DAVINCI 11

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

silvio bonomi

DAVINCI 11

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 am

IT IS SHOW TIME !

Thanks to Luca Salvatori for photo.

silvio bonomi
Attachments
resolve 11.jpg
resolve 11.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 8834 times

Luca Salvatori

Re: DAVINCI 11

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 11:07 am

It's a ReVolution!
Great big news! Extimated : sept-dec 2014
Cinematographer/Colorist

Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT 2.5K
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

P+S Technik: 18/3 25/2.8 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4

www.luca-salvatori.format.com

Jorge Molinari

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 am

An editor eh? Interesting. The lines keep blurring in post. Editing apps continue to add finishing features while finishing apps continue to add editing features. But only one company in the editing/finishing game gives out the software for free; and incredibly it isn't Apple (by far the largest company of the bunch).

Blackmagic Design is truly disruptive. It's impossible not to like these guys.

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Not impossible...if u were an early adopter of the bmcc that is still a lame device over a year later, and now worth even less than what u paid for it due to bmd reducing the price after the first units shipped.

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:27 pm

They probably mean Davinci Resolve 11 Lite being free. So if Resolve really moves into the NLE direction, the Lite version would probably have all these editing features as well.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Tim Callaghan

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Give it a rest Shane. I'm a critic to some extent, but every thread! Really?!

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Well, let's wait what they are going to reveal in the press conference.

I would love to use Resolve Lite for grading the pocket cam footage, but there's a number of essential features missing in the free version, e.g. comprehensive noise reduction (BMD cameras don't do NR in camera, which is ok, but you have to have a way to do it in post) and broader spectrum of input/output formats to make Resolve more compatible to NLEs. If Resolve really evolves into a (semi-free) editing tool, the last point would be less urgent, yet i'd still love the ability to combine whatever tools i already own and am used to.

Rude

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Maybe the strategy behind it is not to leave the software to roundtrips to Avid or FCP and stay in Resolve from beginning to end. I use Avid MC as my editing software but I can only do 1920x1080. I want to know what Resolve 11 is offering as editing tool.
Last edited by Rude on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Tejeda

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Tim Callaghan wrote:Give it a rest Shane. I'm a critic to some extent, but every thread! Really?!

Yea , I'm sure most people are getting tired of that picket line tactic..

try something new ... like say, calling up directly ... instead of trying to convert every single last thread on here into some debate on an un-related matter
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Oscar Romero

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Rude wrote:Maybe the strategy behind it is not to leave the software to roundtrips to Avid or FCP and stay in Resolve from beginning to end. I use Avid MC as my editing software but I can only do 1920x1080. I want to know what Resolve 11 is offering as editing tool.

+1 I'm in the same situation but after SOOOO many years using Avid from DV to MC today I can't imaging how's to edit in a different app. Let see what Davinci Resolve 11 will bring in the edit side of the app. I'm curious.

Christian Horne

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

I thought Resolve was already an online editor? I always online my edits in Resolve and so do many Post houses here in the UK?

bhook

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:43 pm

I really don't want to go with Adobe CC but I've been a Premiere user since version one. I'm okay with the CS6 I'm on now but will for sure keep an open mind about Davinci II.

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:I currently use Sony Vegas 12. But it has been buggy of late, and Sony have announced Vegas 13 at NAB. If Resolve 11 does the job for me, I will happily jump ship. Much better to stay inside Resolve and do the whole job there.

I just wish Vegas would deal with raw/DNG... For now, editing is done in Premiere which is pretty smooth experience, but it does not have the audio editing tools Vegas has. I can do everything I need for an excelent edit all inside vegas... if it only supported DNG... lets see the version 13...

For the best as Resolve can get, I think audio support will be a weak point, like comparing premiere with Vegas, but as much as we can do inside the same software, without having to change application, the better.
Ulysses Paiva

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 am

I'll be interested to see what the system requirements will be for running D.R. v.11 on a Mac ... hopefully it won't require a new Mac Pro ... hoping it'll be able to run on new Apple mid-range computers that they'll probably release later this year.

-

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 am

im curious how many people currently use Resolve for editing.
If it were robust enough I would consider it.

I was enjoying speedgrade/premiere/ae integration, but Resolve 10 lured me away from SG.

My hunch tells me Resolve ends up taking over and/or merging with FCPX

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:32 am

pacman829 wrote:
Tim Callaghan wrote:Give it a rest Shane. I'm a critic to some extent, but every thread! Really?!

Yea , I'm sure most people are getting tired of that picket line tactic..

try something new ... like say, calling up directly ... instead of trying to convert every single last thread on here into some debate on an un-related matter

research my threads before you start your fanboy love on me....it is not every thread. Maybe about 60-70% of them though. I did call up on one issue. Still have an open, unresolved ticket from last august....so obviously that is no more helpful than trying to communicate with them via this thread.

If you guys don't want people like me, who are pushing for this company to get off it's ass and finish camera #1 to at least meet their own marketing specs, then don't be putting erroneous statements out there like "BMD is the greatest" and "who could not like BMD?" . Comments like that are as full of BS as BMD's claims of "professional quality audio" and "firmware is coming, we promise".

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:im curious how many people currently use Resolve for editing.
If it were robust enough I would consider it.

I was enjoying speedgrade/premiere/ae integration, but Resolve 10 lured me away from SG.

My hunch tells me Resolve ends up taking over and/or merging with FCPX

At this point, Resolve only serves to do minor changes in terms of editing, which already is pretty welcome and already saved me some time once or twice. Maybe they changed/updated it to the point where we can really call it an editor or editing software too. Anyway, always good news. I'm curious to see details about it.
Ulysses Paiva

Randy Walters

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 pm

The new Color Match Palette looks extraordinary - a real godsend. Thanks, BMD!

Rude

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:I currently use Sony Vegas 12. But it has been buggy of late, and Sony have announced Vegas 13 at NAB. If Resolve 11 does the job for me, I will happily jump ship. Much better to stay inside Resolve and do the whole job there.

sorry to drop a bucket of cold water to wake u up but vegas doesn't exist.... in the real editing world is Smoke, Avid or FCP....and now Resolve...

Shawn Miller

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Rude wrote:

sorry to drop a bucket of cold water to wake u up but vegas doesn't exist.... in the real editing world is Smoke, Avid or FCP....and now Resolve...

So.... does that mean that Lightworks doesn't exist either? What about Edius? Admittedly, Vegas doesn't have a huge following in broadcast or commercial film production... but nonexistent? That's just silly.

Back on topic. Seems like Resolve 11 will be a better finishing tool than dedicated editor, but it's nice to have something this powerful in the pipeline. I think it will end up being more of a niche tool for colorists who can also edit... sort of the way that Smoke is a good editor that's also decent at VFX and compositing.

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Rude

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Shawn Miller wrote:
Rude wrote:

So.... does that mean that Lightworks doesn't exist either? What about Edius? Admittedly, Vegas doesn't have a huge following in broadcast or commercial film production... but nonexistent? That's just silly.

Back on topic. Seems like Resolve 11 will be a better finishing tool than dedicated editor, but it's nice to have something this powerful in the pipeline. I think it will end up being more of a niche tool for colorists who can also edit... sort of the way that Smoke is a good editor that's also decent at VFX and compositing.

Shawn

About Lightworks...doesn't exist either...if you work in a real post house...what is lightworks? How many academy winning movies or any movies were done with it? still is in beta...

not trying to create a debate about what's better...is just my opinion. That's all.

I'm agree with you about Resolve and Smoke. I do lots of compositing and editing with Smoke but I'll dig into Resolve editing capabilities when comes out and test it... but Avid still is my main editing tool.

Shawn Miller

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Rude wrote:About Lightworks...doesn't exist either...if you work in a real post house...what is lightworks? How many academy winning movies or any movies were done with it? still is in beta...

Lightworks had been around for about 20 years. The Mac version is in Beta, Linux and Windows versions have been shipping for years. And yes, people have used it to cut academy award winning films.

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=214

Rude wrote:I'm agree with you about Resolve and Smoke. I do lots of compositing and editing with Smoke but I'll dig into Resolve editing capabilities when comes out and test it... but Avid still is my main editing tool

Fair enough... I'm just saying that other tools exist. People are doing great work on tools that you've never heard of, and on platforms that you may have no interesting in using... doesn't mean their work is any less professional. ;-)

You're a compositor, have you checked out SGO Mamba FX?

http://www.sgo.es/mambafx/

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 pm

I am using Sony Vegas for complex audio editing. Have done a surround project for a dome projection for planetariums - 90 layers of SFX and no problem. Audio is a breeze in Vegas.

But for editing footage I use Premiere Pro since I know it in and out and since CS6 it has become ultra-stable.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Rude

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Shawn Miller wrote:
Rude wrote:About Lightworks...doesn't exist either...if you work in a real post house...what is lightworks? How many academy winning movies or any movies were done with it? still is in beta...

Lightworks had been around for about 20 years. The Mac version is in Beta, Linux and Windows versions have been shipping for years. And yes, people have used it to cut academy award winning films.

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=214

Rude wrote:I'm agree with you about Resolve and Smoke. I do lots of compositing and editing with Smoke but I'll dig into Resolve editing capabilities when comes out and test it... but Avid still is my main editing tool

Fair enough... I'm just saying that other tools exist. People are doing great work on tools that you've never heard of, and on platforms that you may have no interesting in using... doesn't mean their work is any less professional. ;-)

You're a compositor, have you checked out SGO Mamba FX?

http://www.sgo.es/mambafx/

Shawn

hahaha...I think I troll you a little bit but I didn't mean too.. I know lightworks but I never used it so I do not look at it.... I'm a fan of my softwares...

I do know mamba fx but I never used it. I do like Nuke and I still use once in while the discontinued Autodesk Combustion...for nostalgic reasons....

no fights, everyone enjoy their on software..... but vegas...common.... (Jocking) ;)

and finally, you're right...isn't about the tool, is about creativity.
Last edited by Rude on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to DaVinci Resolve