Green screen with mask

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jörg Eberhardt

Green screen with mask

PostSat May 25, 2024 5:22 pm

I have a green screen recording. Now there is the problem that someone has a green logo on his shirt. I have tried to mask it, but I can't do it. I only want to stay in the Davinci environment, not switch to Fusion.
Does anyone have a solution on how to arrange which nodes and how to do the masking so that the logo remains untouched by the keyer? (I am currently on DR 19 Studio/Mac Sonoma)

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Green screen with mask

PostSat May 25, 2024 9:17 pm

A tracked Power Window to exclude the logo, then the Keyer maybe?

Or a Magic Mask on the person, first?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sam Steti

PostSun May 26, 2024 9:26 am

Jörg Eberhardt wrote:not switch to Fusion.

Well, what a huge bad idea :D

As a compositing artist, I can't indeed understand it but anyway, as Jim wrote you should mimic what would have been easy in Fusion, therefore track the logo and turn it into a mask (even rough one since you have the surrounding selection anyway), and add it to the key with a layer mixer before output.

Doing it with a MMask is kind of overkill because you force the whole person mask when just a part is needed, but anyway you may make it, shrink it a lot (since I suppose the logo is only in the inner part of the tracked body) and add it the same way
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Jörg Eberhardt

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Thank you very much, I was missing the layer mixer.
Even if some people can't imagine it, there is very often a good reason for certain things. As you can read here in the forum, Davinci 19 crashes for some users when using fusion. Sometimes it's as simple as that. I realize that it's beta, but maybe there is a reason for other users to stay in Davinci. So it's a good tip. Thanks again.

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 28, 2024 3:40 am

Jörg Eberhardt wrote:I have a green screen recording. Now there is the problem that someone has a green logo on his shirt. I have tried to mask it, but I can't do it. I only want to stay in the Davinci environment, not switch to Fusion. Does anyone have a solution on how to arrange which nodes and how to do the masking so that the logo remains untouched by the keyer? (I am currently on DR 19 Studio/Mac Sonoma)

There's a million tutorials out there on how to create a garbage matte in a normal green screen operation. This is basically a tracking mask that covers up what you don't want to key. For somebody wearing a green logo while standing in front of a green background, that would be fairly trivial to track, unless it required some complicated roto. I'm far from being a talented VFX artist, but I've rolled up my sleeves and done this on occasion (with a lot of cursing and yelling).

Here's one of many tutorials on YouTube:

Note you can do this on the Fusion page or on the regular Resolve Key page, preferably the 3D keyer. The results can be surprisingly effectively, plus it's generally real-time on most systems.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve