Can we expect an update to the manual anytime soon?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

two_tone

Can we expect an update to the manual anytime soon?

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 7:27 pm

Hi, I'm beginning to regret the decision to learn Resolve a few weeks ago due to the seeming lack of current documentation. I've been down the road of learning a big platform with thousands of pages of "documentation" that was mostly out of date several versions ago with so many omissions and innacuracies relative to the current version of the program that attempting to use it to answer even basic questions is both counterproductive and infuriating (looking at you Tableau).

I'm going to check if the color and sound sections of the manual are as out of date as the editing and cut pate sections seem to be before I give up as I can probably muddle through by wasting hundreds of hours completely needlessly while learning the editing workflow but this really shouldn't be necessary. Am I going crazy or does this match the recent experience of others when attempting to get started?

If you feel the urge to respond by telling me about all the great free tutorial content on YT and elsewhere I'm well aware of it but I feel like accurate, complete, current documentation is not optional for a succesful company like BMD marketing software for professional use. YT and other video training is simply not an alternative to such documentation for efficiently getting correct answers to basic UI and workflow questions for folks who aren't doing this for a hobby or entertainment...

Jim Simon

Re: Can we expect an update to the manual anytime soon?

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 pm

I would love to see a revamp of all the training materials for 19, but I don't expect we'll get that before 19 goes Gold.

In the meantime, there is this if it helps any.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 2905211000
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

Re: Can we expect an update to the manual anytime soon?

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 pm

In the centre column of the Support page on the Blackmagic website you will find the 18.6 Reference Manual from December 2023. This along with the Resolve 19 New Features Guide which is in the same column and referenced by Jim, should help.
As version 19 is in its first beta, things could change before the final release.

Having said that, the basic editing, audio, and color workflows haven't changed that much, just some of the details and added tools. What version of the Reference Manual are you using?

There are plenty of professional users, and some BMD staff on this forum who are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve