All my media has gone black

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
Mallaby

All my media has gone black

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 am

It's still there if i export footage but i can't see thumbnails or anything in playback, just a black screen. I've not moved the files around on my hard drive. The footage appears briefly when i load the project then disappear almost immediately.

i'm on osx 10.7.5, a 2.4ghz i7 with 4gb Ram and plenty of hard drive running 9.0.1lite.010

any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 09.19.38.png
Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 09.19.38.png (314.29 KiB) Viewed 2877 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: All my media has gone black

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Usually, what you are describing happens because the media really isn't where Resolve thinks it is. Because the media has been moved from where it was when the project was created. The usual response when this suggestion is made is that the clips definitely have not been moved. But when checked, most often they have been moved.

On the Media page, in the Media Pool, right click a clip, and select the "Reveal in Finder" menu and verify that it finds the clip.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter Barrett

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 am

Same issue here, on two systems, rendering identical material from, in one case, a network volume, in the other case, a local folder.

Material is S-Log from a Sony F3, recorded via SDI to a Hyderdeck Shuttle, QT-wrapped DNxHD, rendering audio and video to DNxHD 120 MXF using the default 1D LUT. Our machines:

Resolve Lite 9.0.4 on a 17" MBP, 10.8.2.
Resolve 9.0.4 on a Mac Pro 3,1 with 16GB and 3 x 680GT in a Cubix, 10.8.2.

In each case the Deliver page seems to be fine, the render begins, then after some random time it stops progressing, indicated FPS drops to 0.0 and Resolve continues to render black clips, as the remaining time counts up.

Sometimes a force quit is needed to Stop Render, and usually switching to the Media Pool reveals a bin of clips that display black in the viewer. Removing clips and re-adding them doesn't help, and a quit is needed to refresh, after which the media pool is empty on relaunch. Resolve simply ceases to see its sources, which have gone nowhere.

This is the only project on which we've had this issue to date. RED and Alexa material have been fine, F-3 via a Hyperdeck Shuttle has not. As a precaution, I've made sure Energy Saver and Screensaver settings don't kick in, no drives go to sleep etc... this issue seems entirely self-generated by Resolve. Unless...

A very frustrating way to feed an editor four shoot days over the holiday season! Thoughts welcome.
Peter Barrett

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 pm

You don't see any error or warning messages when this happens?

Next time it happens, run the Resolve CaptureLogs app, while Resolve is still running, if you can, or after you force quit it. But be sure to run CaptureLogs before you restart Resolve.

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz file to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com and we can take a look to try and determine what's going on. Please reference this thread in the email so we know what it relates to.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter Barrett

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Dwaine, I'll run a test and forward the results.

Happy New Year from here!
Peter Barrett

Return to DaVinci Resolve