Nested timelines - color shift issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frank Fischer

Nested timelines - color shift issue

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 am

Hi all,

after cutting, we color grade our multicam clips in the color page. Nodes will be on "Clip", "Group", and "timeline" level to achieve the result. This process leads to a final "Master" timeline. This is the packaged for export (logos etc.)

To package this "Master" timeline, we drag this "Master" timeline into a static timeline that simply contains the respective overlaying packaging elements (logos, film titles, text overlays, credits, ...).

The issue:

As soon as the "Master" timeline is click-dragged into the packaging time line we see an unexpected color shift (slightly darker mids hence more saturation), although there is NO colorgrading applied in this timeline.

Any ideas appreciated, please?

Thx
Frank
DR Studio 16.0
Apple Imac 27" 2017 (with max I7, max RAM, 8GB GPU, 2TB SSD internal)

franciscovaldez

Re: Nested timelines - color shift issue

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 pm

You mentioned you have timeline grades applied. Those won't carry over to the nested timeline because they stay at the original timeline.

You could apply those grade to the new timeline and probably keyframe out the titles.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Jim Simon

Re: Nested timelines - color shift issue

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 pm

I would recommend a reverse approach.

Copy/Paste the logos, film titles, text overlays, credits into the Master timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve