DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean Claude

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 9:50 am

There is also another method to the color tab for markers :
During the reading a marker is created. Then click on it and press CTRL+M => you can change the color and directly enter what you want. (Maybe it's more intuitive)

edit marker.jpg
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 11:21 am

Jean Claude wrote:There is also another method to the color tab for markers :
During the reading a marker is created. Then click on it and press CTRL+M => you can change the color and directly enter what you want. (Maybe it's more intuitive)

edit marker.jpg

if you're not moving the play head, pursuing "m" twice will open the market edit tab
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jean Claude

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks for the tip
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Michael Odhiambo

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Custom conform framerate options. Shot 3K anamorphic on the URSA mini @ 40 fps on a 25 time base. I want the clip to play back at 40, not 25,30 or 48... or the other preset framerates. Just the option to change to a custom conform number (Like is possible in Premiere Pro)

Jean Claude

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:41 pm

I find it convenient the "change clip speed" (tab edit) on a clip (manual => page 551). Did you try? (Unless I did not understand what you want? :? )

Nick Lear

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 7:34 am

It would be nice to be able to lasso an edit point and automatically be in trim mode without hitting the "trim edit mode" button first, like on Avid. I have discovered (just now!) that alt-shift lasso does select the edit point, but it doesn't change the mode so doesn't really help. Perhaps alt-lasso could enter trim mode? Even better would be another modifier to auto enter dynamic trim mode.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Jean Rivoire

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 7:25 am

Allow to use personal titles settings for all projects used in davr. Currently if you drag and drop titles in media pool it will be available only for one project.
Fcpx, regarding titles, is a nice reference to copy.

John Paines

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Jean Rivoire wrote:Allow to use personal titles settings for all projects used in davr. Currently if you drag and drop titles in media pool it will be available only for one project.

Drag title into the Power Bin instead.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm

John Paines wrote:
Jean Rivoire wrote:Allow to use personal titles settings for all projects used in davr. Currently if you drag and drop titles in media pool it will be available only for one project.

Drag title into the Power Bin instead.

? power bin is in the color page, titles don't show in the color page,.

am i missing something stupid?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

John Paines

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 4:42 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:? power bin is in the color page, titles don't show in the color page,.

am i missing something stupid?

I assumed he meant timeline titles (like credits). Not so?

Jean Rivoire

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes, sorry! I talking about titles in Edit window. I have to title a lot of short video everyday, but not all in the same time.
Currently if I create a custom title (font, color etc.) I have to use it with my project. If I close davinci, this custom title disappear. I wish a function, like Fcpx, to save my presets and make them available for all my projects.

Larry Schmitt

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Number one hope for 13 is improvement in wacom pen sensitivity. Slightly touching a clip in edit tab should not move the clip. This does not happen in any other NLE.

Another big thing and I hope I am wrong about this but I can not output a file that has multiple stereo pairs. The metadata shows 12 mono tracks instead of 6 stereo ones.

And why do buttons work one way in one tab and not the same way in another? Example which gets me every time, Go to head and tail of clip in color using ; ' keys does not do anything in edit tab. And as mentioned can not take mark in and out points from edit tab to deliver tab.

Peter Cordes

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 10:45 am

Monitor Calibration with XRite i1 in DaVinci Resolve while using the monitor at an Intensity Pro 4k Card (and others) would be very very helpful.

Thanks
Peter

Alex Uzan

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 12:56 pm

- Timeline clip name.
When I cut a clip in three parts on the timeline, I like to change the name of each part.

John Paines

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 2:13 pm

The behavior of clip select mode has been hammered here many times -- where clip selection remains in effect, even when the selected clip is nowhere near the playhead and even off-screen on the timeline -- but it seems to me there's a simple solution: cancel clip selection whenever the playhead is moved without previous/next clip cursor commands.

In other words, any use of the mouse, clicking or scrolling, to move the playhead cancels clip selection, just as clicking in an empty area of the timeline would. I'd wager this is going to be the preferred result the vast majority of times.

Tony Martin

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 am

when the edit decision list is filtered in the EDIT page add a button or control to toggle the filtered list on/off on the edited timeline so that one can re-position the filtered clips especially when working on a long timeline

waltervolpatto

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 am

John Paines wrote:The behavior of clip select mode has been hammered here many times -- where clip selection remains in effect, even when the selected clip is nowhere near the playhead and even off-screen on the timeline -- but it seems to me there's a simple solution: cancel clip selection whenever the playhead is moved without previous/next clip cursor commands.

In other words, any use of the mouse, clicking or scrolling, to move the playhead cancels clip selection, just as clicking in an empty area of the timeline would. I'd wager this is going to be the preferred result the vast majority of times.

"selection follow playhead " help to minimize the issue

John Paines

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 12:54 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:"selection follow playhead " help to minimize the issue

There's *got* to be a better way..... Frankly, I'm surprised this "feature" doesn't provoke more complaints, it adds so much work, and disrupts work.

Robert Arnold

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 pm

John Paines wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:"selection follow playhead " help to minimize the issue

There's *got* to be a better way..... Frankly, I'm surprised this "feature" doesn't provoke more complaints, it adds so much work, and disrupts work.

I totally agree. This is probably the top infuriating "feature" of the BM interface.

John Paines

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Robert Arnold wrote:I totally agree. This is probably the top infuriating "feature" of the BM interface.

Thanks for the moral support! Anyone else, please pile on here, I don't think the developers appreciate how disruptive this behavior is. Which is a shame, because the interface is promising in other respects.

On top of that, the shortcut to de-select clips -- even when you remember to do so, when the selected clip is no longer in view -- doesn't work at least half the time, which makes it even more aggravating.

Jean Claude

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi,

1 / What would be nice is to have (at the top / bottom of the screen ... does not matter) how much space is still available on the HDD cache in green.
2 / the possibility of being able to declare a second HDD for the cache when the first one is filled from a certain percentage (configurable).
Example HDD Cache M2 = 1to (very fast). HDD 2 = 4to (HDD standard). If HDD 1 is 90% full => auto-switch to HDD 2 with the incidator (1 /) in red.
In any case, do not lose data and do not go to the crash because of not having enough room. At the end: everyone to make his arrangements. But no Crash.
(It exists on some software)

thank's

timbutt2

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 pm

For DATA BURN INS:

I'd love for you to be able to add a logo and custom text with different opacity levels. I'd like it if the opacity wasn't tied together for all the Data Burn Ins. This way I could put a logo in the lower right corner at 33% opacity, and text dead center that's large and reads "PROPERTY OF PRODUCTION COMPANY" at a lower 15% opacity.

This is a great way to protect footage when handing it off to others, but I would love more control. Enabling this extra control means I could also have the timecode running at a stronger opacity while the text is at a lower one. Just some ideas.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Javier Sanchez

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 3:14 am

I would like to See a real manual for the Big panel. I know there aré functions i still dont know.
Also diferent framerate timelines in same project.
Dont forte apr in Windows
Javier Sanchez Ortiz
Colorist (Telecine-Digital)
Owner

EnGamaDos S.p.A
www.engamados.cl

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm

John Paines wrote:In other words, any use of the mouse, clicking or scrolling, to move the playhead cancels clip selection

I don't think that's a safe assumption for the software to make. Generally, the program should do what we tell it to do. So if you select a clip, and no longer want it selected, you need to manually deselect it. It shouldn't be done automatically.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 3:12 pm

John Paines wrote:the shortcut to de-select clips doesn't work at least half the time

That may be a valid bug that needs fixing, but adding an automatic deselection is not the best way to handle the situation.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:In other words, any use of the mouse, clicking or scrolling, to move the playhead cancels clip selection

I don't think that's a safe assumption for the software to make. Generally, the program should do what we tell it to do. So if you select a clip, and no longer want it selected, you need to manually deselect it. It shouldn't be done automatically.

I can't remember how this is handled in Avid or Premiere, but the issues which arise thanks to its implementation in Resolve, a sort of "sticky" clip selection mode which constantly trips you up, were not present. It can be incredibly frustrating. I didn't get much support this time, but it's been remarked upon by a number of users here in the past.

Bear in mind, my suggestion is only for mouse clips which move the playhead, not (for example) selecting or deselecting other clips or accessing menus or performing other functions

Jean Claude

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I do not know if it might interest: "Selection follow play head" ON. If you want to scrool the timeline from left to right or reverse without losing the selection:
Position the mouse cursor in the audio space. Press the middle mouse wheel without releasing and moving left or right the timeline without losing the selection. (Left / right movement proportional to the zoom factor (CTRL / + or CTRL / -) ) When releasing the middle mouse button: attention: the selection is retained.

(In windows 10)

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 9:38 pm

John Paines wrote:I can't remember how this is handled in Avid or Premiere

It's the same in Premiere as Resolve. Manual deselection, usually by clicking an empty area of the timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 9:41 pm

John Paines wrote:my suggestion is only for mouse clips which move the playhead

I get that. But it's an assumption by the software about what the editor wants. That's generally not a good way to design professional software, which should only do what the editor tells it to do.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:I can't remember how this is handled in Avid or Premiere

It's the same in Premiere as Resolve. Manual deselection, usually by clicking an empty area of the timeline.

No offense meant, but do you have actual editing experience with Resolve? I used Premiere fairly extensively, and never ran into this problem. Again, my memory is admittedly foggy, but that's probably because the issue never arose.

Granted, what I propose may not be the solution. But there's got to be one, because this snag does not arise on other NLEs.

John Paines

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:my suggestion is only for mouse clips which move the playhead

I get that. But it's an assumption by the software about what the editor wants. That's generally not a good way to design professional software, which should only do what the editor tells it to do.

If you have ready access to Premiere, would you do me a favor? Select a clip and then hit next or previous clip. Did that action deselect the existing clip but at the same time select the next or previous one, depending on where you moved?

That may be the only difference, but it's a large one, in consequences. In Resolve, you could be three timeline screens away from that selected clip, but hitting (say) "next clip" would bring you right back, and would select the clip immediately in front of it (3 timeline screens away). I don't believe Premiere operates this way.

Jonathan Murphy

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 4:04 am

.krw from kinefinity camera support would be amazing.

Nick Lear

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 6:15 am

In Resolve, you could be three timeline screens away from that selected clip, but hitting (say) "next clip" would bring you right back, and would select the clip immediately in front of it (3 timeline screens away). I don't believe Premiere operates this way.

The main difference is Resolve conflates next clip and next edit into one shortcut, which PP & Avid don't. John, I agree it's very frustrating. For me, if I could have just next edit as an available keyboard shortcut, even if it wasn't used in the default keyboard, that would be enough. My workaround is I have mapped deselect all to an alpha shortcut and I hit it after every selection operation or I click outside the timeline, but this can be confusing as there's no colour difference between an empty track and the background (request as option).
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 11:30 pm

John Paines wrote:do you have actual editing experience with Resolve?

Still pretty new. Working my way through the manual still.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 11:34 pm

John Paines wrote:Select a clip and then hit next or previous clip. Did that action deselect the existing clip but at the same time select the next or previous one, depending on where you moved?

It did not. The selected clip remains selected until it is purposefully deselected.

As it should.

The exception is when using the Selection Follows Playhead option, which is normally off in the Edit workspace (but can be turned on manually, if desired).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 pm

John Paines wrote:In Resolve, you could be three timeline screens away from that selected clip, but hitting (say) "next clip" would bring you right back, and would select the clip immediately in front of it (3 timeline screens away). I don't believe Premiere operates this way.

I see that as well. Seems there is a bug here where Resolve is not respecting the Selection Follows Playhead option. It operates as if that option is turned on, even when it is not.

But it seems as if it's a partial bug, functioning as if the option is turned on only for keyboard shortcuts.

In other words, turning Selection Follows Playhead off works for mouse movement, but the feature remains active for keyboard movement.

I'd be surprised if this was by design, and would consider it a bug.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 am

Jim Simon wrote:I'd be surprised if this was by design, and would consider it a bug.

As I recall the "clip selection follows playhead" option worked as advertised, though it's too cumbersome to use in my view.

But the general design here appears to be a feature (alas!), not a bug. See Nick Lear's post above.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 6:20 pm

John Paines wrote:As I recall the "clip selection follows playhead" option worked as advertised

I've never seen an advertisement for the feature, so I can't comment on that.

But it's not working as it should be. As it does in other software. It remains active for keyboard navigation, even when turned off.

I'd consider that a bug.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jean Claude

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Maybe try SHIFT+CTRL+'A' (unselect all) before and you can keyboard navigation(up/down) Without selection (and "clip selection follows playhead" OFF)

Nick Lear

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 pm

John Paines wrote:If you have ready access to Premiere, would you do me a favor? Select a clip and then hit next or previous clip. Did that action deselect the existing clip but at the same time select the next or previous one, depending on where you moved?

That may be the only difference, but it's a large one, in consequences. In Resolve, you could be three timeline screens away from that selected clip, but hitting (say) "next clip" would bring you right back, and would select the clip immediately in front of it (3 timeline screens away). I don't believe Premiere operates this way.

Hi John,

I checked out the behaviour of Media Composer (don't have PP atm).

1) Clicking "go to next edit" does de-select the previously selected clip (except in effects mode) & it goes to the next edit from the playhead & not the selected clip
2) Clicking on the timeline ruler also de-selects the previously selected clip (even in effects mode) & again respects the playhead.

I also tried turning on Timeline>Selection follows playhead in Resolve & I think that brings much more trouble than it's worth as every time you click on the timeline ruler it selects the clip there, even if you hadn't previously selected one.

So what about a request of clicking on timeline ruler deselects? (sometimes a bit easier than empty timeline space which you might have to scroll to find)

John Paines

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Nick Lear wrote:So what about a request of clicking on timeline ruler deselects? (sometimes a bit easier than empty timeline space which you might have to scroll to find)

I think you were on to something before: decouple next and previous clip commands, from clip selection mode. So maybe you could move to other areas of the timeline, using next and previous clip commands, and not be propelled back to that selected clip, and not select other clips in the process. And presumably, if you wanted to perform another kind of action, like a trim or a clip delete elsewhere, initiating that action with the mouse or the keyboard would deselect that orphan clip.

Just hope they do something, soon.

Aaron Hinton

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:02 am

I can only think of 3 additions that I'd absolutely love to have:
1. ProRes encoding on Windows.
2. Support for KineRAW (.krw) decoding.
3. Built-in OpenFX grain that works with handles. (Currently, the grain doesn't move during handles).

Nick Lear

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:41 am

I think a big part of it is respecting the position of the playhead. Even if they don't want to have a next edit, I think at least next edit/clip should be next from the playhead, rather than from the currently selected clip. I think in editing, the position of the playhead is vital and it's stressful for an editor if it moves. Another example is dragging in a clip jumps the playhead to the end of the clip.

Nick Lindridge

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 am

Larry Schmitt wrote:Number one hope for 13 is improvement in wacom pen sensitivity. Slightly touching a clip in edit tab should not move the clip. This does not happen in any other NLE.

Wacom's configuration with the Cintiq Pro lets you adjust the sensitivity curve of the pen and eraser including the point at which pressure starts to do anything. If your tablet has the same config options, might be a workaround if you've not done this already.

John Paines

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Nick Lear wrote:I think a big part of it is respecting the position of the playhead. Even if they don't want to have a next edit, I think at least next edit/clip should be next from the playhead, rather than from the currently selected clip. I think in editing, the position of the playhead is vital and it's stressful for an editor if it moves. Another example is dragging in a clip jumps the playhead to the end of the clip.

I agree -- previous/next clip should always be relative to the current playhead position. Changing this rule when a clip is selected, on screen or not, upsets expectations every time.

Nick Lear wrote:Another example is dragging in a clip jumps the playhead to the end of the clip.

That, too. It's even more infuriating in Windows, because although you can usually start timeline playback with the spacebar after inserting a clip from the media page, a "previous clip" command (to get to the head of it) will be operative in the media page until the timeline window is clicked. Catches me in the wrong place every blasted time...

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm

Nick Lear wrote:I think at least next edit/clip should be next from the playhead, rather than from the currently selected clip.

Definitely. The current behavior is...odd.

Though I would argue that with Selection Follows Playhead turned off, simply moving the playhead should never deselect anything, nor change the current selection in any way.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Cave

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 am

Clip selection seems quite ok to me.
prev/next selects edit boundary when no clip selected & selects clip when a clip is selected.
Other editing software also requires a positive deselection of a selected clip. If I select a clip I want to move in the timeline using the edit cursor (to view another clip) without the selected clip being deselected.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Simon Rabeder

Only two request for Future upgrades

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

I was quite happy with recent upgrades and love to grade in Resolve at he moment. Accost is a game changer for me and I love the whole handling especially with the addition of the temp and tint controls (very intuitive, no more RGB; direct eye/hand coordination now).

I also kinda like to edit in resolve now, for most stuff I still prefer an NLE and offline workflows but for some projects I like to do it directly in Resolve, especially for quick reedits in the color suite (picture lock is never really picture lock). I'd rather just do it quickly and not reconfirm to a new XML and migrate the grades, lose all the caches and stuff.

That being said, I am really missing two features:

1. OMF export - it is a necessity to edit in resolve only w/o an offline edit. I just wanna get into pro tools easily and quickly, without any picture data.

2. Node copy paste including node cache status, this will migrate when middle clicking on another clip, but not when I copy paste from another node, always takes me pointing and clicking for no reason. This would save me a lot of time.

Jim Simon

Re: Only two request for Future upgrades

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Simon Rabeder wrote:I just wanna get into pro tools easily and quickly

I'd kind of prefer Resolve stepped up it's audio game, so no need for Pro Tools.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jonathan Murphy

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:47 am

Kinefinity krw raw support please!!!
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve