Resovle 10.1.5 Lite hard freeze *UPDATE*

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tjnelsonjr

Resovle 10.1.5 Lite hard freeze *UPDATE*

PostWed May 21, 2014 12:58 am

I'd love some insight on this issue I'm having.

I recently (today) upgraded my system to a Late 2013 iMac (3.5Ghz i7, 8Gb Ram, 4Gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, 3Tb Fusion) and just ran some tests in Resolve and ran into the following issue:

Successful XML import from a FCP7 project.
Successful reconnect. (ProResHQ everything)

Right off the bat I notice everything is MUCH quicker than my (now unsupported) RevA rMBP! Awesome!

Then this...
I start coloring -and boom- hard freeze. Everything, I everything freezes. Cursor too. After trying to narrow it all down, I'm seeing that it's not the 23" Cinema Display via a DVI adapter, it's not a fresh restart, it's not the CUDA/OpenGL default.

Then I try once more and see that right before the following freeze, I hear my LaCie 6Tb 2Big Thunderbolt drive spin down, access the disc, or something - a sound. I'm in the midst of copying everything to another drive to test again. "Put Hard Disks to Sleep" is off. App Nap is off. Thoughts? Anyone experience this?

I'd love to hear from users and BlackMagic Support!

Thanks.

*UPDATE*
After running the project off of the iMac's internal drive, I have yet to crash. -knock on wood.

rick.lang

Re: Resovle 10.1.5 Lite hard freeze *UPDATE*

PostThu May 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Is your LaCie external unit using 'green' drives, i.e. Drives that power down themselves to save you energy? That concept can lead to problems. I wonder if they have a user-defined option so you could set the 'green' feature to kick in after, say, an hour of inactivity.

Always safer to run 7200 rpm drives that stay spinning until you manually tell them to power off. Running from the internal storage, you have better control over the storage behaviour.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

sean mclennan

Re: Resovle 10.1.5 Lite hard freeze *UPDATE*

PostTue May 27, 2014 10:23 pm

tjnelsonjr wrote:*UPDATE*
After running the project off of the iMac's internal drive, I have yet to crash. -knock on wood.

Have you reset your permissions?

Open disk utility, select your OS drive, click on repair permissions, then your external drive, repair permissions, then reboot.

Return to DaVinci Resolve