Unwanted aspect ratio change from Edit to Fusion, etc.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mandulis100%

Unwanted aspect ratio change from Edit to Fusion, etc.

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:47 pm

I am preparing a brief title sequence from four PNGs connected by simple cross dissolves. This is for a project based on digital transfers of 30-year-old NTSC SD 720x486 from b&w 16mm film, approximating 4:3, so the PNG title cards were created 1500 x 1125 = 4:3.

All of the project settings and clip attributes were set for NTSC 720x486 and 4:3. Everything looked perfect on the Edit page and edited smoothly with perfect results. However, when going to the Fusion page to add some film grain and gate weave effects, the image in the viewer was no longer 4:3, but was somewhat narrowed horizontally, closely approximating something like 13:11. The same was true on the Deliver page, and the final exported result had the same problem.

The whole project is monochrome so I wasn't using the Color page, but checked it anyway out of curiosity and found that the viewer image there also had the same problem. Needless to say, until I can find a solution to the problem, my project is at a dead standstill.

Strangely, I made a 16:9 version of this title sequence for use with 16:9 materials, using alternative PNGs created 2000x1125 = 16:9, and everything worked perfectly.

I spent hours looking through the online manual and printed guidebooks to no avail. I would be deeply appreciative of any help from more experienced users, and thank you in advance.
Last edited by Mandulis100% on Tue May 14, 2024 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KrunoSmithy

Re: HELP! Unwanted aspect ratio change from Edit to Fusion,

PostMon May 13, 2024 8:03 pm

The quick and easy way to keep what you see in edit page to be the same in fusion, is to right mouse click on the clip or multiple clips in edit page and choose fusion composition to be make out of them. Than when you go to fusion, the source will be the same. Otherwise fusion takes the color, dimensions, aspect ratio etc all from the media pool, independent of the edit page. There are various reason for this, but if you want a simple film grain or something, easiest and quickest way for someone who is not seasoned fusion users is what I suggested. That should give you want you expected.

Mandulis100%

PostMon May 13, 2024 9:28 pm

Thanks so much--I'll give it a try.

Mandulis100%

PostTue May 14, 2024 2:38 am

No joy. I right-clicked each clip on the timeline and chose "Reset Fusion Composition" for each. This had no effect. The image in the Fusion, Color, and Deliver pages still does not appear as 4:3, but narrowed horizontally to something approximating 13:11. Everything looks fine on the edit page. Anyway, something is wrong that affects the aspect ratio this way in all three pages, not just Fusion.

It is also unclear to me why, if Fusion (as well as Color and Deliver?) is taking clip information directly from the Media Pool, that the aspect ratio should be any different than when the Edit timeline is taking clip information from the Media Pool.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Unwanted aspect ratio change from Edit to Fusion, etc.

PostTue May 14, 2024 5:27 am

Try right click on clip in edit page, New Fusion Clip, not reset Fusion Composition.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve