Do I have to relink Optimized Media?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheCameraGuy

Do I have to relink Optimized Media?

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 pm

Hey there!

I have a project I thought I could work with without generating optimized media.
Well the project became more and more complex and now I am generating optimized media in the middle of cutting.

Do I need to relink the clips that are allready in my timeline to the optimized media or will resolve do this automatically?

I have no idea how to test this aside from noticing a better performance. But to be honest: I fear a placebo effect...

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

Re: Do I have to relink Optimized Media?

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 pm

I use reslove 15. I shoot braw 4k from bmpcc 4k or DNXHD on nikon via hdmi out to atomos. Once I got some 4k from a sony log camera from a friend to edit. I do really simple short stuff ( like 2 minutes or less). I got 2 computers, one for serious editing and a laptop omen gaming computer. the serious computer has lots of drives and a dedicated full graphics card and a few monitors ( 2 dvi and one SDI). The laptop is just one drive partitioned into c and d and has an nvidia chip.
So I don't have good pro stuff in general and keep it short.
If I edit 4k from sony the serious computer starts to choke and I optimize. I put the 4k stuff into a 1080p timeline and optimize to dnxhd 1080p. That just puts stuff into cache so I can work without choking. If I want I can still zoom in and reframe 4k stuff, but the playback after rendering timeline is smooth.
Basically the same on the laptop.

It's my impression that optimizing to a lower res just effects the cache after rendering timeline.
When delivering I use proxy ( optimized) if available, at 1080p.

You have to figure out what works best so you don't choke on stuff due to the power and storage spaces on your system. There is no one size fits all. Work on small stuff til you get it right and then go longer if you can and see how far you can go before you start choking.

The biggest effect of all this for me is when I go from edit to color tabs, fast, and how the system reacts. I don't use fusion or fairlight. Sometimes things don't work and I have to save project, close, reopen and see if that fixed stuff ( the choking etc.) Usually it does.

When you optimize you are not replacing your original footage, you are just caching the lower res so you can work without choking.

Now that I responded others will chime in and you won't be alone here anymore... ( post not responded to before now ). Good luck.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 pm

Under the Playback menu, check Use Optimized Media if Available.

You're good to go. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

TheCameraGuy

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Thank you very much :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve