subtitle background is gone after export

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

I am blown away by the "audio to subtitle" function, really impressed by it! But I want subtitles to have the black background for easy readability and it always looks perfect in Resolve while editing, but after exporting to .srt the background is always gone no matter where it is opened (In Vimeo I can customize this, but I would like to have the background baked in). Is there a way to somehow "bake" the background in with the subtitles? Is it the .srt format that messes things up? There is nothing on this in the manual, I have checked...
MacBook Pro Max M2
RAM: 96 GB
HD: Internal SSD 4TB
I/O-card: UltraStudio Monitor 3G
Monitor 1 (GUI): Apple Studio Display
Monitor 2 (REF): Eizo Coloredge CG319x
NLE: Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1

robwuijster

Re: Subtitle background is gone after export

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

Hi,

afaik when using a .srt file, the video player will decide how to display the subtitles.
Some video players can be set to display a background, but most users don't know this exists.

If you want a colored background behind a sub, you have to burn it into the video itself.

Or there is a way to add this besides the font styling within a .srt file, but I haven't looked into this tbh..
Windows 11 ⊕ Resolve Studio 18.6.5 b7 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M

Return to DaVinci Resolve