DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Njordy Jovanovich

DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat May 16, 2015 2:17 am

Hi, guys! First of all, BMD developers, I love you 8-) Every new release of Davinci (and cameras which I hope to have one day) is a blast of happiness and improvement in my life.

The release of Resolve 12 is on the horizon and features are revealed. So, I'm writing a request list for the next version, for the future. :) I hope at least some of that I'll say will make it into the "13".

Here is the list:

0. I think, after you acquired Eyeone, everybody is waiting to see the way Fusion would interact (or be integrated one into another) with Davinci Resolve. I don't expect "Dynamic Link", since it's a little bit different types of programs, but some neat workflow there should be. Also, it woundn’t hurt to put some additional compositing features inside Resolve, especially since you have Fusion algorithms now.

1. System requirements. They are sky-high right now. There is no way Resolve should be waisting 50% of my Retina Macbook Pro's CPU just by being open, not even playing a single clip. Some serious code-optimising needs to be done.

2. Additional scopes. They are great in Resolve, but ScopeBox application shows what some very useful ones are still lacking inside Resolve.

3. Additional color correction options. 3D LUT Creator shows some amazing new ways to manipulate color. Can’t this approach be implemented in DaVinci?

4. Color coding. For better organisation and visual separation, would be nice to be able to paint nodes in the Node Graph and clips on the Timeline into different colors.

5. Node connections. I know it’s nitpicking, but can’t it be curved, not straight? There is just something cozy and friendly about beautiful "macaroni" in Apple Shake and SideFX Houdini.

6. Another nitpicking. "OpenFX" and "Audio FX" tabs. "OpenFX" is a name of technology; "FX" in "Audio FX" is just short for "effects". It's a bit confusing, can you write "Audio Effects" instead. There is space for that.

7. Masks-to-RGB. For creative purposes, I'd love to be able to convert (maybe with a special node) mask from a regular node into... well, regualar node. And maybe even being able to render just a mask, just a matte mov.

8. Grain/Noise. Neatvideo is still a standard and the best tool for noise reduction, and Davinci is not on par with it. Since it's one of the selling points of the Full Version of Davinci Resolve, maybe it needs an improvement. Also, a simple bould-in gain simulation would be a nice addition. The current ways of using OpenFX plugins or overlaying layers are kinda cumbersome.

9. EasyDCP. Premiere is able to render DCP without any licence. I'm not saying it does job good, but it makes you think...

10. Restart. There is no way a modern app should ask for restart to apply any changes (adding new source path for example).

11. Downloads/Updates. There also no reason having different versions of Davinci on the site and on Mac App Store. No recent updates in MAS makes it, well, pointless. Also, is it possible to have OTA updates, without need manually download and install the package? Like smaller apps do?

12. Keep improving Edit tab. I'm really interested in moving my editing duties in Davinci, but it's still not an Avid.

13. Beauty work. It's possible right now, but I think it can be easier, better, faster.

14. Second monitor option. Right now, as I understand, it requires some Blackmagic hardware. Can’t it be done just by a software? Is it just a marketing strategy, what can be… changed? :)

15. Audio. As a man, who wants to stick to one brand/ecosystem, I’d love to see some further improvements in audio. Pro Tools suck, really. It’s nice what you have some basic mixing functionality, as well as VST/AU support, but it is gonna be way more awesome if the whole audio post could be accomplished inside DaVinci. Like having spectral repair, waveform editing, ect. Like to build in iZotope RX inside. Yeah, I can use Connect but all this bouncing back and forth, from app to app, is slow, old and stupid.

_________

Additional:

16. Cineform Raw support [ by Derrick Lay ].

17. Resolve Lite for Linux [ by Martin Schitter ].

18. Better sharpening options — Unsharp Mask equivalent. [ by me ].

19. Fast and easy way to copy media and timelines from project to project. [ by Scott Gilbertson ].

20. Cloud. Almost everyone is making some sort for Cloud/Web sync features, Adobe, Avid, Scratch, millions of them. Would be nice to have a little account/storage on BMD servers with some simple data, for example — collection of favourite PowerGrades, reference stills.

21. Tools respond to colorspace. When you switch the corrector node to other color space, LAB for example, the toolsset doesn't change at all. It says the same, with regular wheels, R-G-B curves and so on. It still perfectly function, but presentation is odd. [ by me ].

22. Curves — end point behaviour. You can't move then horizontally like in Photoshop:

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 02.26.52.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 02.26.52.png (24.7 KiB) Viewed 31487 times

I think I forgot a lot of what I wanted to ask. Anyway, who can add anything else? :)
Last edited by Njordy Jovanovich on Fri May 29, 2015 12:08 am, edited 9 times in total.

Remco johannes

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big and Well-thought-out Feature Re

PostTue May 19, 2015 7:52 am

In my opinion it's a bit early to make a wish list for resolve 13.
That having said, I agree on the point you make in 10. Restarting after changing preferences is silly.
point 15 is valid to. pt sucks
Resolve is adding eddit and sound inprovements like vst, which is great.
When resolve adds
aux and/or fx/group channel support
Audio "scopes" like frequentie analyser, and proper broadcast audio metering EBU r128
we can make mixes without leaving resolve.

Now first let's see what resolve 12 has to offer

Regards,

Remco Johannes

Njordy Jovanovich

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big and Well-thought-out Feature Re

PostWed May 20, 2015 2:03 am

Remco johannes wrote:In my opinion it's a bit early to make a wish list for resolve 13.
Now first let's see what resolve 12 has to offer

I think Blackmagic has shown pretty much everything they got for version "12", maybe some minor tweaks, but nothing big, so I'm not waiting any surprises. And I can't blame them, this newcomming major version offers pretty solid number of features (for FREE!) to it's customers. It's really too late for "feature request" list for "12". Nothing from mine would be able to get into it by now, so my hopes are for the next-next one! :mrgreen:

Remco johannes wrote:we can make mixes without leaving resolve.
That's my dream...

Ellory Yu

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:31 am

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:
1. System requirements. They are sky-high right now. There is no way Resolve should be waisting 50% of my Retina Macbook Pro's CPU just by being open, not even playing a single clip.

+1
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Craig Marshall

PostWed May 20, 2015 5:18 am

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:14. Second monitor option. Right now, as I understand, it requires some Blackmagic hardware. Can’t it be done just by a software? Is it just a marketing strategy, what can be… changed? :)

It could be done with just software as the latest Nvidia Kepler and Maxwell GPU cards offer 10bit or better colour and HDMI 2.0 outputs and some (expensive) CC software already does this. However, at the entry level, the addition of a simple BMD 'mini-monitor' PCIe card is a small price to pay for reliable, high quality 10bit 4:2:2 HDMI and SDI outputs which completely bypasses your OS/GPU colour management. ie: plug in the card, open Resolve and connect to a correctly calibrated, reference display and you at least have a fighting chance that you are seeing accurate colours.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 20, 2015 6:03 am

Wait for v12 first. I suspect there will be some last-minute changes that will alter the perspective of a lot of people.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostWed May 20, 2015 6:11 am

i really hope so too Marc !

Remco johannes

PostWed May 20, 2015 6:20 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Wait for v12 first.

agreed

Marc Wielage wrote:there will be some last-minute changes that will alter the perspective of a lot of people.

Really? are you in the loop? :?: ;)

RJ

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 20, 2015 6:21 am

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:14. Second monitor option. Right now, as I understand, it requires some Blackmagic hardware. Can’t it be done just by a software? Is it just a marketing strategy, what can be… changed?

I should make this a cut-and-paste.

You need a color-managed output independent of the operating system, going to a calibrated monitor. If you try to correct regular sRGB on a computer display, you'll get skewed results that can radically change depending on what your operating system is doing (or not doing). Don't forget that all DVI ports of which I'm aware only output 8-bit video, and you really need to see 10-bit video on the grading display.

Node operations are about to change in subtle ways. Editing is going to change quite a bit. Windows are also about to change (and this is something that's been asked for for about 9-10 years that I know of), all very good improvements.

Have you watched the Resolve 12 demos up on the BMD site?

alexgreen

PostWed May 20, 2015 8:38 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Njordy Jovanovich wrote:14. Second monitor option. Right now, as I understand, it requires some Blackmagic hardware. Can’t it be done just by a software? Is it just a marketing strategy, what can be… changed?

I should make this a cut-and-paste.

You need a color-managed output independent of the operating system, going to a calibrated monitor. If you try to correct regular sRGB on a computer display, you'll get skewed results that can radically change depending on what your operating system is doing (or not doing). Don't forget that all DVI ports of which I'm aware only output 8-bit video, and you really need to see 10-bit video on the grading display.

You can copy&paste it as often as you want, it doesn't get righter by that...
What you describe is "old fashion", this might have been necessary in the 1990s when you hat to attach a "grading screen" via a separate output to your computer. Those times are gone! Today you have digital interfaces and hardware (!) calibratable wide gamut screens as they're also used for example for photography etc. Those screens can display up to 99% AdobeRGB which is a much wider color space as REC709. So these displays are more than suitable also to be used in film color grading. People who have those screens could also use them with resolve, the only thing BMD has to do is supporting them with a colour managed output directly to the screen

Craig Marshall

PostWed May 20, 2015 10:21 am

alexgreen wrote:...the only thing BMD has to do is supporting them with a colour managed output directly to the screen

BMD already provide this support with at least two different versions of the HD-Link box: SDI to Display Port or SDI to DVI.
HDvideo4K.com

Dermot Shane

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:05 pm

alexgreen wrote:Those screens can display up to 99% AdobeRGB which is a much wider color space as REC709. So these displays are more than suitable also to be used in film color grading.

errrr, Alex, really no, no, no, nope, not....

poor uniformity & elevated black levels are issues that are baked into those screens... so wedding videos, and cat video's for youtube? sure, why not

When delivering a show for 100% qc at Deluxe/Technicolor/Fotokem or any other recognised QC house the screens you refrence are not good enough to spot the issues that will be found

And then beyond the techincal, the creative choices are open to being invlaidated when displayed on a callibrated screen

So there's a feature film that has made millions, and millions, has a huge fan following, and pubicaly was graded by the filmmaker in AE.. in reality i graded the film in full on gradeing theatre, no credit.. huge time preasure as release was locked down and the distb wanted some more attention to the grade.... 42 hours straight in the gradeing theatre under huge preasure, but the cheque cleared the bank ;-)

but many folks repeate how a filmaker can do it all... you may never know where the body's are burried, but one thing for sure is to look at any publicity with a careful eye and not beleive it, just 'cause it's a narative you want to beleive in...

If someone's gaining by selling you crap, and you want to beleive in crap... then in that world crap = truth, cause someone who knows next to nothing said so.

reality is that a color managed pipeline is vital to making deliverables beyond cat videos., wedding videos and youtube

Njordy Jovanovich

PostFri May 22, 2015 12:02 am

This is all great what you are saying, and I'm sure you are correct. But there are some people, who are not just cutting cat videos, but who still delivers for youtube (and gets paid for that). Primarily. I was among them. They don't need uber-presise accuracy of color. But they still need to fix video problems to some degree, and do some creative grading. Yeah, you can say what they better use some easy and stupid Magic Bullet or something or something similar, but some just grew to like Davinci and you can't blame them. Look, even for youtube I had to correct some really severe problems, match color and so on. And (in this situation) I don't care if what I see isn't 100% color accurate, I need to make it at least tolerable. For ##### youtube. And second monitor is a pretty comfy addition.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 22, 2015 12:41 am

alexgreen wrote:What you describe is "old fashion", this might have been necessary in the 1990s when you hat to attach a "grading screen" via a separate output to your computer. Those times are gone!

No, they are not. There's a difference between being "old fashioned" vs. being "very technically ignorant."

I would point to Steve Shaw's essay on the importance of monitor calibration as providing evidence as to why you need to color manage the output and why it's important to use a monitor you can believe:

http://www.lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

Jeremy Selan's "Cinematic Color" free technical paper explains several key concepts and definitions on the area of color management and monitor calibration:

http://cinematiccolor.com

Alexis Van Hurkman's Color Correction Handbook and several chapters in Alexis' own Resolve manual also stress the need for color management and monitor calibration. Ignore the need for color management at your own peril.

Putting it a more obvious way: let's say your own monitor is a little dark and a little blue... but you don't know it. You color correct a project on it and send it to someone whose monitor is a little bright and a little warm. Now, the end result is far worse than it would have been, because the two monitors are both wrong in different directions. Without starting with a known standard, things quickly spiral off into chaos.

I don't dispute that the scopes will at least tell you when things are horribly wrong. Though I would also say that external scopes (outside Resolve) will give you more reliable results.

Craig Marshall

PostFri May 22, 2015 2:01 am

Listen to what Marc has to say as during his long Hollywood career, certain things have become deeply embedded and this is one issue that new users need to take on board. Like many, I 'graded' some of my early HD films on a laptop or PC monitor and I was a 'colour' skeptic until someone explained to me that the less possible interference in the chain of events from camera Acquisition to final Delivery, the better.

I'm regularly asked by enthusiastic film makers to comment on their choice of components for their NLE/Resolve workstation builds and my recommendations are regularly slanted toward the purchase of a reliable, colour managed monitor first. Rather than spending all your money on the fastest possible monster computer, choose a quality reference monitor, a suitable interface (I prefer SDI over HDMI) and then the computer itself. Without a known and reliable reference point, you are really flying blind.

The free Resolve light will install and operate on a pretty inexpensive modern computer these days and seven to ten simultaneous blur nodes can be run at 24fps with only a mid range GPU fitted. The entry level 'mini-monitors' (either PCIe or TB version) are cheap enough for anyone to own so put your money into a quality reference display, calibrate it regularly and you will reap long term rewards over your competition who produce nice 'kitten' videos. If you are the creative type who can't understand the technology, team up with someone who does.
HDvideo4K.com

Derrick Lay

PostFri May 22, 2015 10:32 am

Add raw support for cineform raw. If we can squeeze it in for the final version for R12, even better! Thanks

Martin Schitter

PostFri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

resolve lite for linux would be the most important/necessary improvement from my point of view.

Njordy Jovanovich

PostMon May 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Martin Schitter wrote:resolve lite for linux would be the most important/necessary improvement from my point of view.

Derrick Lay wrote:Add raw support for cineform raw. If we can squeeze it in for the final version for R12, even better! Thanks

+3 Added to the list. I hope I haven't missed anyone.

timbutt2

PostTue May 26, 2015 5:19 am

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:9. EasyDCP. Premiere is able to render DCP without any licence. I'm not saying it does job good, but it makes you think...

10. Restart. There is no way a modern app should ask for restart to apply any changes (adding new source path for example).

11. Downloads/Updates. There also no reason having different versions of Davinci on the site and on Mac App Store. No recent updates in MAS makes it, well, pointless. Also, is it possible to have OTA updates, without need manually download and install the package? Like smaller apps do?

Let me take a stab at these three.

First 9 is one that I agree with. Resolve should be able to use EasyDCP without a license for at least 2K output like Adobe Media Encoder. However, I don't think that it should be in the free Lite version. 2K in the Full Version and then a license for 4K and beyond.

