fn + F2 do not work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MEM42H2G2

fn + F2 do not work

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 8:41 pm

Yesterday I was super happy to have figured out the Mac keyboard shortcut to use the F2 function (rename), that is using fn+F2 (I'm a beginner). I used it in Edit and Fusion mode and it worked just fine, I got the window to rename the clip automatically in both environments.

Unfortunately, today it is not working in Edit mode anymore. It still works in Fusion mode, but when I switch to Edit mode, select a clip and push fn + F2 the rename window does not appear anymore. I didn't change anything in the keyboard settings. I even dragged the red timeline on the clip to rename (cause for some fonctions it seems to need to be on the clip in order to work), but still no rename window. When I select the clip to rename, and right click on it, the option to rename doesn't even appear in that menu anymore - whereas it still does in Fusion.
I don't know if I accidentally clicked on something on the keyboard that would have indadvertedly deactivated the keyboard shortcut to rename, but I find that very strange (and annoying).

I hope someone can help me figure out what's going on.

Thank you in advance !

Marie-Eve

Uli Plank

Re: fn + F2 do not work ANYMORE

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 1:18 am

You know that those keys are usually mapped to control the display?
You may need to change that by holding the fn key or override in the system settings.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 am

Sounds like that’s exactly what the OP says they’re doing.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 4:15 am

Yes, but sometimes it helps to switch it again, I have experienced exactly that.
Apart from this, switching to another keyboard layout and back again may be worth a try.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

MEM42H2G2

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 3:24 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Yes, but sometimes it helps to switch it again, I have experienced exactly that.
Apart from this, switching to another keyboard layout and back again may be worth a try.

First, thank you for your reply.

I have in fact, like I actually wrote, tried holding down the fn key. I don't know if this information is pertinent, but I work on OS Sonoma 14.4.1 (supposedly all up to date), and have the most recent version of Davinci Pro (18.66). Do you know of any incompatibility problems with this recent MacOS version and Davinci Pro ? I know a lot of software companies have bugs to fixe with it.

What do you mean precisely by "override the system settings" ? And how do I go about "switching to another keyboard layout and back again" ?

Isn't it strange that a computer program changes menus out of the blue, that options disappear of menus all of a sudden ? Can that be caused because it's a recent Mac exploitation system ?

Whatever it is, I'm very thankful for your time, and would love more explanation on how to fix this problem.

MEM42H2G2

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Sounds like that’s exactly what the OP says they’re doing.

Thank you very much for your reply Joe (if I may call you Joe). :)

I replied to Uli, but if you think you might have further informations after he replies again, I would greatly appreciate. I really don't understand why the rename option disappeared from the right click menu (when I click on a clip in the Edit timeline), since it was there two days ago, and working with fn + F2. It should be working in Edit just as it does in Fusion.
No rename in Edit when I right click anymore:
[img]/Users/marie-evemartel/Desktop/LOGICIELS%20&%20TRUCS/Davinci%20Resolve%20Pro/Edit%20right%20click%20on%20clip%20menu.png[/img]
And it appears in Fusion:
[img]/Users/marie-evemartel/Desktop/LOGICIELS%20&%20TRUCS/Davinci%20Resolve%20Pro/Fusion%20right%20click%20on%20clip%20menu.png[/img]

My learning curve is steep, and having bugs pop up isn't making it easier. Thankfully it's not a major problem, but it still will eventually cause a lot problems when I'll begin using many layers, over 30 clips, etc. It'll be confusing ordering everything if I can't rename it.

Thank you again for your time and help !

Uli Plank

Re: fn + F2 do not work

PostWed May 01, 2024 3:37 pm

Sonoma seems to have more bugs than an alleycat.
Unfortunately, going back is difficult. Which model do you have?

Andy Mees

PostWed May 01, 2024 4:29 pm

MEM42H2G2 wrote:when I switch to Edit mode, select a clip and push fn + F2 the rename window does not appear
Perhaps you are misremembering? There is no 'rename' dialog window in the Edit page ... you can rename a selected media pool item directly in place in the Media Pool panel by a) having the Media Pool panel in focus, and b) then pressing the shortcut for Media Pool > Rename. There is no separate window.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 01, 2024 5:42 pm

MEM42H2G2 wrote:I got the window to rename the clip
That confuses me. The only 'window' I know of for renaming a clip is Clip Attributes.

Is there another?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

MEM42H2G2

PostThu May 02, 2024 5:23 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Sonoma seems to have more bugs than an alleycat.

I have a Mac Studio.

MEM42H2G2

PostThu May 02, 2024 5:32 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
MEM42H2G2 wrote:when I switch to Edit mode, select a clip and push fn + F2 the rename window does not appear
Perhaps you are misremembering? There is no 'rename' dialog window in the Edit page ... you can rename a selected media pool item directly in place in the Media Pool panel by a) having the Media Pool panel in focus, and b) then pressing the shortcut for Media Pool > Rename. There is no separate window.

Well, at this point I'm absorbing so much information that it might be the case, and I have thought about that possibility, but I still feel like I really did see that option in Edit.

