What's your preferred criteria using groups when grading?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

joselmartinezdiaz

What's your preferred criteria using groups when grading?

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 am

Hi,

I'm experimenting with this new node layers thing and thinking about how could it be best used with fixed node tree structure and clip grouping and would like to ask this collective mind of ours what's your preferred procedure and best criteria when organising clips in groups for long form grading. Also, I'm interested in knowing how are you splitting your fixed node tree in how many node layers with DR 19 new feature.

I tend to organise groups in a per-scene-per camera-angle (light area?, as divided by eye lines) and like to put most of my scene grade, film-look and CST out in the post group. Something I have to fiddle this a bit (having two cameras of different makers on the same light angle, thus requiring different CST out and some match node)...

What's your criteria for clip grouping on long form grading? How are you planning on using the node layer feature with your fixed node tree structure (L1 primaries, L2 secondaries, etc).

Any group navigating tips worth sharing?. Found this a powerful feature in the Lightbox view, but really miss a more obvious visual clue on the timeline/clip view (background colours?), something more than a tiny chain icon...

Cheers!

Jim Simon

Re: What's your preferred criteria using groups when grading

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 pm

I've been experimenting with the new Node Stack feature by using:

Balance
Primaries
Secondaries
Grade

I like that I can Copy/Paste each Stack to other clips, without disturbing the other Stacks.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve