viewing output of another timeline when editing in Fusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

memoakten

viewing output of another timeline when editing in Fusion

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 am

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the DaVinci ecosystem, but have a lot of experience with loads of NLEs and other node based compositors. I'm trying out DaVinci because I like the idea of having an NLE and node based compositor in one. My question is:

I have a very simple edit, say clips A B C D E F etc. in a timeline called EDIT.

These are all linear EXR sequences, and I'd like to add the same effects to the entire edit. E.g. a glow, some comping, and finally color space transform from linear to rec.2020 **at the very end of the pipeline**. This I have done by creating a new timeline called POST, putting the EDIT timeline in it, and adding my effects to that timeline.

Then I goto my EDIT timeline, set the viewer on the left to display the POST timeline, Gang the viewers, and then I can scrub and play on the EDIT timeline, while previewing the finished version with the color transform and final post effects. All is good.

HOWEVER, I'd like to add Fusion comp and effects to each clip A B C D etc. in the EDIT timeline. When I go into Fusion on a clip in the EDIT timeline, I cannot see the results of the POST timeline anymore. This makes it very difficult for me to make the changes that I need to make, because I'm previewing the clips in linear space.

What is the best workflow for this?

P.S. If I add a LUT to the clips in the media bin, the effects chain doesn't work anymore, because this clamps the values to 0...1 and changes the curves. I think I need the color space transform at the very end.

Jim Simon

Re: viewing output of another timeline when editing in Fusio

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 pm

There are some issues with nested timelines, currently. Until those work flawlessly, I would recommend simply NOT using them.

If the effects are simple enough, I would probably do them on Edit and just Copy/Paste Attributes. If I felt I needed to do them in Fusion, I could still turn on Clips in the Fusion GUI and Copy/Paste the work to the clips I want.

For the Linear to 709 work, I would definitely be doing that with Color Management or CST's on the Color page.

That said, I cannot recommend strongly enough taking a step back from all projects until you complete some training for Resolve. Experience with other software will help, but there's nothing like learning the specifics of how Resolve works. ;)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

memoakten

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 3:53 pm

>> There are some issues with nested timelines, currently. Until those work flawlessly, I would recommend simply NOT using them.

Oh thanks for the heads up.

>> If the effects are simple enough, I would probably do them on Edit and just Copy/Paste Attributes. If I felt I needed to do them in Fusion, I could still turn on Clips in the Fusion GUI and Copy/Paste the work to the clips I want.

Yes I ended up copy pasting the effects (including linear to 709 CST) into the fusion graph of each clip. My clips are multi-layer EXR sequences (with cryptomatte etc), and I'm grading different parts/objects/layers of the images differently. Is that possible in the Color page? I could only find that in fusion. So within fusion, I need to be able to see the final image (including final color transform) to be able to do the per-object grades correctly.

>> That said, I cannot recommend strongly enough taking a step back from all projects until you complete some training for Resolve. Experience with other software will help, but there's nothing like learning the specifics of how Resolve works. ;)
For sure. I've done a few hours of tutorials, which of course is barely scratching the surface. But I also think sometimes having a project with clear goals is the best way to learn a new piece of software. (Especially when your needs are a thin deep vertical slice, as opposed to a

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:03 pm

memoakten wrote:Is that possible in the Color page?
Ahh, for that you have gone beyond my experience. You can do the Color specific training I linked above, or hope one of our colorists sees this thread.

Good luck. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 pm

memoakten wrote:I also think sometimes having a project with clear goals is the best way to learn a new piece of software.
Oooof! For Resolve? I can't agree. The BMD training manuals are absolutely the best way to learn, in my view. (At least the basics. Your own projects will be good for pushing beyond the basics.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 12:47 am

You could use a Colorspace Transform node in the Fusion page to go from linear to whatever colorspace and gamma you require. Maybe that way you wouldn't need to use the POST timeline? I don't think I 100% understand why you need it. I could be missing something.

The bottom line is that you can view your picture correctly on the computer display, and on the external display regardless of your setup. My understanding is that the latest V19 bring improvements in this regard, but I'm on V17.4 and do it anyway.

You can feed your Cryptomatte mattes to the color page. You can add any number MediaOuts in Fusion and pipe alphas to them. Then in the color page you add inputs in the node flow and get your mattes there.

The problem for you (maybe) is that the color page is downstream from the Fusion page. You can't see the color changes when you're in Fusion. The only way to hack this order of operations is to do color, then place that clip into a compound clip and than you take the compound clip to Fusion. But this will not work for you because you need to pipe mattes from Fusion to the color page. You could make an infinitely deep nest of compound clips but I wouldn't recommend that.

Ideally I wish there was a way to send anything to the viewer. For example, view the output of the color page while you're actually working in Fusion. I used that feature a lot in DS, but Resolve doesn't have that.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve