is it really free?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

erick

is it really free?

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Hello and thank you.
Before I immerse myself in learning Resolve NLE, I want to make sure it is actually free and that there is no trial version, that it will not expire eventually. Having said that, if it is indeed free, I am amazed and thankful, for it is time to move on from crashing Premiere Pro, after moving from finicky FCPX and clunky FCP7, I will give Resolve a try and if so 'resolve' my NLE issues, I'd be very happy indeed.
Thank you for your time and attention,
Erick

popcornflix

Re: is it really free?

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 11:54 pm

It's free, and fully functional. The paid version only has a few extra features, like noise reduction.

Check the web site -- there's a comparison chart showing what you get for your $999.

The reason it's free is that BMD wants all the young and upcoming filmmakers to use Resolve, so when they become pros, they will spend the money and build/use Resolve suites.

Perrone Ford

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 12:13 am

While Resolve is an amazing color grading app, I don't know that it's quite there is a full on NLE. Certainly not in the same league as Premiere.

Brian Russo

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 8:01 pm

while Davinci Resolve lite is indeed free, it is a resource hog and needs a moderately advanced computer.

it won't replace a NLE completely yet, but maybe Resolve 11 will tip the scales even further.
Brian Russo. NY

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Davinci Resolve lite 11.0 is the Full NLE version, and it is not available yet. You can start with the current 10 version to learn its current features, then upgrade to 11 NLE version when it becomes available. So I would hang on to your current NLE until then. Good luck.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Lance Lewis

PostSun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 am

Erik, just my two cents about nle in general. I had used premiere for 15 years and was sick of the little problems that never seemed to get fixed. I switched to edius 7 in December and couldn't be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Return to DaVinci Resolve