Two questions: 1) Inspector, and 2) Mac Fonts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dan Anon

Two questions: 1) Inspector, and 2) Mac Fonts

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 pm

I previously worked for almost 20 years at a commercial TV station where I produced commercials. I've been using Resolve for only 5 months or so at this new job, and some of the functionality I used often isn't leaping off the screen at me.

Question 1) The "Inspector" doesn't tell me the duration of a clip (seems to me an oversight on someone's part) - specifically, a title. How can I know how long it is, other than by marking in and out points?

Question 2) Mac Sonoma font management. Yeah, not a 100% Resolve query. I'm sorry about that. But still, there are over 350 "installed" fonts that Sonoma will *not* allow me to delete/remove/hide, and Resolve dutifully makes me scroll thru all of 'em to find one or two useful fonts. How do you all deal with putting together and using *your* fonts?

I appreciate you. Thanks for taking the time.
Dan
Resolve 18.6.6
Sonoma 14.4.1
Mac Studio M2 Max 64GB

BetterLifeTV.tv

Charles Bennett

Re: Two questions: 1) Inspector, and 2) Mac Fonts

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm

You can see the clip length in the Edit Index under Record Duration. Apart from titles you can also see the Source duration before it's added to the timeline. My examples show a title both in single screen and dual screen modes. The title length is shown as 4secs 36frames as this is a 50fps timeline.
Clip Duration in the Timeline1.jpg
Clip Duration in the Timeline1.jpg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Clip Duration in the Timeline2.jpg
Clip Duration in the Timeline2.jpg (318.7 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Dan Anon

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 7:50 pm

Nicely explained for me!

Thank you, Charles.

Dan
Resolve 18.6.6
Sonoma 14.4.1
Mac Studio M2 Max 64GB

BetterLifeTV.tv

Peter Cave

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 11:06 pm

Clip duration is shown in the Metadata Panel.

Font management in Mac OSX Sonoma is unchanged from previous versions. You can add/delete and group fonts. I don't know why you can't delete fonts.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Dan Anon

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

Thanks for that metadata gem, Peter.

I can appreciate that for dyed-in-the-wool Mac users, it's font-business as usual. But as a Windoze guy I have no idea how it was before Sonoma. I only know that googling "Mac Sonoma font management" leads one eventually to a rather long and detailed page authored by Kurt Long and dated January of this year. That page is at w w w . jkstudios . com for the curious.

Mr. Long begins with a disclaimer (dated January 2024) that essentially says that whatever he has already shared about Apple font management tricks has recently been made moot by Apple. If Apple put the font there, it's Hammer time. Can't touch that! Testing his assertions, I discovered that in no way can I delete or hide any font Apple has installed - even if I've previously told my Mac Studio that I don't speak that language!

And that led me to my query here: with 360 odd fonts on my system (and presumably on other Macs, too) how do Resolve users deal with making titles if they have to run thru hundreds of fonts. Is there a font-wrangling utility that Resolve likes? Can I put "fonts to use with Resolve" in a secret folder and tell Resolve to *only* get fonts in that folder?

I appreciate your input.
Dan
Resolve 18.6.6
Sonoma 14.4.1
Mac Studio M2 Max 64GB

BetterLifeTV.tv

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 3:04 am

I stayed on Monterey and Ventura and can delete fonts to my hearts delight.
I erased Sonoma after playing with it for a few hours. Maybe someone else can chime in with a solution.
BTW, 19 still seems to work well under Monterey, even if it is not being tested by BM. Seems to have no other bugs than those reported under later systems.
Since you've got a M2, you should still be able to run Ventura.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 am

Uli Plank wrote:I stayed on Monterey and Ventura and can delete fonts to my hearts delight. I erased Sonoma after playing with it for a few hours.

Yeah, Sonoma scares the crap outta me. I get very paranoid when Apple starts seizing control of my computer and preventing me from accessing my own drives, my own fonts, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm waiting for Sonoma to settle down before we switch over from 13.3.

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dan Anon

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 2:10 pm

Wow. Uli & Marc, those are *very* interesting comments. You pretty much echo my feelings. "MY machine. I do what *I* want with it. You do NOT get to tell me what I cannot do."

Honestly, this isn't the first time I've heard this sort of thing from peeps in the Apple camp. We have a 40 foot video wall and the folks that make a nice and flexible video presentation controller have assured us that downgrading the OS on the machine that runs their software would be beneficial to us.

But, we're going off into the weeds a bit and that wasn't my intent. :D

Font management. Mac Sonoma. How do I? Or even can I?

Dan
Resolve 18.6.6
Sonoma 14.4.1
Mac Studio M2 Max 64GB

BetterLifeTV.tv

Return to DaVinci Resolve