Has the Cut-Page changed the way you work?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Samskihero

Has the Cut-Page changed the way you work?

PostThu May 02, 2024 10:35 am

Resolve is Constantly innovating with new features and I often feel like there are significantly better ways to edit compared to my old-school approach.

Every time I try to use the cut-page and sync bins I find it's just not as simple as it seems unless your work is incredibly cookie-cutter, like an edit that goes straight from A to B, no external audio, single backing track, multi-cam edits that only use one track of audio it works, But anything else it falls apart very quickly.

But has it changed everything for you?

Jim Simon

Re: Has the Cut-Page changed the way you work?

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm

I never use it, so no.

It's operation is just too...off.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:26 pm

The Cut Page is vital with the Speed Editor.

ghost355

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:41 pm

I first thought the Cut Page is like FCP magnetic line, but no, have just a slight external , it is something for very simple work like making a linear sequence shot by shot.
But it is the only way when you need forced to generate waveform for all clips in bins , the very good way to review all clips one by one in a bin and make selections with sublclips or markers. Use Source Tape mode for these.
The many things in the Cut page you can do only with Speed Editor Keyboard as I got it.
The idea itself is good, but realization, as many base editing things in DVR is poor, unfortunately

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:41 am

I suspect I'm a fuddy-duddy and too used to the Edit page to change. But I have used 5 or 6 different editing systems over the past 40 years (including film), and the existing Resolve Edit page makes sense to me. Not so much with the Cut page.

I get that there are people who love the Cut page and need to go through tons of material and get it turned around quickly, like daily YouTube shows and stuff like that. And I know the Cut page works very well with the Speed Editor. I've also been told many times that there's a market for stuff like Premiere Rush and all that. The Cut page may not be right for me, but I'm totally fine with it being there for people who need it and use it.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve