How to un-sync audio from video clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Elliott Balsley

How to un-sync audio from video clips

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Is it possible to un-sync a clip? For making dailies, I auto-sync large batches of clips in the Media page. This results in random audio pairings for any off-speed shots, so I manually delete that audio in the Edit page. But when rendering individual clips with "same as source" audio channels, it still renders audio because it thinks the "source" clip has audio.

Kimberley West

Re: How to un-sync audio from video clips

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Can you not just turn the audio off in the delivery page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elliott Balsley

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 pm

I render a whole batch of clips at once. Some have audio, some don't.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Peter Cave

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 12:16 am

Can you flag the off speed clips in the media page and then use the flags to identify those clips & put into a new timeline for separate export?
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 6:05 am

Elliott Balsley wrote:Is it possible to un-sync a clip? For making dailies, I auto-sync large batches of clips in the Media page. This results in random audio pairings for any off-speed shots, so I manually delete that audio in the Edit page. But when rendering individual clips with "same as source" audio channels, it still renders audio because it thinks the "source" clip has audio.

There is a sync icon if you bring the audio viewer (right of the main clip viewer in the media page). It's normally used to do manual sync'ing if you don't have matching timecode. So if you turn off this icon, it will unlink it.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

maartenb

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Thank you, Rohit, that worked!

It only seems to work on one video clip, even if I have multiple clips selected.

Is it possible to un-sync multiple clips at the same time?
DR Free version 16.2.5.015
Windows10 | Ryzen9 3900X | 64GB RAM | RTX 2070 Super 8GB, "Studio" driver 451.77 | 2TB NVMe, 1 partition for everything

Experienced on Kdenlive; switching and therefore new to Davinci Resolve

vegasprouser

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 1:31 am

I'm also interested, if it's possible to unsync audio from multiple clips at once? There's a bug in DaVinci 16, when a big group of files is selected and a timecode is extracted from audio tracks of video files, then for some reason not all timecodes are correctly updated. So then syncing these files with audio recorder ends up to be a 50/50 success. And in order to get the right timecode, it's necessary to first unsync the audio, then update the timecode from audio track once again (miraculously it work the second time) and then do the sync based on timecode again.

But problem is there can be hundreds of files incorrectly synced based on wrong timecode. So, unsyncing in batches would be a VERY useful feature. But it seems there is no such possibility. You can't even assign a shortcut to this button. Frustrating.

Constantin Gross

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 11:26 am

following.

any update on this?

rubefink

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 3:56 am

+1 on this.

nmd351

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 am

A workaround for this is to delete the previously synced audio files from DR, select all the video files and switch the audio channels back to Embedded Channel and then add the new files and re-sync.

When you first delete the audio files, the video will have no audio because it's referencing a file that's no longer there, hence the clip attribute change. Each of these tasks is done on multiple clips or a whole bin.

rubefink

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 3:41 am

The re-sync does work really well. Though I've run into some strange behaviour when we have lost sync. An assistant editor accidentally deleted the originally synced audio. After that all the audio on the timeline was mute but still had waveforms. There was no visual indication that these files had somehow become offline so It took a bit of time to realise what happened because of no indication in DaVinci. I suppose it's more of a feature request but it would be useful for these synced tracks to go Red when the files lose sync.

Ariel Guerchicoff

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:There is a sync icon if you bring the audio viewer (right of the main clip viewer in the media page). It's normally used to do manual sync'ing if you don't have matching timecode. So if you turn off this icon, it will unlink it.

I'm trying to unlink the synced audios and I can't find the icon wich Rohit refer to on the media page, where it is exactly?
Clearly, while autosync based in waveform in DR is wonderful when it works, there are bugs and lack of functionality. The first time, I could synchronize the audios without problems. When adding new videos and audios and resynchronizing the bin, absolutely all the clips sync brokes with the incorrect audio files. And there is no way to go back or a workaraund to fix it.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:35 am

+1 for batch unsync!

I just synced a whole feature - doing relatively small batches by waveform syncing one shoot-day at a time.
LOTS of mistaken syncs. Things that don't sound remotely alike.

As far as I can tell there's still no supported way to unsync. Am I wrong?
Yes, the hack way of deleting audio clips from Resolve likely works. But that's not really what expect users to do, do you?

This thread is from 7 years ago. I hope I'm just not finding the unsync feature.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Jun 06, 2022 12:03 am

Rohit's workaround way for unsyncing clips assumes there are two channels per clip.
In my case, Resolve has synced as many as 60 channels to some clips.
So just setting the channels back to embedded is not going to work for me.

I literally have to start over with this project as there's no way I can trust the clips now that autosync has mangled them. Even if I could delete the extra 50+ tracks. Why would I have any confidence in basing an edit on these clips?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

AlexanderDewhirst

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 2:53 pm

I have the same problem. Feature film, 2000 clips, at least as many sounds clips, tried to be smart and sync them all up at once, now I have hundreds of wrong connections which will take days to delete by hand. As I've already sorted the clips and sound into bins, starting from scratch would be devastating. How hard can it be for DR to create a function which unsyncs everything? Compared to creating syncing function, it has to be a breeze.

AlexanderDewhirst

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Thanks to a suggestion from a DR user group member on FB, I found a solution. You can desynchronise all of the problem links at once:
1. On the media page you list all your clips and make the synced audio column visible
2. click on the "synced audio" column title so that all those clips with syncs are bunched together
3. select all the clips you want to desync.
4. control-click the list (or right-click or whatever) so you can choose Clip Attributes
5. in that window go to Audio and add a bunch of tracks (I use 6 for my FX6 files) which will automatically be set to embedded audio.
6. click on the garbage bin button next to the old links listed.
7. Save.
IMPORTANT: nothing will appear to have changed: there will still be audio file names in the synced audio column. But the syncs will be gone when you put then in a time line or check the clip attributes individually. i.e. the syncs are gone but the list of synced audio is incorrect.

alissaknight

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 7:56 am

Hey all,

So this took me about an hour to figure out but I finally did it. If an audio sync goes wrong and you need to unsync audio from the the video clips (in my case, Davinci created 164 source channels) and you spent hours inputting metadata into each video and sound file and don't want to start over and do it again, these are the instructions for you.

First, there is currently (as of version 18) no way to unsync audio from video once you've done it. So what you need to do is export the metadata from your video and sound files in the media pool then re-import them in a new project.

IN YOUR OLD PROJECT
1. FILE > EXPORT METADATA FROM > MEDIA POOL
2. Save the file (.CSV)

CREATE A NEW PROJECT
1. Re-import all of your video and sound files into the new project
2. FILE > IMPORT METADATA TO > MEDIA POOL
3. Browse to the CSV file you created previously

This will re-import all of the hard work you put into the metadata in your video and sound files (like scene #, take #, etc)

I hope this helps someone. I'm really shocked Black Magic Design hasn't added this feature in yet. How can you offer a way to sync audio but not unsync it when it fails to do so properly?

Alissa Knight

Return to DaVinci Resolve