How to generate missing frames?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ryan Hoagland

How to generate missing frames?

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 10:40 pm

For a while, the BMPC 4K firmware had a bug that caused about 3 frames to be corrupted when stored to the SSD at about the 1m50s mark in the scene. Now I have a bunch of footage with 3 missing frames.

Is there a way in Resolve to use Optical Flow to fill in these 3 missing frames?

There is a way to do this in FCPX ( ) but if I manipulate the 4K RAW footage in FCPX to generate my missing frames, the color doesn't match the 4K RAW footage in Resolve.

Lee Gauthier

Re: How to generate missing frames?

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 am

The only way I can think to do this is to transcode from RAW to proRes in Davinci with a basic grade you like, then import to FCPX and create the missing frames, and reimport to Resolve.

In order to use the RAW files, and NLE has to "develop" the footage with some kind of LUT. If you develop in Resolve, you get more control.

Hope that helps.

Ryan Hoagland

Re: How to generate missing frames?

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 9:59 pm

I've found a solution that works pretty well. Optical Flow in Resolve doesn't behave as I'd expect, but it's almost satisfactory.

My corrupt frames happen in 4K raw footage from BMPC 4k. So each frame is a separate .dng file.

Let's say that frames 03001, 03002, 03003, 03004 are corrupt.

1. Create a new directory named the same as your footage name, but change ...C0000 to ...C0001.
2. Copy frames 03000 and 03005 (the surrounding "good" frames) to the new directory and rename them from ...C0000... to ...C0001...
3. Rename frame 03005 to 03001.

Now Resolve will recognize this new directory as a new 4K raw clip that consists of 2 frames.

1. In Resolve -> Media, import the new 2-frame clip.
2. In Resolve -> Edit, insert the new 2-frame clip in a new video track over the top of your footage starting at the last uncorrupted frame before the corruption (frame 03000).
3. Click on the new 2-frame clip and in the inspector, tell it to use Optical Flow for Retime Process.
4. Right-click on the new 2-frame clip and select Change Clip Speed.
5. Set the Time to 30.0% and make sure that Ripple Sequence is turned off.
6. In the timeline, drag the right edge of the 2-frame clip to the right to make the clip 5 frames long (to cover 1 good frame and 4 bad frames)
7. Add the original video track and the new 2-frame clip video track to a Group and do all your color editing in the Group Pre-Clip mode so that edits apply to both tracks.

Optical flow seems to only be working on even pairs of frames as far as I can tell. The generated frame 03004 seems to be the same as (good) frame 03005. I'll play with that more to see if I can make it work better.

Return to DaVinci Resolve