Can I setup laptop screen for playback, 2nd monitor for UI?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Constandinou

Can I setup laptop screen for playback, 2nd monitor for UI?

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 10:05 am

Hi all,

Firstly, a big thanks to all of you for your contribution to this forum!

I would like to know if there is any possible way of setting up my laptop screen as a grading monitor, for full-screen preview playback, no matter of the quality of the output signal. It is mostly for training purpose.

I have an HP 8770w Mobile Workstation with a Dreamcolor monitor (Windows 7 OS, displayport, no thunderbolt).

I would like to know, if I get a second monitor (with a larger screen and a displayport, to be used for the UI), is there any BM Design product that I can use with DaVinci Resolve that would give me the option to use my laptop screen for preview playback? (maybe by returning the signal somehow back to the laptop while using the external monitor as the main, if not only, display device of the OS?)

Or is my idea kind of stupid to some of you?
Once again, I am not interested that much about the quality of the sent signal as for whether I can setup something like this...

Thank you all in advance!
Last edited by Andreas Constandinou on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Any possible way of setting up the monitor of an

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Andreas Constandinou wrote:Hi all,

Firstly, a big thanks to all of you for your contribution to this forum!

I would like to know if there is any possible way of setting up my laptop's monitor as a grading monitor, for full-screen preview, no matter of the quality of the output signal. It is mostly for training purpose.

I have an HP 8770w Mobile Workstation with a Dreamcolor monitor (Windows 7 OS, displayport, no thunderbolt).

I would like to know, if I get a second monitor (with a larger screen and a displayport, to be used for gui), is there any BM Design product that I can use with DaVinci Resolve that would give me the option to use my laptop's monitor for preview playback? (maybe by returning the signal somehow back to the laptop while using the external monitor as the main, if not only, display device of the OS?)

Or is my idea kind of stupid to some of you?
Once again, I am not interested that much about the quality of the signal sent as for whether I can setup something like this...

Thank you all in advance!

Do a search, I think there are one or two thread that discussed this in the last few months, lots of info there.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andreas Constandinou

Re: Can I setup laptop screen for playback, 2nd monitor for

PostSat Feb 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.
However I did already a thorough search on this but I wasnt able to find any information.
Can you please tell me if you are sure that this matter has been discussed before, somewhere?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Elliott Balsley

PostSat Feb 14, 2015 1:01 am

I think this is possible, but I'm not sure how good performance you will get. Make the external monitor primary in OS X and put your Resolve GUI there. Send Resolve video output to a Mini Monitor, then connect that SDI to a Mini Recorder, use Black Syphon to capture that signal, and display it full screen on the laptop with VDMX.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Andreas Constandinou

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks Elliott for your reply.
Unfortunately, I am a Windows OS user. :(
I guess the Black Syphon trick works only on OS X, right?

Return to DaVinci Resolve