Audio Distortion when side chaining audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mathematics

Audio Distortion when side chaining audio

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:43 pm

When I sidechain audio, within a minute of playing audio, I get crunchy distortion on the Background track which I am ducking the audio of. The vocal track plays normally.

I have tested this on two computers with both the Free and Studio versions. Both systems are up-to-date with ASIO drivers. This also happens when utilizing sidechaining in VST3 plugins.

I have tried increasing the buffer size.

System Specs:
Windows 11 ver23H2, OS Build:22631.3447
i9, 32GB RAM, RTX3090 24GB VRAM, Steinberg UR24C

POSSIBLE SOLUTION - restart the computer after installation. Resolve does not prompt to do so, but I think that may have solved the problem because the next day, it seems the problem has gone away. I think I just installed R19b and didn't reboot the computer.

UPDATE: The distortion comes and goes at random. It's something the devs should look into. There is something going on with the sound after an hour of editing.
Last edited by Mathematics on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
DaVinci Resolve, Capture One, Affinity Suite, Topaz AI Suite, Cubase, ProTools, Live, Digital Performer.

Reynaud Venter

Re: [BUG] Audio Distortion when sidechaining audio

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 am

Is this behaviour with the Fairlight Dynamics Processor?

Is the Ducker Track FX exhibiting the same behaviour?

Any improvement swapping Tracks?
i.e. moving A1 down to A2 - essentially changing the order of Tracks.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Mathematics

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 am

Yes, even with the Ducker Track FX, the distortion result is the same. For the record, I had the background track on Track 1 and the Vocal track on Track 2 because Track 1 for the audio was the natural default for the video one imported.

Now, changing the order where the source for the ducking is on Track 1, in this case, the Vocal track, and changing the video audio to Track 2, the background track, seems to mitigate the issue ONLY if I have the sidechain set; in other words, having the Ducker or VST3 on Track 2 with the sidechain engaged. If I turn off the sidechain, I get the same distortion.

From the basic testing, it seems there is an issue with ducking any track, but worse when you're ducking on Track 1; i.e., where the background track is on Track 1 and the vocal track is on Track 2.
DaVinci Resolve, Capture One, Affinity Suite, Topaz AI Suite, Cubase, ProTools, Live, Digital Performer.

Mathematics

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 9:10 pm

In the next couple of days after my initial post, the problem seems to have gone away. The order of the track assignment doesn't actually matter and I cannot replicate the condition. What I think may have solved the problem was simply rebooting the system after upgrading to R19b. So, if you install R19b, maybe consider rebooting the computer right after before using it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve