Conform timeline from FCP to Davinci into one comuter

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ghost355

Conform timeline from FCP to Davinci into one comuter

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm

I have FCP and Davinci Resolve in the same system.
I have RAID with media files. My task is move selection I already made in several big videos to use them in Davinci.
In FCP I have make a timeline with clips selected from these media files, then did XML export of the timeline.
In Davinci firstly I imported all these media files in a bin. Then I imported XML timeline from FCP to a new bin. Now I have a sequence timeline with numbers of clips in that new bin and many of them is duplicate other, each new clip from the same source media clip has its own media clip in the bin.
The question is - how to reconform timeline to media files in the first bin with media files? I just don't like many duplicates in the new bin, I want just one timeline there.

franciscovaldez

Re: Conform timeline from FCP to Davinci into one comuter

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm

There should be a box to be able to import XML without importing the clips as well.

But you could just manually delete the new imported footage or bin. That media will go offline on your timeline but you can right click on the timeline and choose recomform from bin. Then select the bin where you have your clips.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

ghost355

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 pm

Thanks.
I tried to repeat work process on my home computer, and it was as I supposed, just appear new timeline and only one copy of source video if I use auto import source clips with XML import. And wasn't any additional video clips if I import my media before. I thought the same would be in my work station, it would be as I read in manual.
But something went wrong. May be will try a clean project for import the timeline from FCP only?

ghost355

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 am

I think the problem is in MXF source file with many (24) mono audio tracks. The clips on the timeline of DaVinci appear after import XML with the same track number, but the sound just is the same on all tracks.
Is there recommendations how to properly import XML from FCP with multi track sound?

After import XML in a bin, I see one timeline clip, one video +audio clip and a lot of compound clips.
V+A clips has name as filename1.mxf, other compound clips have just the same names as filename1 only.
Some clips have no sound, but some have sound.
I can delete all compounds then reconform all clips in timeline to V+A file with matching via timecode and loose file name (tight can't find match, I suppose the problem is in ".mxf" ). I can use Reconform from Media Storage instead From Bins with the same result.

One more strange thing is the auto imported mxf A+V file has 576 mono audio channel instead 24 as was in original mxf. The file imported directly from Finder to Davinci bin has right 24 audio channels. If reconform timeline to that right imported mxf, then no sound in some clips anyway.

ghost355

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 am

I find an advice from https://getrecut.com/xml-and-multitrack ... i-resolve/
I just selected all clips on my imported XML timeline, then use Clip Atributes on the Audio tab enable for each track its right track. There were the same Embedded Channel 1 for all 24 tracks. I change them to other number tracks and audio appeared right.
Before I deleted compound clips and mxf A+V file, then reimport mxf file, then used Reconfrom from Bins

Return to DaVinci Resolve