New 2012 imac 27" for davinci resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
Luxwhite

New 2012 imac 27" for davinci resolve

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 4:16 pm

I would like to know if the new Imac (late 2012) 27" i7 32 Ram and the GeForce GTX 680MX NVIDIA GDDR5 de 2 GB is ok for davinci resolve. Maybe I need two graphic cards.

I usually work with Hd files and Raw.

I don't know if buy the imac or wait for the 2013 macpro.

Could I calibrate the imac Ips panel just for videos for the web (no broadcast) or i need to buy a reference monitor?

Thanks.

rick.lang

Re: New 2012 imac 27" for davinci resolve

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Luxwhite wrote:I would like to know if the new Imac (late 2012) 27" i7 32 Ram and the GeForce GTX 680MX NVIDIA GDDR5 de 2 GB is ok for davinci resolve. Maybe I need two graphic cards.

I usually work with Hd files and Raw.

I don't know if buy the imac or wait for the 2013 macpro.

Could I calibrate the imac Ips panel just for videos for the web (no broadcast) or i need to buy a reference monitor?

Thanks.

Yes, Peter Chamberlain of BMD has confirmed Resolve runs on this configuration. Not sure what you are thinking of doing to be able to use two graphics cards in an iMac since it only supports one internally, but the one card may suffice for your needs. The HD files should run in real time subject to the number of nodes and effects you require. Raw isn't going to run in real time in Resolve but it may be acceptable performance if you don't require real time.

Buy iMac or wait almost a year for an unknown "made in America" update to the Mac Pro? That's the $6,400 question! May be worth waiting for the 2013 27" iMac if that had a retina screen! I'm likely going to wait it out. Even if the updated Mac Pro is a great machine, if the entry-level Mac Pro is still very expensive, I may be forced into the updated 2013 iMac after all. I am sure I could not afford a high-end Mac Pro with oodles of cores.

I've tried to simulate the Rec.709 on my existing iMac but my results haven't been perfect. My understanding is the Rec.709 specification is almost identical to the sRGB colour space that is an option on the iMac Display Preferences. sRGB uses a gamma of 2.2 so you need to customize that to a new preference by changing the gamma to 2.4. Maybe you'll do a better job calibrating the iMac than I could do.

Of course a reference monitor is the best option. At this point I'm considering a Flanders Scientific 17" monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. But someone just recommended I look at the Eizo CG275W since I really wanted a 2560x1440 reference monitor and that looks superb for my needs, if I go with the 2013 Mac Pro... except it would be nice to have all those scopes on the Flanders. Mind you that's not too much of a sacrifice since Resolve and FCPX have scope capabilities.

Good luck with your decision,
Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Luxwhite

Re: New 2012 imac 27" for davinci resolve

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 am

Thank you Rick for your replay :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve