What 4k Client monitor do you use?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Aaron_Hayden

What 4k Client monitor do you use?

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Well it finally happened. Our production company has been contracted by Discovery to deliver a 4k show.

Now I have a valid reason for a 4k Client monitor in the Color Bay! Anyone have good experiences with a consumer level 4k display? Sony, Samsung, Panasonic?

I color grade on a Flanders CM250, but I'd like a 4k reference to check for dead pixels and to impress clients with a big 4k image.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Aaron
SuperWorkstation 5014A-TT
Threadripper Pro 5975wx / 128GB DDR4-3200 / RTX 4090 MSI TRIO / DeckLink 8K
Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Nvidia Studio driver 552.22
Windows 10 Pro 22H2
2 x 4TB NVMe Raid-0
44 x 14tb Drive Raid-10 NAS

Paul Provost

Re: What 4k Client monitor do you use?

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 2:24 am

I'm running the Samsung 55" 8550 from a decklink extreme 4k HDMI, Looking good. Calibrates well and matches my Sony oled PVM with Judd offset.
Viewing angle on both of these is pretty slim...
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 4:57 am

Paul Provost wrote:I'm running the Samsung 55" 8550 from a decklink extreme 4k HDMI, Looking good. Calibrates well and matches my Sony oled PVM with Judd offset.

Paul, do you run the Sony AND the 4K at the same time?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

JPOwens

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Paul Provost wrote:I'm running the Samsung 55" 8550 from a decklink extreme 4k HDMI

I'm doing more or less the same thing with an LG 55UB8500 (which is UHD & 3D) and very surprised that it supports UHD @ 23.98 because I thought I was going to have a problem with the frame rate. Very difficult to calibrate or visually match to a Flanders, though. The other issue was going through and shutting off all the consumer-shop floor enhancements that the manufacturers think Fred and Marge prefer seeing. Yech.

I will add that I would also like to have an SDI downconvert to 1080 from the Decklink4K, but it just isn't in the options. Seems like there are only a couple of handoff-hardware solutions for that -- AJA makes one, and then there's the Teranex Express. My issue -- why I want to do that - is to have the UHD up on the HDMI feed while looking at it in HD on the Flanders and Videotek TVM-900 waveform.

jPo

Paul Provost

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 7:07 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Paul Provost wrote:I'm running the Samsung 55" 8550 from a decklink extreme 4k HDMI, Looking good. Calibrates well and matches my Sony oled PVM with Judd offset.

Paul, do you run the Sony AND the 4K at the same time?

Yes. Uhd HDMI from decklink to Samsung uhd 23.98 (I think decklink automatically outputs 24 as 23.98 not supported HDMI?)
And at same time:
Decklink SDI uhd to BMD 4k mini converter to hd hdmi 10bit to sony oled pvm. Bmd mini converter automatically down converts 4k to HD when it sees an HD display connected.

This HD feed also goes to my scopebox setup. The samsung calibrates and matches great.
I also have this going into a 4K receiver for 5.1 audio from Resolve.

NOTE: I only have 4k going to the Samsung if I'm working in a UHD sequence. If I'm in an HD sequence, HD is going everywhere (samsung still looks great) and the Sony is getting SDI.
Last edited by Paul Provost on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Provost

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 7:59 pm

JPOwens wrote:
Paul Provost wrote:I'm running the Samsung 55" 8550 from a decklink extreme 4k HDMI

I'm doing more or less the same thing with an LG 55UB8500 (which is UHD & 3D) and very surprised that it supports UHD @ 23.98 because I thought I was going to have a problem with the frame rate. Very difficult to calibrate or visually match to a Flanders, though. The other issue was going through and shutting off all the consumer-shop floor enhancements that the manufacturers think Fred and Marge prefer seeing. Yech.

I will add that I would also like to have an SDI downconvert to 1080 from the Decklink4K, but it just isn't in the options. Seems like there are only a couple of handoff-hardware solutions for that -- AJA makes one, and then there's the Teranex Express. My issue -- why I want to do that - is to have the UHD up on the HDMI feed while looking at it in HD on the Flanders and Videotek TVM-900 waveform.

jPo

Try watching dragnet or adam12 with motion smoothing on. It's freaky.

And yeah the downconvert on the BMD mini converter isn't great. Don't know if Aja Sdi any better.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Stepan Ko

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Interesting topic, i was going to ask the same thing. I'm currently trying to find a client monitor that can decently match a PVM a250 and finding out that i'm **** out of luck cause the plasmas are all gone and I don't really want to spend 8000 on something like a big Flanders.

Paul how do you calibrate the Samsung? Internal dials like the PVM or a lut box?

Stepan

Paul Provost

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 5:26 am

The Samsung - like all the higher end plasmas and lcd, have extensive internal calibration controls for white balance, gamma, cms, etc. no LUT needed. I use Calman studio and their c6 meter with offsets created with i1pro.
I don't miss my plasmas now that black level has gotten so much better on the lcd. And it's really nice to see actual 4k when that's what you're delivering.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve