Enabling Noise Reduction Node just before the export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

madajank

Enabling Noise Reduction Node just before the export

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 pm

Hi there!

To boost editing performance when dealing with numerous clips, I usually disable noise reduction. However, just before exporting, I'd like to activate those two nodes on 30-40 clips. How can I do this efficiently?

Also, is there a faster way to change the timeline resolution before exporting instead of right-clicking on the Media Pool?

Thank you a lot in advance!
Attachments
noise.png
noise.png (22.19 KiB) Viewed 951 times

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Enabling Noise Reduction Node just before the export

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm

If the node is the same (for example node 1) select all the clips you need, tick the node on then in color menu [ripple color to selected clips]
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:25 pm

Another way is to make the NR node a Shared Node. But that assumes that every shot needs the same exact NR, which may not always be true.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 7:44 am

madajank wrote:Also, is there a faster way to change the timeline resolution before exporting instead of right-clicking on the Media Pool?

I'm confused by the question. The only way I change Timeline Resolution is in Project Settings. You do have to be careful about scaling -- like when changing from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 -- because font position changes and there may be some other little things (like sharpening) that look different in UHD than HD.

You can change output resolution on the Deliver page, but it always hinges on the Timeline Resolution itself being right to start with. If you (for example) try to take a 1920x1080 timeline and render 4K, you'll get a warning:

We didn't always have this, but it's a good thing to see, to be reminded of the potential problems of resolution independence. It's OK to scale DOWN from 4K to HD, but you have to avoid doing the opposite.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Sam Steti

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 10:24 am

Hey

1/ Also assuming the NR parameters are the same for any node, either I use a Shared node, or the clips are yet in a group where I had a post clip NR node... But I want to try Walter's suggestion [ripple color to selected clips]. Not sure it will be for NR though...

2/ As Mark, I confused there would be another way as classic as going to the Project Settings actually :) . So necessarily I don't have any suggestion here ;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

madajank

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:09 pm

Thank you a lot!
The shared node will work for me as the Adjustment Layer won't work :)

The 2nd case is regarding the performance issue of the playback:
If I select the Quarter on the Playback->Timeline Proxy Resolution w/ the UHD Timeline it will be chopping
So as I cannot select the 1/8 on the Timeline Proxy Resolution, changing the Timeline Settings to 1280x720 works for me

I'm looking for the easier workaround - even the dropdown button w/ the timeline resolutions will be pleasant to use for me

SeldomSeenKid

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 am

Did you try caching the NR node? I usually have NR in the first node of my tree. If I cache it, I can make whatever changes downstream without having the caching to run again.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

madajank

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

Thanks a lot for the great tip - caching the NR nodes improved the playback a lot!

Return to DaVinci Resolve