So you have the same Davinci version as me, pro 18.6.6, and when in Edit, when you right click on a clip in the timeline there is no "rename" option in the menu that comes out ?

If so, then it must be me that is confusing fusion mode with edit mode.

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:03 pm

A few years ago I bought a laptop from b&h, a high end 'gaming' laptop at the time, and it is an OMEN thing, which has an FN key on it. The editing computer I use ( the pig ) does not have that key. I use win10 on both. At first the omen thing had macro keys ( P1-P6) that I could program and use. Sometime along the years microsoft updated my software and the macro keys no longer function. The FN key when resolve 15 is open along with "print screen" ( upper right of keyboard of omen), copies the screen to win10 secret ( copy) memory. Now, if I open PS and choose new file and PASTE ( control v ) to the file the psd image will have what I captured from resolve. Sometimes I have to flatten it and save it as a jpg,etc. but basically the ONLY thing the FN key does for me is allow me to use it with "prt sc" to copy it in memory for xfer to 'paste' option ( ctrl-p).

I have no idea how an OS , a software program, and a specific keyboard configuration could possibly work in tandem and work as expected from one day to the next ( with frequent upgrades to OS, program, etc.)

I'll try to include an image I got from using FN key from resolve 15 screen of laptop to photoshop and saved as JPG at computer screen resolution ( 1080). I might have reduced the size for using in emails.

This the ONLY thing my FN key is good for.
Last edited by robodog1 on Thu May 02, 2024 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:05 pm

couldn't include image... got mssg. from forum that file is larger the 2mb.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:02 pm

MEM42H2G2 wrote:when you right click on a clip in the timeline there is no "rename" option in the menu that comes out?
I don't think there ever has been in Resolve.

I think Premiere Pro had that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 02, 2024 11:39 pm

MEM42H2G2 wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:Sonoma seems to have more bugs than an alleycat.

I have a Mac Studio.

Sorry, you don’t mention the generation. M1 can run under Monterey, M2 under Ventura and M3 under Sonoma. There are some exceptions, but that’s the general rule.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:34 am

MEM42H2G2 wrote:Well, at this point I'm absorbing so much information that it might be the case, and I have thought about that possibility, but I still feel like I really did see that option in Edit.

Have you gone through the free editing training for Resolve? I suspect a lot of your questions will be answered there.

"The Editor's Guide to DaVinci Resolve 18"
available on Blackmagic's Training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

You'll find these are enormously helpful, even if you have experience with other editing & color platforms. There's tons of shortcuts covered, which will help cut precious minutes off every session. The 4204-page manual is good as well, but the textbooks present it in a much more concise way. (Coming soon is a Resolve 19 training update.)

I agree that there are a lot of kludges with the function keys on some Mac systems. This may not be an answer you like, but I go into system prefs and turn off all the OS-related functions on the Function keys so I can optimize the system just for Resolve. I'm fine doing it that way, but I get that not everybody else would be willing to make that compromise.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

MEM42H2G2

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:43 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
MEM42H2G2 wrote:when you right click on a clip in the timeline there is no "rename" option in the menu that comes out?
I don't think there ever has been in Resolve.

I think Premiere Pro had that.

There IS for sure a rename function in DaVinci Resolve IN FUSION, maybe not in EDIT, but in fusion mode yes for sure, I can use the keyboard Fn + F2 shortcut right now and it works.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:44 pm

MEM42H2G2 wrote:maybe not in EDIT
That's what I meant. Sorry about the confusion.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

MEM42H2G2

PostFri May 03, 2024 6:00 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
MEM42H2G2 wrote:Well, at this point I'm absorbing so much information that it might be the case, and I have thought about that possibility, but I still feel like I really did see that option in Edit.

Have you gone through the free editing training for Resolve? I suspect a lot of your questions will be answered there.

"The Editor's Guide to DaVinci Resolve 18"
available on Blackmagic's Training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

You'll find these are enormously helpful, even if you have experience with other editing & color platforms. There's tons of shortcuts covered, which will help cut precious minutes off every session. The 4204-page manual is good as well, but the textbooks present it in a much more concise way. (Coming soon is a Resolve 19 training update.)

I agree that there are a lot of kludges with the function keys on some Mac systems. This may not be an answer you like, but I go into system prefs and turn off all the OS-related functions on the Function keys so I can optimize the system just for Resolve. I'm fine doing it that way, but I get that not everybody else would be willing to make that compromise.

Hi,

Yes I have gone through the free training, and I did download the Editor's Guide. I've done the two first lessons for edit, color, and fusion. That's a lot of information to absorb like I said, and some details can escape you when you're starting, since you haven't repeated them regularly. To find a specific info, I'd have to watch them all over again. I could give the guide a shot that being said.

I won't be using Davinci R. full time for the rest of my carrer, it's for a specific projects that'll last a couple of years or so, therefore changing my Mac's settings, like you said, won't be a good option for me, but I appreciate all your suggestions and the time you took to answer.

Thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve