Export levels washed out problem STILL rearing its ugly head

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thad christian

Export levels washed out problem STILL rearing its ugly head

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:44 pm

So Ive read the history on the washed out levels when exporting out of Resolve being washed out.
Still a relative newbie on this and I STILL cant seem to figure out where I am going wrong. Help!

Edited a project Davinci Color managed timeline of mostly Arri 35 footage with Project settings set at:
Color Processing mode SDR
Output color space as REC709.
Viewing DR output on a new Apple Studio Display

Have exported to various formats of QT H265/H264/ProRes and every time the colors are desaturated and black levels are raised (washed out) Have exported with REC709 and REC709A setting. In quicktime it looks washed out but VLC viewer it looks normal. In Frame IO it looks washed out as it does in quicktime.

Pulling my hair out. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Running a Mac Studio with OS Ventura
Davinci Resolve 18.6

Nils-does-things

Re: Export levels washed out problem STILL rearing its ugly

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 pm

Not sure which history you've read.

But here's some more happy reading on this forum:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=101253&hilit=gamma+shift

Page 17 I think is the latest *sort of* consensus. It's a rite of passage when you've read all the pages there.

For web content I've settled on gamma 2.2 and tagging 1-1-1 (rec709-A) and I only manage in nodes. There's a whole other thread debating the nodes approach.

Where's your Arri 35 footage destined, who's going to be watching and where?
Apple Studio Display is nice, but it's not a calibrated monitor, which I'm sure you're aware of.

Good luck.
"There are three types of people. Those who can count and those who can't."

Return to DaVinci Resolve