However, 10 is easily solved by not using the Mac App Store download. Plain and simple don't use that one. Download from the BMD Official Website and you'll never experience that issue. The reason the Mac App Store version does that has to do with the way that Apple installs the software through their App Store. SO BLAME APPLE FOR 10.

11 is solved from the point above because Apple has such a messed up method for submitting updates to apps they distribute through the Mac App Store that you're just better off going to the BMD Official Site. And, as pointed out above the Mac App Store causes your #10 issue.

You do have some solid ideas for some improvements. However, you should first try using the version off the site and the full Resolve as noise reduction is better in the full version. It's not Neatvideo, but better. Even on the Compare page of the Resolve BMD Section states that the Lite version doesn't have noise reduction and the full version does.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Sam Steti

PostTue May 26, 2015 7:48 am

Hey,

I admit I don't understand some of theses last statements...

9. Is really Premiere a correct example for what could be done here ? If you consider that OpenDCP and DCPoMatic are 2 free open softwares that can do the job and are - I think - the 2 most used by "non paying customers" ( :D ) , why not including one of them right into the Deliver Page, by talking to the developer team(s) of the one you choose ?
Licensing or not won't be at stake in the near future for this kind of stuff, BMD would be glorified by their customers and the whole press if they included a new free tool inside Resolve (a free tool that evolves with or without anyone, so that more and more people will use it anyway).
No suggestion about Lite version or not, but including a free external tool in th full version only may be a bit low...

10. For what I understand, what he said has nothing to do with the MAS version, it's in every version (I didn't and never dl Resolve - or nothing else as far as I remember - from the MAS, but some changes need restarting).

11. Let's stop considering the MAS for a while... Some OSX softwares have been using a framework* for years now, that allows to udpate (auto or not) inside the app, and then have a button appearing "Install and Relaunch", that doesn't force you to quit, open the DL folder, replace the whole package in the applications folder or install a .pkg...
It would be really more efficient and highly appreciated not to quit the environment of the Resolve GUI.
*If you're interested, this framework is called Sparkle and is available for any OSX software
I don't strictly know what could interfere and/or prevent BMD to use it in Reslove, but it's been existing for a while...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Njordy Jovanovich

PostTue May 26, 2015 3:15 pm

About last two comments, 10-11 on my list.

10:
Restart app issue has nothing to do with MAS or non-MAS versions, or updating overall. App should be restarted in order to be updateed, and I think it will alway work this way, and I don't mind. But then you change something in app preference (I gave an example already), it's silly to be forced to restart. Sam Steti got it right.

11:
Mac App Store. I love MAS, really. I love an idea of one store (although I have bought lots of stuff outside of MAS too) and good update delivery. And I'd prefer all my software being delivered thru it, although I understand it's impossible. And believe me, timbutt2, I do know about issues with Apple and it's approval system, and what it takes at least a week to get update to be published. But, the latest version on MAS right now is 11.1.4 (Jan '15). The current version of Resolve is 11.3.1. It's a big difference, you know. It more seems to me, what BMD doesn't care much about MAS versions. And if it's so, why bother? Ether have it been delivered only thru BMD website, or have MAS more or less up to date. It's not so now.
Additionally — Sam Steti, yeah, Sparkle framework is being used it lots of apps I am (mostly was) using, and I'd love it to be used by BMD. I do not understand why they make us go thru cumbersome way of downloading .pkg and install it with every single update. In my opinion, if Resolve is able to be distributed thru MAS, it is possible to implement Sparkle framework.

______

timbutt2 wrote:However, you should first try using the version off the site and the full Resolve as noise reduction is better in the full version. It's not Neatvideo, but better. Even on the Compare page of the Resolve BMD Section states that the Lite version doesn't have noise reduction and the full version does.

Hmmm. I didn't say anything about Lite Version of resolve, it doesn't have any NR, I know it. I said what NR function is one of the selling points of Full Version. And as I'm aware it is far from Neat Video and even Red Giant Denoiser.

Scott Gilbertson

PostWed May 27, 2015 12:42 pm

I am attempting to use Resolve Lite exclusively for editing.

#1 for me would be some way to copy a complete timeline, including media, titles, transitions and nodes, from one project to another. I would use that all the time for title sequences and that kind of thing. Occasionally I would also use it to borrow particular scenes from one project in a new project.

XML export/import kind-of almost gets you there, but a lot of things break. I generally have to render from one project and pull that clip into the other project, which gets complicated when transparency is involved. It also really eats disk space unless I compress those clips.

Multicam would be right up there, but it's on the list for version 12. Same for audio editing improvements.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Njordy Jovanovich

PostThu May 28, 2015 10:40 pm

← just wonderful node connections. Would look great in both Davinci and Fusion.

Dermot Shane

PostThu May 28, 2015 11:33 pm

so i while i am waiting for a film to export... and i still agree with Marc, wait to see what happens in v12... but anyway... from the perspective of someone who finishes / grades indie features and MoW's

1- the machine is a complete non-issue to me, it's so dead cheap already... a disk array to run ACES 4k proxies is atleast $30k, a gradeA 4k mon is another $30k.. what's the big deal about a 1k video card? It's peanuts in the big picture.

2 - never use internal scopes, not trustable, crazy really... so who cares?

3- oh yea yea yea.... look at the range of color tools in competing products and realise that Resolve has not had a significant update in it's color tools in a long time and is falling behind in it's area of core use

4- falls into the "who cares" catagory for me, as the entire thing is so deperatly in need of very basic tools being addeed, a little bit of lipstick on the pig does nothing for it's essential pig-ness

5 - see above

6 - who cares when the basics are so deeply flawed? (maybe sorted in v12 tho, one can have reasonable hope there)

7 - see #4

8 - DVO is the gold standard for NR, why aim so low as Neat?

9 - who cares once again, let a dedicated workstation crunch dcp's while i grade on a graeding tool..

10- it does not affect me, i keep the root of F through to Z alive all the time..

11- the download currenly works fine for me, not a problem atall, so why fix it?

12- it surly needs it, so yea, i refered to it as deeply flawed in #6 above, and have hope for v12 that it's a few lightyears better

13- back to #4 again....

14- it can be done, see Nucoda for an example, but they need to sell i/o cards to make the free version free i would think... Nucoda is not free btw...

15- and back to #4, 6, 12 &13

16- meeeeeh, waddeeeever... sure more supported formats are better

17- yea

18- and once again back to 4, 6, 12, 13 & 15.....

19- a HUGE +1 on this

20- mehhhhhh again

21- linear responce in the log gradeing tools

22- improved mapping for the small surfaces, see Baselight, Nucoda, Scratch, just about everyone but Resolve for examples

23- vastly improved cacheing, no more lost caches, no more invaladated caches when the image on screen does not change

24- write caches in a readable format like dpx - by the way if i had graded this film in Nucoda i would only have to copy my cache folder of dpx files, zero time wasted outputing, and i would have been on to the next thing two hours ago

25- fix the lsd renders for the folks still working on osx - and the last one out, remember to turn off the lights

Scott Gilbertson

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 2:21 pm

More came to mind as I continue trying to use DaVinci Resolve as a standalone NLE.

Discoverability. Hover-over tooltips on every control, not just some of them. If there's a shortcut key for the control, include that in the tooltip.

Timeline zoom using control-scrollwheel or something like that, rather than only using the little slider control.

A really easy way to see the as-edited duration of any item on the timeline. Right at the top or bottom of the inspector would be the obvious place. I have a bunch of "placeholder" text titles explaining what new shots need to be inserted. I needed to make a list of the durations for all of those shots to use as a guide on shooting day. I may have to write a program that converts exported FCPXML files to plain text, having failed to find one. Much easier would be to just read them on the screen.

AND/OR: Maybe there should be hover-over text for every clip on the timeline, showing some basic information, including the duration.

AND/OR: A plain-text export format for timelines, with settings to tell it what information you'd like to include. That would be the best option for my use-case. I'd just export, print, and stick it on a clipboard. There are probably good use-cases for the other two approaches, though. I say do all three.

If you goof up like I did (editing for about a day with the wrong timeline FPS setting), a way to change the timeline FPS after creating timelines, rippling through and adjusting whatever's necessary to make it all fit. Yes, some things might wind up being out by one frame, but at least you won't have to basically re-do all your edits. Item #19 would help here, but only if it lets you transfer between projects with different timeline frame rates. The way I recovered from my mistake is to export FCPXML 1.4, modify the rate in that file, import to the correct-FPS project, then fix all the stuff that breaks when you do that.

Integrated Microsoft Hyperlapse.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Ingmar Rieger

PostSun Jun 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Resolve on Linux (at least in the Dongle version) would be really nice. I fear that my next system won't be a Hackintosh but there are so many things why I hate a Windows Resolve already ... (No Terminal as in bash/zsh for fast work when moving files etc., no ProRes [come on Blackmagic, Scratch, RedCine-X and others have it now]). Being able to use Linux would make me so happy here.

And one big thing for me: Allow us to add individual color transforms for ACES or the new Colorspace-based grading to use individual color science etc. And allow to use the scopes on the working space (ACEScc/log or whatever) to be able to better see what we are doing in the space we work. No way to add new IDTs or in house color science except of LUTs currently.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 8:11 am

Scott Gilbertson wrote:If you goof up like I did (editing for about a day with the wrong timeline FPS setting), a way to change the timeline FPS after creating timelines, rippling through and adjusting whatever's necessary to make it all fit.

Resolve is essentially a database (albeit a very complicated one), and the initial timeline frame rate setting goes to the core of how the database works. This would be difficult to change. Generally, this is a mistake new users only make once.

Scott Gilbertson

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 2:48 pm

This one's probably even more controversial than some of my others...

Audio-to-audio syncing in dailies (auto, manual and auto-then-tweak-manually). That is, allow synchronization of an audio file to a video clip by aligning the two audio waveforms, without considering the video.

In the timeline I can do that easily, by putting the audio file on a second audio track, then sliding it back and forth until I don't hear any echo when playing the two tracks together. I'd like to be able to do that in Media, so the audio "sticks" to the video. Maybe I'm weird in this regard, but I find it easier to fine-tune the audio sync with my eyes closed.

If the feature's already in v11, I can't find it. As far as I can tell, auto only uses timecodes, and manual only uses video.

Marc Wielage wrote:Resolve is essentially a database (albeit a very complicated one), and the initial timeline frame rate setting goes to the core of how the database works. This would be difficult to change.

My day job is "Software Developer", with "All-Round Video Production Guy" being a part-time aspect of that job. Blackmagic has pulled off excellent implementations of many difficult things. I can't see how this one's more difficult than any number of other features.

I was almost able to make a simple program to convert an XML project from one frame rate to another, the holdup being that the MediaTimemapBA, VirtualAudioTrackBA and AudioMixerBA elements are opaque. That is, each is a big bag of numbers with no documentation, several of which change when you switch timeline rates. Some of the numbers are frame positions. Multiply those by the ratio between the "before" and "after" timeline frame rate, and you're basically there. Manual tweaking may be required, but at least you don't have to start over from scratch.

There are other affected fields (framerate, start frame number, duration in frames, perhaps a few others) but they're straightforward to convert.

If v13 includes the ability to export and import complete timelines, and if that export format is in seconds rather than frames, that would be a fine way to change the timeline frame rate.

Marc Wielage wrote:Generally, this is a mistake new users only make once.

Sure, OK, but that's a lot of annoyed people. In my business we'd definitely consider it worth fixing, particularly as the annoyed person may be someone evaluating the product for possible purchase. Surely Blackmagic doesn't want new users to have an annoying incident as their first experience with the software. Better to wait until they're fully committed, and then annoy them.

I'd have put a smiley there, except that I don't do smileys.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:just wonderful node connections. Would look great in both Davinci and Fusion.

Specifically, what do you like about them?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
alexgreen wrote:What you describe is "old fashion", this might have been necessary in the 1990s when you hat to attach a "grading screen" via a separate output to your computer. Those times are gone!

No, they are not. There's a difference between being "old fashioned" vs. being "very technically ignorant."

I don't dispute your arguments for standardized outputs, but what happens when you need an output not supported by BMD's hardware. Sure, for broadcast you have standards, but for special venues, you don't. Let's say I need a 10 bit RGB 8K x 2K 60fps active stereo. I can get that no problem from the Quadro hardware, but BMD has nothing that would support that. And really, what does a calibrated monitor get me when I know I'll be showing this at a special venue? I need to calibrate for that only, not to some reference spec.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 am

Chad Capeland wrote:And really, what does a calibrated monitor get me when I know I'll be showing this at a special venue? I need to calibrate for that only, not to some reference spec.

Are you going to invent a new standard? Or just use the existing SMPTE standards that have existed for 15+ years? And how do you plan to measure them?

The beauty of standards is that there's so many of them to choose from.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 6:35 am

in a few days i'm booked to grade a show that is displayed in one venue only, and across 4 x HD projectors, so it's 7680x1080 timeline... there's no standard for that (yet).

there is a place for this stuff, and there's other systems that support the workflow with a bit more elegance... color managed outputs through the quadro's display port for starters... nice to have choices... i'd leave Resolve to do what it does so very well, and lean on other tools when they are a better fit, like my gig on Friday...

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 10:22 am

Some small UI-wishes I have:
1. (Asked for this since talking to Resolve people at the BMD-booth at IBC 2013:) Save the state of "Gang custom curves" so that it stays the same when reopening a project. May be more places in the UI that get reset but this one bugged me the most.
2. Offer a setting for default values for "Low Range"/"High Range" and Pivot in the Log grading window per project. Depending on the data that is coming in it may be useful to have them at other places on the scale depending on how the log curve was designed!
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:And really, what does a calibrated monitor get me when I know I'll be showing this at a special venue? I need to calibrate for that only, not to some reference spec.

Are you going to invent a new standard? Or just use the existing SMPTE standards that have existed for 15+ years? And how do you plan to measure them?

The beauty of standards is that there's so many of them to choose from.

Why does it matter? If my output isn't 100% to spec, why would it matter if my content was? You don't need a standard if you aren't doing content-only distribution. If my output device runs a unique multiprimary gamut at a odd refresh rate and resolution, how will old SMPTE standards help?

But even so, what if I want to use a new standard, something provisional or experimental? Or what if I want to use a longstanding standard, but BMD doesn't support it?

I've worked on programs that could not be done in Resolve because, while they were standards compliant, BMD's products did not cover those standards. How would you handle Ang Lee's "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" on BMD hardware, or even just in Resolve's software?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:in a few days i'm booked to grade a show that is displayed in one venue only, and across 4 x HD projectors, so it's 7680x1080 timeline... there's no standard for that (yet).

there is a place for this stuff, and there's other systems that support the workflow with a bit more elegance... color managed outputs through the quadro's display port for starters... nice to have choices... i'd leave Resolve to do what it does so very well, and lean on other tools when they are a better fit, like my gig on Friday...

