A bit choppy plackback on a High End PC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

xMaurycyx

A bit choppy plackback on a High End PC

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 9:44 am

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to the Studio version while I'm running i7 14700KF + RTX 4090 + 32 GB RAM DDR4 + SSD M2 I was somewhat hoping that playback will be totally smooth. While editing 4k 25p (h264) shot at ZV-E10 it's not as smooth as I'd hope for, it's not super choppy either but I have to wait like a second on every cut it kinda freezes. Additionally from time to time while playing back I also lose audio (I gotta rewind and playback again). I tried downscaling the timeline resolution, optimized media and proxies.
GPU usage is at 20% tops, CPU doesn't seem to be stressed too while playing back.

Could it be my processor? KFs processors don't have integrated graphics... does anyone know if that could impact playback? Or am I just overreacting and the slight stutters/audio disturbances can't be avoided?

Jim Simon

Re: A bit choppy plackback on a High End PC

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:38 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:51 pm

If this is also occurring with proxies (what codec? resolution?) and reduced timeline resolution, there is probably something wrong with your configuration The CPU would not appear to be at issue, though it's not ideal for the footage you're shooting.

You might want to post screenshots of your timeline and monitoring preferences.

Tony359

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 pm

I'm using footage from the E10, 4K 30fps 60MBps, I don't see that. My systems might get a bit sluggish when I have a picture-in-picture made of three streams and the proxy viewer resolution set to full.

Random thoughts:

1. Open task manager and check your 4090: do you see "decoder" being used when playing?
2. Close Resolve and manually delete the cacheclip folder.
3. Update your GPU driver
4. Check that your GPU is selected under preferences. Did you see Resolve processing the "neural engines" when you installed Resolve Studio the first time?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Ryzen 5700X - 32GB RAM - 1.5TB Sata SSD - RTX 3070 8GB
Windows 10 22H2

joema4

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:06 pm

xMaurycyx wrote:Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to the Studio version while I'm running i7 14700KF + RTX 4090 + 32 GB RAM DDR4 + SSD M2 I was somewhat hoping that playback will be totally smooth. While editing 4k 25p (h264) shot at ZV-E10 it's not as smooth as I'd hope for...Could it be my processor? KFs processors don't have integrated graphics... does anyone know if that could impact playback?

Your camera records 4k/25p in 8-bit 4:2:0 XAVC-S (H.264). That is a difficult codec to smoothly edit without hardware acceleration. Unfortunately, your i7-14700KF does not have Intel's Quick Sync, and your RTX-4090 does not support hardware acceleration of 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... udio-2122/

This is a frustrating area, because Resolve Studio is very effective at using available hardware to accelerate certain codecs. However that requires (1) The right hardware and (2) That your camera (hence codec) be chosen with that in mind. Those items cannot be purchased in isolation, so this area requires planning.

Your options include: (1) Creating proxies (2) Examining other Resolve optimizations such as timeline proxies or caching (3) Changing to an Intel CPU that supports Quick Sync (4) Changing to a camera that shoots 8-bit 4:2:0 or 10-bit 4:2:0 HEVC, which is supported by the RTX-4090.

xMaurycyx

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:03 pm

Thank you all for the replies!
I'm replying to you all below.

John,
So far I've tried half of 4k with H264 and DNxHR HQ - didn't help anything but I'll try others. Eventually I'll try rendering the footage to AV1. The thing is that all points to my CPU not being utilized and 4090 having an actual limited support for the codecs I got on my timeline. As for the timeline res: I've tried Half and Quarter from 4k didn't change slightly.

Jim,
This RAW file actually runs smooth but I hear its sound only for a split second before it's gone, but cutting the footage and deleting is smooth.

Tony,
I think you have iGPU on your processor, version of mine specifically doesn't have it so it's cheaper a few bucks (I know I know T_T)

1. I see Video Decode being used at like 15-20%
2. Did that, didn't help
3. Done that, switched from Game Ready Drivers to Pro Studio whatever the other Nvidia drivers are.
4. Checked, it's there and yes there is even a checkbox for Neural Engines - checked

Joema,
I think you nailed it. It's also adding up with what I've been able to find. That processor was a missed shot in the dark but I'll roll with it. This evening I'll try more codecs for proxies and if that fails I'll render the footage to AV1 people online say that 4090 likes that big boy.

If my cam shoots in 4k/25p in 8-bit 4:2:0 XAVC-S (H.264) that it would seem that it's on green in that table, unless you mean 8-bit 4:2:2 or more.

Is AV1 a good idea or perhaps you're able to recommend a codec which would fit for GPU acceleration?

Tony359

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 10:28 pm

joema4 wrote:
xMaurycyx wrote:and your RTX-4090 does not support hardware acceleration of 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... udio-2122/

Am I looking at different charts because it says that 8-bit 4:2:0 H264 IS supported.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Ryzen 5700X - 32GB RAM - 1.5TB Sata SSD - RTX 3070 8GB
Windows 10 22H2

CougerJoe

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 12:56 am

Tony359 wrote:
joema4 wrote:
xMaurycyx wrote:and your RTX-4090 does not support hardware acceleration of 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... udio-2122/

Am I looking at different charts because it says that 8-bit 4:2:0 H264 IS supported.

Every GPU decoder supports 420 8bit up to 4K for AVC

Nick2021

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:21 am

264 shouldn't be challenging for ANYTHING today. Certainly not a current I7. My older I7 could software decode 265 8K without hitting 100%.

Either there is something different with the file or it's something else.

Drive speed shouldn't be an issue but check it under task manager. How busy is it when this is happening?

