How to keep a mask from moving with an image

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BradCDavis

How to keep a mask from moving with an image

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 2:56 pm

I guess I'm looking for the opposite of mask tracking.

What I have is an image on my timeline that I put a simple circle mask around from the color page. Now, on the edit page I want to enlarge the image slowly along the timeline but when I do, the mask enlarges with it. I don't want that. I want the mask to stay the same size no matter where I move or enlarge the image the mask is attached to.

I hope this is clear enough to understand.

It this feat possible?

Jim Simon

Re: How to keep a mask from moving with an image

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 9:41 pm

I would probably do this in Fusion myself. But maybe try adding the Power Window to an Adjustment Clip instead of directly on the clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sean Nelson

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 am

Yeah, the nice thing about Fusion is that you have 100% control over which effects are done in what order. When you start combining effects from the various Resolve pages you often get caught up in an implied order that you tend to forget about until it jumps up and bites you.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am

Jim Simon wrote:I would probably do this in Fusion myself. But maybe try adding the Power Window to an Adjustment Clip instead of directly on the clip.

I believe if you used a Power Window as a Timeline grade (and keyframed it to turn on and off as needed), you could get the same result provided you were doing an Input Sizing change.

I'm trying to figure out why the o.p. needs to do this. I think a Circular Wipe on the Edit page might do the same thing, if they're trying to do a vignette or an iris effect or something like that. As I always say, "there's often 4 or 5 different ways to accomplish the same thing in Resolve -- it's a question of choosing the method that's best and fastest in a particular situation."
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Chris Jeczmyk

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 am

Hi

I have exactly the opposite problem right now:

i recently updated to the beta version of Davicni Resolve Studio 19 and wanted to make a mask with an alpha output in the color page. that works. BUT when i start moving the clip i masked in the edit page via the transform tab the mask is not moving with the clip. I wanted to resize the clip to move it somewhere else but the mask was still applied in size to the originial size of the clip when i made the mask. That was no issue before.

best regards
Chris

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 pm

Sean Nelson wrote:When you start combining effects from the various Resolve pages
That is what I don't like doing.

It confuses me. :?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve