Is there a way to reverse Voice Isolation?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ajzapf

Is there a way to reverse Voice Isolation?

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 12:09 am

I'm just wondering if there's a way to reverse the voice isolation tool? I do a lot of nature videos and sometimes there's voices in the background that I need to get rid of. The voice isolation tool works very well and for me I would like to be able to reverse it so that it removes voices. I don't know if this needs to be a suggestion or if this is possible to do with what is there? Or if there's another tool that will do that?

But I really need a tool like voice isolation that will "remove" human voices from the audio.
Dad • IT Pro • Photographer • YouTube Creator
Windows 11, DaVinci Resolve 18.6, Studio One 6 Pro
Dell R7920 2x Xeon Gold 6242R 3.10GHz, 40-Cores, 64GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, 2 Dell UP2516D Monitors
2 WD BLACK 1TB NVMe - 36TB's on Server Drive

Mike Manus

Re: Is there a way to reverse Voice Isolation?

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 3:44 am

Not an audio guy, but maybe do a voice isolation and then phase invert it and play it over the original.

Tekkerue

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 4:38 am

Yes, in the new v19 beta version you have separate controls for voice, background and ambience. So you can mute the voice and keep only the background sounds. I haven't downloaded the beta yet myself (I'm giving it a bit of time to see what kinds of problems are reported) but I've seen videos demoing the new voice separation tools.

Mike Manus wrote:Not an audio guy, but maybe do a voice isolation and then phase invert it and play it over the original.
Prior to v19 the voice isolation also removed vocal ambience and gave a more dry vocal sound. If you inverted to cancel it, then you'd still be left with the vocal ambience but not the dry vocal. I never tried it, but my guess is that would be very hit and miss depending on the source material. It might work ok if the original vocal is also dry without a lot of ambience/reverb.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 4:48 am

The Dialogue Separator Track FX in Resolve 19 may work depending on the source and the level of the voices.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 am

Give Supertone Clear a try, it might be able to do that (depending an audio content).
https://product.supertone.ai/clear
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ajzapf

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 3:57 pm

Tekkerue wrote:Yes, in the new v19 beta version you have separate controls for voice, background and ambience. So you can mute the voice and keep only the background sounds. I haven't downloaded the beta yet myself (I'm giving it a bit of time to see what kinds of problems are reported) but I've seen videos demoing the new voice separation tools.

Mike Manus wrote:Not an audio guy, but maybe do a voice isolation and then phase invert it and play it over the original.
Prior to v19 the voice isolation also removed vocal ambience and gave a more dry vocal sound. If you inverted to cancel it, then you'd still be left with the vocal ambience but not the dry vocal. I never tried it, but my guess is that would be very hit and miss depending on the source material. It might work ok if the original vocal is also dry without a lot of ambience/reverb.

Wow I can't wait to try the new version 19 I hope it does like you said and have a way to remove voice that voice tool works really well so if I can reverse it that's going to be perfect.

ajzapf

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm

Again I haven't upgraded to 19 studio yet. I really hope they have the setting to reverse the voice isolation. The voice isolation works amazing but for me I always need to remove the vocals from my surroundings not isolate them so if anybody knows that for sure this is in 19 can you please send me a link or a description I don't want to upgrade just for that one thing but I really need that feature I have to remove vocals from my nature surroundings.

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 pm

If you post a sample to a cloud service, those with 19 or Clear can try it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ajzapf

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:52 pm

Yes I could do that but the problem is my microphones are listening in on other things that I don't want them to be listening in on. The reason I'm trying to remove those vocals so I can use the video without intruding on other people's privacy they're not saying anything bad I just still don't have the right to record them so with that said I don't really want to share the video, I just need this feature to be able to remove vocals. Isolation tool works so well I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to have it reverse what it's doing but it doesn't do that in 18.6 it only isolates vocals.

Tekkerue

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 pm

ajzapf wrote:if anybody knows that for sure this is in 19 can you please send me a link or a description I don't want to upgrade just for that one thing but I really need that feature I have to remove vocals from my nature surroundings.
Yep, it's in there for sure. This is from BMD's description post for the v19 beta.
• Dialogue Separator FX to separate dialogue, background or ambience.

I've also seen several videos demoing it. Not all of the videos demo muting the voice, but this one does (jump to 4:13).

ajzapf

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:56 pm

Nice I see it is there in the dialog separator.

Tekkerue

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 pm

ajzapf wrote:Nice I see it is there in the dialog separator.
That is correct. But the one thing I've seen people getting confused about is this is on the track level, not clip level. You have to select the track to get these new controls to show up. If you select just a clip, you won't see these new controls. If you have only certain clips you want the voice separator applied to, you'll have to put them on their own track and put the voice isolation on the entire track. Maybe they will add this at the clip level, but for now it is is track level only.

ajzapf

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 pm

Yeah I hope they add it to the vocal isolation, because that works so well. And right now, in 18.6 yes you can do it easily edit by clicking "Audio". Like I said I just need the reverse.

I have a little nature sanctuary and I make videos from the live cameras and sometimes the neighbors have something going on and unfortunately there'll be a video that I can't use because their vocals are in it. And yes I could buy a plug in and do this and that but I was just blown away at how well the vocal isolation works and as a programmer also I know how easy it would be to be able to reverse that so I'm glad people are talking about this and they are starting to implement it.
Attachments
vocals.jpg
vocals.jpg (111.88 KiB) Viewed 559 times

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm

ajzapf wrote:I just still don't have the right to record them
If you're outside, you probably do.

That said, you can't get this right "on set"? There's no way to avoid recording what you don't want? Better mics? Different shooting times? Different location? Nothing?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ajzapf

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm

Nope no way the cameras run 24/7 there's three of them and sometimes the neighbors are out enjoying their yard so I'm just common courtesy it's bad enough they know the cameras are listening in I just don't want to push that limit they are my neighbors and I'm just being kind and publishing stuff with their voice in it so if I can remove their voice from other things and save that that would be great.

Here's a link to some of the cameras:

I have all this documented for many years now about 30 terabytes of data. Cornell labs and Berkeley and University in UK are interested in all the data as I'm the number one go to for any info on Allen Hummingbirds at this point.

But anyways have no reverse vocal removal tool would be awesome.

ajzapf

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm

Nope no way the cameras run 24/7 there's three of them and sometimes the neighbors are out enjoying their yard so I'm just common courtesy it's bad enough they know the cameras are listening in I just don't want to push that limit they are my neighbors and I'm just being kind and publishing stuff with their voice in it so if I can remove their voice from other things and save that that would be great.

Here's a link to some of the cameras:

I have all this documented for many years now about 30 terabytes of data. Cornell labs and Berkeley and University in UK are interested in all the data as I'm the number one go to for any info on Allen Hummingbirds at this point.

But anyways, having a vocal removal tool would be awesome.

Return to DaVinci Resolve