John Paines

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:30 am

xMaurycyx wrote:I've tried half of 4k with ... DxHR HQ -

Then, assuming you have not applied CPU or GPU processor-intensive fx, there's something wrong with your Resolve project preferences and/or configuration. But since you ignored the request to post preferences screenshoots, there's not much else that can be said on that account.

Also please note, there's a difference between reducing the timeline resolution and using the "proxy playback" modes. Your posts don't make clear what you've done. Reducing timeline resolution is usually preferable as a strategy to reduce playback overhead.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 12:35 pm

For comparison purposes, my older system as detailed below, quite happily runs h264 50 & 25fps UHD, and h265 50 & 25fps UHD, in a 50fps UHD timeline without being choppy. No lag on edits or audio cutting out either.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:28 pm

xMaurycyx wrote:Jim, This RAW file actually runs smooth
OK.

Next, confirm you actually do have Studio installed.

Then, under Preferences>System>Memory and GPU, uncheck the Auto options and choose CUDA and the 4090.

Under Preferences>System>Decode Options, make sure to take advantage.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

joema4

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 6:01 pm

Tony359 wrote:
joema4 wrote:

I apologize, you were correct. I misinterpreted the chart earlier. His RTX-4090 should be able to decode 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264. I am so used to seeing cases where they use 10-bit 4:2:2 H.264, maybe that distracted me. If he is using Resolve Studio and has it enabled in the settings, it should work without any issues.

Unlike MacOS, Windows performance monitors can display activity level of video decode acceleration. The simplest way is using Task Manager.

xMaurycyx

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 10:12 am

I still think the codec is not well supported here. GPU is in fact being used but when I apply some magic mask and animations it turns to a super laggy slide show. (I know I can cache it)

I rendered the clip to AV1 and applied the same effects = 90% smoother.
For the next project I'll render to AV1 in advance.

I'll post some screenshots later once I'm back home but thank you all for so far.

joema4

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 4:08 pm

xMaurycyx wrote:I still think the codec is not well supported here. GPU is in fact being used but when I apply some magic mask and animations it turns to a super laggy slide show. (I know I can cache it)

It's important to differentiate between a decoding bottleneck and a GPU bottleneck. In your case even though the video decode acceleration is located on the GPU, it is a totally separate "IP block." That logic is simply bundled on the GPU.

You can test decoding overhead vs GPU overhead by turning off all color Fx, including timeline effects such as stabilization, retiming, optical flow, etc, and test timeline playback and forward/reverse scrubbing performance. Then turn off decode acceleration in Resolve Settings, relaunch Resolve and try it again.

If it became fast with all Fx off, it's an Fx issue not a decoding issue. With all Fx off if timeline performance is fast with hardware decoding enabled but laggy with it disabled, that indicates hardware decode acceleration is working, at least to some degree. However you should also inspect decode acceleration activity as listed in Task Manager. Is that graph different when decode acceleration is enabled vs disabled?

You could also try generating optimized media using a DNx codec. That would save doing external transcoding.

xMaurycyx wrote:...I rendered the clip to AV1 and applied the same effects = 90% smoother. For the next project I'll render to AV1 in advance.

AV1 is a complex, compute-intensive Long GOP format roughly similar to HEVC. It should be difficult to play smoothly unless it's hardware accelerated. If you think that is smooth, do the above test and turn off decode acceleration. Is it still smooth?

Is it possible when you rendered the clip to AV1 it did not have the same timeline effects, such as optical flow or other compute-intensive effects applied in the timeline, not on the color page? Or is it possible rendering to AV1 "baked in" some compute-intensive effects that Resolve subsequently did not have to process?

There is no such thing as "It works or doesn't work for AV1 or H.264." Each codec has many different encoding options such as "open GOP" vs "closed GOP", number of B-frames, number of P-frames, M and N values (GOP Structure), etc. So you can have two H.264 codecs with the same resolution, same bitrate, same bit depth, and same chroma sampling, yet they can be radically different internally, and that can affect playback smoothness and compatibility for hardware decoding. The Puget Systems hardware acceleration tables are greatly simplified depictions. So it's possible on your specific system that for some reason the nVidia video decode acceleration doesn't handle Sony 8-bit 4:2:0 H264, but for some reason it handles AV1 better.

Historically it was necessary to edit using a transcoded "mezzanine" codec. When Long GOP codecs came along, they were first considered consumer items. The initial versions of hardware acceleration did not work that well and often had a negative impact on image quality. Later, Long GOP codecs proliferated into even professional cameras at higher bit depth and chroma sampling. Also more advanced hardware acceleration became available.

It's now generally possible to get good image results and (on proper hardware and software) get good editing performance on some 10-bit 4:2:2 Long GOP codecs. However it remains a tricky area. You cannot choose a camera, NLE, and hardware platform independently and expect it to just work. Those items must be meticulously researched and carefully selected.

In this area you cannot trust the vast majority of reviews. It is time-consuming and difficult to test video decode performance, plus requires lots of knowledge. Most reviewers don't have a deep understanding of video processing. They use simplified canned procedures such as timed export tests, and they don't differentiate between decode vs encode performance. Those tests are not informative about the overall video acceleration behavior.

CougerJoe

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 pm

xMaurycyx wrote:I still think the codec is not well supported here. GPU is in fact being used but when I apply some magic mask and animations it turns to a super laggy slide show. (I know I can cache it)

Well you don't have to guess it's not well supported, upload a small sample to google drive etc, see if others replicate your laggy performance with the camera file. Because you are a new user you can't share links, put spaces in the link so the forum can't detect it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve