Naming Timeline Rows That Stick

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nymills

Naming Timeline Rows That Stick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm

Coming from the world of Hollywood editors and Avid, we can name the timeline so it sticks and we can see it while editing large projects with the timeline rows shrunk to smallest size. We seem to be having trouble getting those same results here.

Any best practices we're missing to name those rows so we can them while the timeline row is small?

Thank you!

Jim Simon

Re: Naming Timeline Rows That Stick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 pm

Are you talking about track names? (Those will hide if the tracks get too small. Nothing we can do.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

Re: Naming Timeline Rows That Stick

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:28 am

nymills wrote:Coming from the world of Hollywood editors and Avid, we can name the timeline so it sticks and we can see it while editing large projects with the timeline rows shrunk to smallest size. We seem to be having trouble getting those same results here.

I agree with Jim's answer above. One possible workaround would be to get a bigger monitor and work in a slightly smaller resolution. I also tell people there are a lot more layout option possibilities when you use 2 GUI displays side by side. And you can store different user layouts using the options under workspace: for example, when necessary you could make the top viewers very tiny and then give yourself much more room for the video tracks below. And then in another under another user layout, you could make the viewers bigger.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve