Replace Sky Tracking

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ops-uk

Replace Sky Tracking

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 18.41.47.png
Top right corner of the frame has collapsed.
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 18.41.47.png (576.17 KiB) Viewed 633 times
I have been playing with the Replace Sky effect. I have a clip of a car driving down a long straight road, from the passenger perspective. There are hills on both sides. The sky was very dull and I wish to replace this. A straight replacement works fine, other than it does not move and therefore looks wrong. Instead I thought of tracking it. Track Original Sky does not work well at all. The track foreground works very well, apart from the fact that after a few seconds, the top right corner of they frame starts to collapse in. What am I missing? Is there a way around this?

Jim Simon

Re: Replace Sky Tracking

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 2:37 pm

See if this help any.

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ops-uk

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 pm

Thanks. I had already watched that. I have followed this. What I can’t work out is why when track foreground is selected does the sky start distorting and then collapsing.

I am doing this on a Mac desktop with Blackmagic GPU.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 2:39 am

ops-uk wrote:I have a clip of a car driving down a long straight road, from the passenger perspective. There are hills on both sides. The sky was very dull and I wish to replace this. A straight replacement works fine, other than it does not move and therefore looks wrong.

I'd say the problem there is that you're trying to track something in 3-dimensional space, which is beyond the limit of what this tool can do (to me). You can do simple stuff, like a pan from left to right with people walking on a beach. For a car driving down a road... that's a whole thing.

I can refer you to books and VFX artists who can provide clues as to the mystery of tracking composites in 3-dimensional space (like rapidly moving forward), but it's not something I'd expect to do automatically. The level of difficulty on something like this is considerable.

If I'm confronted by something like this, I'd get a large sky plate from one of the VFX stock footage vendors out there and try to do a manual track as best I could. If the car is bouncing around and the camera is handheld, I'd call a VFX artist, send them the shot, and ask for an estimate. You could go through a Fusion course and probably learn it yourself, given enough time -- a terrific resource for Fusion training is Bernd Klimm's VFX Study:

https://vfxstudy.com
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ops-uk

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 8:54 am

Thank you. I thought this may be the case. I will probably just try some simple colour correction instead.

It just shows that although these are great tools, they do have limits.

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 9:33 am

You can use SynthEyes, which now belongs to BorisFX. Not cheap, but excellent. I think there's a time-limited demo.
It'll generate a 3D camera track from your footage, which then can be used with a high resolution sky template in Fusion. SynthEyes can even export a scene right into Fusion (or Blender, or about 20 other formats).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 2:12 pm

Fusion has camera tracker built in, for someone who is new to tracking, it would be first thing to try.
I do stuff

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 2:32 pm

Worth a try, but I'd doubt it'll hold here. It can work well with human-made environments, but repetitive natural shapes are very tricky.
I recently had to track a drone shot over very regular plant structures and SynthEyes got it right, while Fusion, AEFX and C4D failed.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 6:16 pm

Solver doesn’t know anything about what the content of the shot is and doesn’t care one bit. Problem is in the autospawned feature tracks. Clean those up and problem disappears. Ofcourse when autotrack can’t produce usable feature tracks then there is a problem. Then dedicated matchmovers come to resque.
I do stuff

ops-uk

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 7:26 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I am very new to Resolve Studio and there is a lot to take in but I am learning fast! Version 19 does seem to have some great new features. It really is a great product for a modest cost.

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 12:30 am

Yeah, thanks, I know about that, I didn't want to make things too complicated without knowing if the OP will go further.
BTW, Jason, if you don't have a high-res sky still, you can generate relatively credible ones with fractal noise generators, scaled stronger horizontally and tilted towards the horizon. A bit of fading to lower contrast at the distance and most viewers won't care.

Return to DaVinci Resolve