Not sure about other OS's, but in Windows you can have a single output from a GPU be exposed to software, but not to the OS as a display. "Direct mode" display lets you have a guaranteed bypass of any OS GUI interference, so it's application-wise identical to using a dedicated output device like from BMD. And you can run crazy formats out of it, whatever resolution, arrity, bitdepth, and framerate you want, so long as the DP or HDMI spec supports the bandwidth. The GPU drivers have to support this, of course, but Nvidia and AMD both do, so it wouldn't be hard to get device coverage.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Chad;

my take is that it's not that the displayport cannot be color managed (it is when Nucoda, Scratch, DS use it), it that Resolve does not use the displayport so folks will have to buy a video i/o card... a kind of dongle for the free version...

i have no issues with that btw.... so off we go to prep for this art gallery project tomorrow, using Nucoda and DS

Finishing a MoW in Resolve today tho.. useing the tool that fits the task at hand....

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:Chad;

my take is that it's not that the displayport cannot be color managed (it is when Nucoda, Scratch, DS use it), it that Resolve does not use the displayport so folks will have to buy a video i/o card... a kind of dongle for the free version...

i have no issues with that btw.... so off we go to prep for this art gallery project tomorrow, using Nucoda and DS

Finishing a MoW in Resolve today tho.. useing the tool that fits the task at hand....

Oh sure, I get the business case, I just think it's unfriendly to customers that are interested in paying. Like displayport out could be a $500 option that they sell to Resolve (not Lite) users.

But blaming a business decision on technical issues is what I have the biggest issue with. Don't tell me that something isn't professional unless you are willing to solve the technical issues that my professional work actually entails with your business case.

- Chad
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

JPOwens

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:what does a calibrated monitor get me when I know I'll be showing this at a special venue? I need to calibrate for that only, not to some reference spec.

Not that this thread is as far away from the subject line as it can get, because there probably still is some room for that, but where it has evolved makes me wonder if everyone is on the same page with the concept of calibration.

No matter what space I might be grading for, it would be nice to know what the other end is expecting so that the whole exercise isn't launching a flying er "leap" at a rolling toroidal target.

If that is defined by SMPTE, EBU, CCIR and other legislative bodies, FCC, CRTC... yadda, yadda, then that is a matter of compliance with international standards, as outmoded as that concept might be. Could be a giant "who cares?", if there weren't any lawyers involved and this wasn't a business where no money was changing hands.

If the situation is a one-off venue with a projector that someone has set up using personal preferences.... that's not against the law and actually describes every TV Set that Fred and Marge has monkeyed with since the introduction of radiodiffusion.

Even though I know that is patently true, it does not obviate the need for some kind of specification. Whether it is "calibrated" to something, or "characterized" somehow, or "matched" between source and exhibition, it still needs to be repeatable or reproducible ... sort of like "science." It requires no faith, belief, supposition, superstition, surmise, opinion or persuasion.

jPo

Craig Marshall

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:...my take is that it's not that the displayport cannot be color managed (it is when Nucoda, Scratch, DS use it), it that Resolve does not use the displayport so folks will have to buy a video i/o card... a kind of dongle for the free version...

True. This is 'off topic' but some may be interested. I recently tested Assimilate Scratch on Win 7 64bit PC installed with a 'consumer' GeForce GPU rather than the traditional Quadro card. My 'non scientific' tests revealed that a Nvidia GTX 970 could indeed support 10bit from Display Port output and 10bit (or better) from it's HDMI 2.0 port. From memory, the specs of the latter suggest it's capable of displaying 14bit 4:4:4 at up to 60P with the right software.
HDvideo4K.com

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 5:33 am

I once did a multi-monitor project for a giant convention for Reebok shoes, and I believe we were using 6 simultaneous 35" CRT monitors on the floor, sides, and in front of the user, all shot on six simultaneous cameras, allowing the person to simulate jogging down various roads. At one point, they wound up rolling the rig into the building next door so that we could have a look at it, and the engineers valiantly spent about 20 solid hours (and I think $10,000 of the client's money) aligning all the monitors so they had a semblance of reproducing what we painstakingly color-corrected, one shot at a time, in the color-timing room.

It was kind of for naught: the monitors were shipped to the convention center in a city about 1000 miles away and I think the crate was dropped... several times. I later saw the producer and he kind of shrugged and said, "eh, about half the monitors looked great, a couple looked mediocre, a couple looked horrible, but we fudged it and everybody loved the display." Given that Reebok had spent over a million dollars on the book, and I think $250,000 on the shoot, they were ultimately happy with how it went.

But at least they started with the monitors sorta/kinda being in the ballpark. I believe they were industrial Mitsubishi monitors if memory serves -- the whole monitor rig was like 3000 pounds or some wacky deal. If they had used the monitors right out of the box with no adjustment at all, it would've been far, far worse. I would say the same thing about any theme park or movie theater. Standards exist for a reason, and anybody who ignores them (particularly in a professional application) does so at their own peril.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Will Tejeda

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 5:30 am

Any word on what's being added to 13 for real ?

NAB is right around the corner , and, in traditional BMD fashion, w'ell probably get a sneak peak at whats coming this year
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Njordy Jovanovich

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 10:22 am

Nope. But we hope they listened...

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 1:09 am

They keep things close to the vest. Given that we already had a new version of Resolve only about 6 months ago, I'm not sure if there will be a giant change there. But a final version of Fusion is almost ready, and I'm hoping there will be an easy Resolve -> Fusion -> Resolve round-trip feature at some point.

