stabilizer and windows (masks)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Augusto Lombardi

stabilizer and windows (masks)

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 am

Hi people, if this topic was already developed i apologize, using the search i found nothing

my question is about using the stabilizer in color page and then tracking a window in the same shot

if i stabilize the shot then the window's tracking looks disconnected from the stabilization, this generates wrong psotioned window in time, basically i have the shot stabilized and the window's tracking that keeps working with the unstabilized shot....how to solve this?!?!? at the moment the only working solution looks to be generating a compound clip

this solution is not so nice cause i loose the shots grouping previously developed and the Gyro stabilization is not available in compounds so i really need to find a better solution

i often use footage from gimbals so stabilizer is a must for me

any help is wellcome

Augusto Lombardi

Re: stabilizer and windows (masks)

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 pm

just to be more precise

the Tracker Window and the Tracker Stabilizer can't work together

the tracker window ignores the stabilization coming from tracker stabilizer

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 11:37 pm

Augusto Lombardi wrote:i often use footage from gimbals so stabilizer is a must for me
Isn't the point of using a gimbal to stabilize when you shoot so you don't have to in post?

(I ask because I'm looking at an RSC 2.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:51 am

Augusto Lombardi wrote:Hi people, if this topic was already developed i apologize, using the search i found nothing

my question is about using the stabilizer in color page and then tracking a window in the same shot

Look at the Order of Node Operations. Basically, PTZR (position tracking) happens first, and then Power Windows happen afterwards. You have to stabilize first, and then once the positioning is acceptable, then and only then can you apply a Power Window and then track that window. Two different things.

It's actually kind of funny (not in a humorous way) when you meticulously track a window, then forget and stablize the shot, and not the window starts vibrating and jumping around the frame. The reason why is that it tracked using the "original" position of the clip. Now, you've changed that clip position, and tracking won't work.

If you just zoom straight into a clip (without a track) using Input Sizing, I believe the Window will follow. Just remember the mantra: Stabilize First, Window Track Second. Just confirmed this on a test. Don't stabilize after a window track.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Augusto Lombardi

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Augusto Lombardi wrote:i often use footage from gimbals so stabilizer is a must for me
Isn't the point of using a gimbal to stabilize when you shoot so you don't have to in post?

(I ask because I'm looking at an RSC 2.)

hi Jim good point!!

i'm used to build gimbals by myself using alexmos boards, recently i wanted to give a try to dji RS3 pro....what a delusional product...absolutely amazing to watch it on youtube with all the reviews from 'the experts' but when you have it in your hands and start to use it you get shacky results...i'm complaining by more than 1 year on dji forum but they don't care at all..they just want to sell and who cares of customers

so said that you have to stabilize in post much more than what you expect if you invest on a gimbal

i'm moving back to my old model that works much better than dji to have better footage

if you want to buy a good gimbal stay away from dji stuff
Last edited by Augusto Lombardi on Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Augusto Lombardi

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:37 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Augusto Lombardi wrote:Hi people, if this topic was already developed i apologize, using the search i found nothing

Look at the Order of Node Operations. Basically, PTZR (position tracking) happens first, and then Power Windows happen afterwards. You have to stabilize first, and then once the positioning is acceptable, then and only then can you apply a Power Window and then track that window. Two different things.

It's actually kind of funny (not in a humorous way) when you meticulously track a window, then forget and stablize the shot, and not the window starts vibrating and jumping around the frame. The reason why is that it tracked using the "original" position of the clip. Now, you've changed that clip position, and tracking won't work.

If you just zoom straight into a clip (without a track) using Input Sizing, I believe the Window will follow. Just remember the mantra: Stabilize First, Window Track Second. Just confirmed this on a test. Don't stabilize after a window track.

Hi Marc thanks for your time

yes i do follow that specific order but the result doesn't change, i would be happy if the color page was working as you say but it looks that the window tracker ignores anyway the stabilizer, that's exaclty my problem, i did try in all the ways possible, the result remains the same and i can't beleave it

i can give one more try then report again but till now the impression is that the two guys (tracker and stabilizer) don't comunicate so the window ignores the stabilizer

did you ever tried with a snsibly shacky footage? because with small wobbeling this problem is not that evident, with bigger wobbles it becoes much more visible

btw my workflow is ever stabilizing first, i do need it to see immediately what works and what doesen't..i start to do power windows much after

one more thing that i can't beleave is that the stabilizer is not node related...the windows instead depend by the node..so it is impossible to force any order simply because they work on 2 different 'layers'

the only way to get the results correctly is to use the compound option, so i stabilize first, then i create a compound, then i can apply a power window that remains connected properly....but this way i loose some other important options as i described in my first post

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:41 pm

Augusto Lombardi wrote:one more thing that i can't beleave is that the stabilizer is not node related...the windows instead depend by the node..so it is impossible to force any order simply because they work on 2 different 'layers'

Correct -- stabilization is CLIP-related. It's not inside a node per se. But a power window IS inside a specific node.

the only way to get the results correctly is to use the compound option, so i stabilize first, then i create a compound, then i can apply a power window that remains connected properly....but this way i loose some other important options as i described in my first post

I'm not seeing this and (again) I tried it just to check before I gave you my advice. If I tracked a window on a shaky shot, then stabilized the shot, the window vibrated. If I stabilized the shot first, then tracked a power window last, it worked. I'm doing all this on the Color page, if it makes a difference.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Augusto Lombardi

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm

HI Marc i beleave you but here i'm running crazy

the escape solution at the moment is the magic mask, the power window tracking keeps ignoring any data coming from stabilizer...for vignetting is ok but for more precise tracking it's impossible to use

i also deleted all the nodes and tested with one blank node only, there is no difference if stabilized before or after...the window tracker works fine only if i bypass the stabilizer, it considers only the not stabilized footage

this is going on since several releases, it's impossible that there is no solution

Augusto Lombardi

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm

just to give some more informations

i shoot with pocket4k in raw at maximum quality then often use the GyroStabilizer at full power

i don't know if this is relevant, just some more data

Augusto Lombardi

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 pm

hey guys is it only me having this issue!?!?!

no one else is getting the same issue? no one that can give a solution? this is happening to me since several years and on the project i'm working now i really need to have wondows to stay connected to stabilized data or i run crazy animatin manually all the windows

Return to DaVinci Resolve