Text Based Edit offline (without having Davinci open)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bigcloudsurfer

Text Based Edit offline (without having Davinci open)

PostWed May 22, 2024 12:09 pm

Text based editing is great - excellent for documentary.

My question is coming at it from a director viewpoint - as someone who doesn't edit.

I'm doing a year long project that involves a lot of flying, and I am not the editor - nor will I be sitting with the editor all the time. I would like to do an old fashioned paper edit as I always have done but take advantage of this amazing new feature at the same time. I will have hundreds of hours of interviews so I can't fly around with all those interviews on my laptop, but I can have all the transcriptions with me as I always do.

What I'm trying to figure out is - can I do a text based edit without the media attached. So if I do an interview, then the editor does the backup and transcribes the interview, can I then take a copy of the transcription away with me so that I can read and think, make my selection and email back to the editor a transcription that they then load in to create the timeline in a flash? Or does the editor have to read through my version of the transcription and recreate it within Resolve (which is still super easy).

Return to DaVinci Resolve