Resolve 9.0.3 gives up processing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Todd - scratchpostvfx

Resolve 9.0.3 gives up processing

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Hey guys

Resolve is failing to render/process clips that I have in my timeline (of which there are many as this is a feature length show) . The clips are ProRes 422, and they are correctly linked as indicated when revealing in Finder .

After moving around in the timeline and scrubbing some clips it may pick up the ones that are failing to process now, but then it fails to process others . If I change the source folder to one that the media is not located and then change it back to what it was, the media then shows .

Is there some sort of cache ?

I am running Resolve 9.0.3 on a Mac Pro 6,1 (Mid 2010) Mountain Lion with nvidia GTX660 and GTX550Ti with latest drivers, 32GB ram and a 4TB g-tech raid .

Please help, I am going to fail to meet a deadline if I can't get this ... Resolved (!)
scratch/post
Independent Broadcast Designer, Visual Effects Artist and Colourist
www.scratchpost.is

Re: Resolve 9.0.3 gives up processing

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 am

The original footage is a mixture of Prores, HDV, DVPal and much of it is interlaced .

I've had to go through and deinterlace all of this footage and wrote it as ProRes 422 .

After I have replaced much of the footage using the "change source folder" option Resolve fails to render many of the clips, making it impossible to grade .

I've switched the priority of my cards (GTX550Ti and GTX660, the 550 seems to last longer before it fails)

If I switch back to the original media there is no problem, it seems only with vast numbers of ProRes files .

I can switch back and continue grading but at this point it is impossible to output a master of this .

Is there anything I can do to fix this ?
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am

Hi, Resolve does not render files unless directed in the Deliver page. I think you are refering to displaying. You need to be able to display all the files in the Media page. If you cant see them there they wont show elsewhere. Also, what cuda version and nvidia driver are you using with those, non certified GPU's? Latest does not mean much.
Do you have the interlaced clip option turned on?

Whats your final render format going to be?
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 am

Hi Peter, thankyou for the reply .

when processing I am referring to displaying any clips within the Media, Conform, Colour pages . In any one of these panels when using the de-interlaced ProRes 442 media, it reads a few of the clips and then stops processing the others, showing only black . Clips that appear in one page are not necessarily the same clips that appear in other pages . Using the "Update All Thumbnails" option attempts to reload, some clips appear but others that were visible before turn black .

OSX version 10.8.2
CUDA version 5.0.37
GPU version 1.3.4.0 (304.00.05f02)

"Enable video field processing" if this is what you are talking about is off .

The final output will be most likely ProRes 4444 . Usually it would be a .dpx sequence but this is a 1h40m feature, I don't have the storage for that .

EDIT, with some clips that are DV-PAL, they appear lower quality than they should be - as I mentioned in another thread . Using ProRes media solves this problem .
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 am

Is there any indication what the problem might be here, whether it is due to my graphics card configuration, or Resolve doesn't support vast numbers of ProRes media ?
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 am

I would test with half the number of clips in the media pool or half the timeline, which ever is smaller. This will provide some detail to help determine where your speed bump is.
Peter

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 am

The media pool has 827 clips of varying formats including SD and HD, DVCam, Mpeg2

as a test I replaced 160 of these clips with the de-interlaced ProRes 422 files I made - After this it is now having problems .
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 am

I'm starting to believe this is a matter of insufficient GPU processing power. Any chance you could test with one of the config guide recommended GPUs?
Peter

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 am

I have the ATI Radeon 5770 that my Mac Pro shipped with and I can give that a go, but it is not possible for me to get any other without incurring high cost, even getting a GTX570 to Iceland was hellishly expensive .

I have to ask, and I know these are unsupported cards but between the GTX550Ti and GTX660 (both installed) with 2GB video memory total, is it really that likely that there is not enough processing power considering, unless I'm mistaken both of these cards out perform the 5770 ?
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Did u say u have a GTX570? If so, just use that. The ATI is only suitable for GUI.
Peter

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 pm

the ATI Radeon 5770, nvidia GTX550Ti and GTX660 are the only cards I have available to me at this time, I am not in a position to get others - what options do I have now ?

You're saying that the GTX550Ti and GTX660 together are not powerful enough ?
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 pm

We have not qualified those cards so I'm not familiar with their capabilities with Resolve. Just looking for things which may explain your symptoms. Can u grab your Mac system report and Resolve capture logs after you have loaded the project and send to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign (dot) com.
Peter

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Could you tell me how I would do this please ?
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 am

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz file to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com and we can take a look to try and determine what's going on.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 am

Thankyou Dwaine, I'll get this over to you guys .
scratch/post
www.scratchpost.is

Return to DaVinci Resolve