Cloud Collaberation - Very confused - Please help

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

The lemming

Cloud Collaberation - Very confused - Please help

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 3:40 pm

Both me and a mate are hobbyists who create stuff on YouTube. We are in no way shape or form professionals.

From time to time we try to work on each other's projects, from separate locations, to help out with editing a timeline or a bit of colour grading.

In the past we solved this problem with using TeamViewer, which was a screen sharing software. However but that solution has not been usable for some time. Basically Teamviewer is broken and I can't use it for simple non commercial stuff.

Both me and my mate are using the Studio version 18.6.

Could somebody please explain what options there are so that we can collaborate with each other on projects. This sort of collaboration would happen maybe three or four times a year?

Would all this cost a monthly fee?
And could we use our NAS storage devices as an option?
We both have Synology NAS boxes.

I have tried to follow along with the Blackmagic website but the concept is confusing me.

Cheers
Windows 11 Pro
CPU AMD Ryzen 3900x
RAM 64Gb
GPU RTX 3090
C Drive Samsung SSD
Other drives M.2 NVME 2Tb

The lemming

Re: Cloud Collaberation - Very confused - Please help

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 am

Hopeful BUMP.
Windows 11 Pro
CPU AMD Ryzen 3900x
RAM 64Gb
GPU RTX 3090
C Drive Samsung SSD

The lemming

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm

The lemming wrote:Hopeful BUMP.

Anybody?
Please?
Windows 11 Pro
CPU AMD Ryzen 3900x
RAM 64Gb
GPU RTX 3090
C Drive Samsung SSD

Ryan Bloomer

PostWed May 01, 2024 12:00 pm

A very basic overview of Cloud Collaboration is paying $5/month to host a shared database through Blackmagic. This shared database is connected in Resolve through each users Blackmagic Cloud login credentials.

The database is only the organization and edits of a project, you will still need to sync media between the two of you. Many people are using Google Drive or Dropbox to accomplish this. Perhaps the NAS' have this capability as well, but I'm not sure as I don't know Synology products at all.

There are many ways to accomplish a workflow, it just depends what you both have, how often you need to "sync" media/assets, and how much you need to "collaborate". There are also proxy workflows that can be established through Google Drive, Dropbox, or directly through Resolve's Cloud services (which is another fee for more storage).

If you can provide more details of how large your projects are, what you're looking to accomplish in collaboration, we might be able to suggest a workflow for you.

Uli Plank

PostWed May 01, 2024 12:08 pm

The cloud Library might be 5 bucks well spent. You need only one account per project, but all participants need the same set of clips, proxies or originals. Exchanging those can be done via any cloud service. One recent development is a free (until now) point-to-point service called Blip.net. I’m not sure if the Windows is ready by now or still in beta, though.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

The lemming

PostFri May 03, 2024 10:14 am

Ryan Bloomer wrote:If you can provide more details of how large your projects are, what you're looking to accomplish in collaboration, we might be able to suggest a workflow for you.

Hello

Our projects are very small which are shot on consumer and prosumer cameras. The projects are small maybe 30 minutes maximum and are published onto YouTube.

Its mainly the Colour Grading and balancing of shots that I am interested in. Hopefully in real time so that both people can contribute.

We both have Synology NAS boxes that can be mirrored/syncronised with the same footage out of camera but that is dependant on bandwidth. Here in the UK we are limited to 10Mb upload speeds which is awful considering that I have +100Mb download speeds.

I've never used or experimented with proxies. Would this help if we shared proxies on the NAS boxes and then when it comes to rendering use the actual footage whit who ever has that footage?

Is there any way that we could share our databases and syncronise them over the internet through our shared Synology NAS boxes?

We basically have our own Cloud Storage with a combined 45Tb of storage to play with and no monthly fees to rent that space.

Its all very confusing but once I get the hang of it then I'm sure I can solve this problem.

Is the only way to share a database by using Blackmagic's own cloud solution?
Windows 11 Pro
CPU AMD Ryzen 3900x
RAM 64Gb
GPU RTX 3090
C Drive Samsung SSD

Uli Plank

PostFri May 03, 2024 11:34 am

You could send .drp files back and forth, but BM's solution makes things easier.
If your connections and your computers are fast enough, you can all work with originals. Otherwise, proxies make stain up-to-date faster. The station where you are grading should use the originals.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve