Changing BRAW fps in a clip to avoid constant renders

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

OnThePath

Changing BRAW fps in a clip to avoid constant renders

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm

Hello,

I am looking for an answer to how to approach this challenge and I keep coming up short. Thank you in advance for any knowledge you might send my way.

The Situation:

Shot a short film in 6k BRAW. Had a second shooter that did not check his FPS settings and delivered to me some amazing BRAW footage from a 6kPro on a GIMBAL. But it is 25fps and the majority of the material is 24fps. So dropping it in requires constant editing... even with a proxy. I would like to keep everything in BRAW for finishing color consistency and 12 bit color, but I cannot find a way to render out the fps from 25-24 without transcoding it to a PRE RES option.

So my questions are:

1) would a PRORES 444 output shift things too much?
2) How much Color and/or dynamic range would be sacrificed to make this export?
3) are there recommended PRO RES 444 export settings to use?
4) Does Davinci work with PRO RES 444? Does it struggle?
5) Is it worth struggling through the constant rendering to keep things BRAW?
6) is there a way to make a 24fps PROXY for the 25fps footage and then have it export at a rendered out 24fps on export?
7) will using a PRORESS 444 make it harder to match the clips of a scene to each other?

I have a RAW converter to get PRO RES RAW into a project, but no idea how to edit a BRAW clip, change a value, and keep it BRAW.

Thank you for your time y'all!

TG

Jim Simon

Re: Changing BRAW fps in a clip to avoid constant renders

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:54 pm

The shots won't work changing their FPS to 24 in Clip Attributes?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 pm

If you can live with the slight anomaly of playing 25fps material back at 24fps, the simplest way to do it is 1) create a new project, 2) set the default timeline to 24fps, 3) before adding any clips to the project, change the mismatched frame rate preference to "none", 4) bring in your clips to the project.

From that point on, when you add the 25fps clip to the timeline, they'll run at 24fps (including camera audio, if any). No speed interpolation, no proxies, no transcoding, etc. etc. etc.

OnThePath

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 pm

Thank you for your quick reply!

Adjusting Clip Attributes slows it down to 24fps and you don't notice it too much when it goes to slow mo, but 30fps is obvious and you have to speed it back up as the audio will no longer match the speed change. But I don't have to render in the timeline that way...

and John is there a way to do this adjustment once the clips are already in? I have already done a syncing session to the clips with off camera audio that was tricky and I don't want to restart that painstaking process.

After looking a bit... I'm not seeing the setting for "Change the Mistmatched frame rate". Where is that located? I looked in my project settings and program preferences. I must be missing it?

Thank you,

TG

Return to DaVinci Resolve