Andrew Shtern

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 9:59 am

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:7. Masks-to-RGB. For creative purposes, I'd love to be able to convert (maybe with a special node) mask from a regular node into... well, regualar node. And maybe even being able to render just a mask, just a matte mov.

It is already possible. Page 720 of Resolve 12 Manual covers this subject pretty well.

I'd like to add, that in my opinion the feature, that should be improved first and foremost is the Power Windows:
1) Ability to modify multiple bezier points at a time. Move/Scale/Rotate/Delete. It's a must;
2) Modifier keys for add/remove points;
3) Modifier key for fast zooming when painting a rotoshape, for precise point placement;
4) Ability to track single point of the shape, not only the whole shape;
5) Unified controls for all types of Power Windows (Softness/Aspect/Size). So it's not like now, when e.g. Softness works for Circular but not for Poly, or Aspect working for Circular, but not for Poly or Linear;
6) Automated Face Tracking. There's a lot of algorithms, similar to used by Google or Apple for face recognition. Since manipulation of actor's face is an often used feature, it would be nice to have such tool.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4b6, Windows 10 22H2 19045.3570, NVidia RTX3060 12Gb

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 9:55 pm

6) Automated Face Tracking. There's a lot of algorithms, similar to used by Google or Apple for face recognition. Since manipulation of actor's face is an often used feature, it would be nice to have such tool.

I like that one...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 am

Andrew Shtern wrote:5) Unified controls for all types of Power Windows (Softness/Aspect/Size). So it's not like now, when e.g. Softness works for Circular but not for Poly, or Aspect working for Circular, but not for Poly or Linear...

I think that makes logical sense. I'd like to see Aspect working for all modes.

Harm Rieske

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi all,

try to use resolve for editing as well since version 12. Resolve has some nice features for this but what I'm missing the most are a some keyboard shortcuts and the way they are assigned.

- Using a graphic representation of the keyboard to place shortcuts on, as is done in AVID and FCP, has two benefits. 1. seeing where the shortcuts are. 2. Assigning a shortcut to multiple keys (for setting in and out for instance so that you can use your left hand while JKL-ing through footage)
Tabs for modifiers and the different EDIT / COLOR pages would be necessary.

- Features that I would like to assign as shortcut include:
1. Create subclip
2. Duplicate timeline
3. Raise or lower audio level of clip by step of 3db (feature not yet included)
4. Assign selected clips to new/current group
5. And of course, next previous node

(At the moment I also experience that some preset shortcuts only work when the contextual menu at the top containing the command is opened e.g. nodes > add serial node + CPW. I don't know if this is a mac bug but would be nice if fixed)

- A smart filter in the lichtbox that let's me sort on the version used: remote / local / 1st. This would be really practical when mixing versions.

- GUI
1. In dual Screen mode keep the floating video scopes window available so it can be viewed on a third screen.
2. When opening a freshly created project open the project settings window

And as a final request to BMD I would like you to postpone all of the above if that means you can release a stable version that is free of bugs. I might be old fashioned but I like it when things work as promised and don't just crash unexpectedly. If it is a BETA version I understand, if there are still some issues in the new major release I understand but in that case please use updates to fix any problems and bugs. Although we are all praying for new features please don't put them in the updates if you are not sure everything else is still working as it should.

That said, I'm already looking forward to version 13 (a lucky number for some)

Denis Pilon

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Here is my list:

1- Need to implement Eztitle plug-in for Resolve (Subtitle plug-in). Avid has this plug-in and it works so great
2- Add motion blur in Inspector (Great to reduce some flickers during a vertical movement for a roll, in an end credits from a tiff file)
3- Add spline controls for X & Y axes in spline display (Great to easy out the end of a roll in an end credits)(For the moment, X & Y axes are not enable)
4- Add Grain FX and match grain FX. IT IS A MUST !!!
5- Enable timecode entry via keypad on Deliver page to go directly in a specific timecode over the timeline
6- Enable clips with different frame rate in Edit page and from AAF and XML. Normally the clips should play at the project frame rate via a retime FX. For exemple, If I put a 25 fps clip in my 23.976 fps timeline, so the system put automatically a retime FX of 104.16 fps to compensate. IT IS A MUST !!!
7- Need a paint tool, as a node, to fix scratches, to clone textures, to isolate and put some effects in the image. In 2016, IT IS A MUST for a good online system !!!
8- Good to have a way to show the matte of the clip in Source viewer and/or in Record view too
9- Good to have a shortcut to duplicate timeline
10- Need, by lasso, to grab several control points in a shape to move, delete them, etc
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

Paul Swan

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 pm

I really want LUT preview library at least for inspiration and fast look and more pleasant lut navigation. 8-)

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 1:39 am

Denis Pilon wrote:Add motion blur in Inspector (Great to reduce some flickers during a vertical movement for a roll, in an end credits from a tiff file)...

It is possible to have zero flicker and aliasing in credit crawls if you choose precisely the right font, the right size, and the right vertical crawl speed. There's an art to doing this right. But you can't do it in Resolve or any other editing program.

I agree with many of your other suggestions.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve