Canon R5C MXF Files - Input Color Space

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ntbone

Canon R5C MXF Files - Input Color Space

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:13 pm

I recently acquired a Canon R5C. I am shooting in XF-AFC in Clog3. I am using the managed color workflow in Resolve. When I import the footage, I was expecting the input color space to be set to Canon Log 3, but its set to the project color space (709). As far as I know the information is in the metadata for the files, but Resolve doesn't seem to be using it requiring me to manually set the input color space. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong?

John Paines

Re: Canon R5C MXF Files - Input Color Space

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:39 pm

You're not doing anything wrong. Resolve generally assigns raw formats correctly, as well as a few non-raw formats. Otherwise it usually defaults to rec. 709.

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm

Changing the Input Color Space won't have any impact on RAW footage. It's only needed for non-RAW media.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:19 pm

I'm well aware, Jim. But that wasn't the question, was it?

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:25 pm

Yeah, I misunderstood.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ntbone

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 8:14 am

Thanks. Its a shame that Resolve can't figure out it was in Canon Log 3. The XF Utilty, which has at least one confusing quirk, shows all the camera details.

My options are to either set the default input color space (I believe this is a thing you can do) to Canon Log 3, or apply the input color space to each clip. It gives a very nice starting place for grading and its very nice to have that now. I had an 5D MK III/IV and R prior to this. Only the R could shoot log, and I am not sure which Canon Log it is but the ones in Resolve generally didn't seem to give me a good starting place for that camera.

John Paines

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 11:56 am

ntbone wrote:My options are to either set the default input color space (I believe this is a thing you can do) to Canon Log 3, or apply the input color space to each clip.

The first option won't work. You'll need to set the input color space in the media pool. Select all the clips at once, right-click one, then set the input color space to clog3.

Return to DaVinci Resolve