Best *and* Simple Way to Normalize My Audio For Youtube?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NoviceEditor101

Best *and* Simple Way to Normalize My Audio For Youtube?

PostTue Aug 27, 2024 10:36 pm

Before I started to make this thread, I watched some tutorials about how to use Resolve to normalize audio for youtube videos.

They told me that Resolve 19 has a new feature where you can normalize audio to the Youtube setting that now appears on the Deliver page.

So with that in mind, I upgraded my Resolve to free version 19.

I have also seen tutorial videos that give very (to me) complicated instructions on how to normalize audio properly using Fairlight.

However, those Fairlight methods are way too advanced for me; I only know how to use the Edit page somewhat.

I am making this thread because I am trying to understand what is the best way how I can normalize my audio using Resolve 19, with it also being a simple method that will be easy for me to accomplish, by way of using only the Edit page.

Usually I make videos for youtube, out of clips from other videos that I've downloaded from youtube.

Sometimes when I am making videos, I want certain statements that people make to become emphasized, and so I want to make them louder than the other audio clips are by default.

So to accomplish that, what I have been doing, thus far, was to use the "Normalize Audio" function, and then I would normalize it using Sample Peak Program and set Target Level to 0.0 dBFS (I did that because I wanted the audio to be as loud as possible, without clipping, and I heard that audio might clip if it goes above 0.0 dBFS).

And sometimes I have background music in my videos, for which I usually use the "Normalize Audio" function and then set the Target Level for my background music to
-10 dBFS.

Another thing is, in my research of trying to learn about audio normalization, I heard the video makers who are talking about that say that if you upload a video with audio that is louder than youtube's standards, then youtube will reduce the audio levels themselves when they process that video.

So, with all of the things I've said above in mind, my questions are:

1. If I use the Deliver page of Resolve 19 to normalize the audio to the youtube standard, then is doing that going to remove all the the differences in loudness levels among my various audio clips?

For an example of what I mean by this question: say I create a video for which the source clips of that video are other videos that I've downloaded from youtube.

I leave most of those clips at their default audio levels. But one of the clips, I want it to be louder than all of the others, so I normalize that one clip to a Target Level of 0.0 dBFS.

Is that act of boosting the audio for that one clip going to become undone as a result of me later selecting the option normalize the audio for the youtube setting on Resolve's Deliver page?

2. What are the exact settings for how much I should boost an audio clip via normalization, if I want that audio clip to be louder than normal, for the sake of putting emphasis on those statements from the person who is speaking, for videos that I will be publishing on youtube?

3. For videos when I am using background music, but with people's voices speaking over it, what are the exact settings that I should normalize the background music audio track to? (this is for videos that are going to be published on youtube).

4. Is there ever any reason why I would not want to use the youtube audio normalization option on the Deliver page of Resolve 19, for videos that I will be publishing on youtube? (that is, aside from doing a proper & complicated audio normalization in Fairlight, which is way beyond my capabilities...so I mean this question in the context of things that I am able to accomplish via using the Edit page only).

Thank you.

Frank Glencairn

Re: Best *and* Simple Way to Normalize My Audio For Youtube?

PostWed Aug 28, 2024 5:39 am

You are overthinking it.

For your needs, just use the volume slider (on the clips) and your ears for mixing.
Make sure your levels not going red on the meters - especially on the master (a little blip in the red zone is okay though) - and call it a day.

Thou YT recommends a -14 LUFS mix, it doesn't do QC like a broadcaster.
If anything is a bit over it just got automatically hard limited, when YT does his encoding.
Nothing to worry about, it's gonna be fine.

So don't sweat it.
https://sites.google.com/view/frankglencairn/home

Charles Bennett

Re: Best *and* Simple Way to Normalize My Audio For Youtube?

PostWed Aug 28, 2024 9:02 am

There is an audio normalization section under the Deliver page Audio tab. It has a setting for YouTube.
Normalize Audio in the Deliver Page.jpg
Normalize Audio in the Deliver Page.jpg (427.25 KiB) Viewed 905 times
This is from the manual.
Normalization from the Manual.jpg
Normalization from the Manual.jpg (58.43 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Resolve Studio 19.0.3 build 5
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (561.09 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Calibrated Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve