automatic derush for long drone footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rapapar

automatic derush for long drone footage

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:18 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way to automatically edit long videos captured by FPV (First Person View) drones, similar to the functionality offered by DJI applications?

I've been looking into streamlining the post-production process for FPV drone footage, particularly for longer recordings where manual editing can be quite time-consuming. I'm aware of DJI's efficient editing capabilities for their drones, which greatly simplify the editing process, especially for non-commercial videos.

Are there any tools available that can analyze footage, identify key moments, and compile them into a concise, visually appealing edit?

Thank you :)
https://parallaxya.com

Jim Simon

Re: automatic derush for long drone footage

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 pm

rapapar wrote:Are there any tools available that can analyze footage, identify key moments, and compile them into a concise, visually appealing edit?
Yes. :)

They're called Assistant Editors. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 pm

well there are no automatic solutions in resolve for that, resolve is really made for the user to make the decisions. but it's an interesting thought with all the development going on lately. But at the same time i think that "key moments" are so user-specific, project specific, and so subjective, that it wouldn't make sense to me to leave that up to the computer to make these decisions for me. (i realise i sound old now :D ) And i highly doubt that it should be a long process to just select the interesting parts, as most fpv drones won't fly that long on a single battery.

when i used my drone, i think i can select all the interesting parts in less than a few minutes.

I have never used dji editing software (lightcut?), but i'm curious how it decides what a key moment is.

Stephen Swaney

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 pm

They're called Assistant Editors

I laughed!
Forgive my noobishness, but it seems that this task is just what the Cut Page and Speed Editor were made for.
With the days footage imported and the Viewer in Source Tape mode:
    Scroll to the area of interest and set In point
    Scroll to end of area and set Out.
    Press Append
Repeat as needed. You can do this without the Speed Editor, but the Scroll wheel is waaay faster than the mouse for me.
Apologies if this is obvious.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am

Obviously not obvious, given the number of people who hate the Cut page. But that’s exactly what it was made for. I’ve seen some students who work blazing fast with it after a few days of practice. BM should have called it the Newscutter room.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 am

Jim Simon wrote:They're called Assistant Editors. ;)

As always, Jim beat me to it. I think a lot of this stuff has to be interpreted by human beings, decide if it's a good shot or a bad shot, what metadata it gets, and all that stuff. I don't see an easy A.I. solution for a long time. A good assistant editor is worth their weight in gold.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve