DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gabriele Gelfo

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Circles, squares, freehand shapes, lines
I use this stuff within Premiere Pro Titler.

Sort of Fusion 8 embedded in DaVinci without export-render-re/render back and forth process
or
same Adobe Dynamic Link behavior without rendering in Fusion. I scrub the play head in DaVinci and the render is performed in realtime using the Fusion rendering engine.
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

Cyril Gimenez

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Please reduce that bottom menu bar (media/edit/color/deliver) at least by HALF !

I love the fullscreen option, getting rid of that useless titlebar, but if it's to still loose space for such a waste at the bottom, what's the point ?

;)

Jim Simon

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Russ Holland wrote:generating optimised media a background task so I can keep working would be awesome!

I believe it is now.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Nick Lear

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:34 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Russ Holland wrote:generating optimised media a background task so I can keep working would be awesome!

I believe it is now.

I'm not seeing that on latest Mac 12.5.5
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Gabriele Gelfo

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 am

support of virtual reality output devices: Oculus Rift and HTC vive.

Supported workflow for 360° stereoscopic videos.
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

Mike C Bonner

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 am

Caching retiming effects on the edit panel.
Unless I'm doing something wrong, according to the manual, sequence caching under smart caching caches opacity changes and transitions, but not retiming effects. This would be a good place to cache retiming on a clip, especially optical flow, and not have to recache when making color adjustments in the color panel.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Nick Lear wrote:I'm not seeing that on latest Mac 12.5.5

I'm on Windows. Could be different. But there is an option to only create the Optimized Media when computer resources aren't being otherwise used.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Nick Lear

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm on Windows. Could be different. But there is an option to only create the Optimized Media when computer resources aren't being otherwise used.

Is that in Prefs>General>Optimized media? And you're sure you're not referring to caching i.e. Prefs>General>General>Enable background caching after x seconds?
I'm thinking of switching to Windows so this would be a bonus.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

John Paines

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 pm

There's no background caching of Optimized Media on Windows on either, unless it's well hid.

Gerhard Riesenhuber

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am

Sorting stills & powergrades by labels!
Exporting them with unique filenames including the labeling.
Remember the export format for the stills and don't switch always to DPX.

I use stills all the time, it would be a huge timesaver!

Thx

Majush James

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 10:07 am

organize luts more. may be a window which can show the luts and then drag and drop or double click to apply. now its painful scrolling thru the list of luts when using 3rd party lut packages

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 pm

selectable, be able to grab a still with the burn-in informations
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

mattfezz

4 Edit Page Requests to Help Conforming

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 am

So I've been matching an offline with a fair bit of keyframing going on (postition, time, with easing etc.) and a few things have been making a bit harder than it should be.

1) Changing properties in the edit page should dump the source cache.
When working with r3ds I usually have it smart cache. However when I update say the zoom or position in the edit page, the image won't update as the cache won't refresh like it does for input sizing. It results in having to turn off the caching while doing it and/or continually manually deleting the cache. This should at least be an option.

2) Have a temporal curve for position in the timeline
This seems to be relatively hidden, but you can adjust the temporal (as well as spacial) smoothing on position with the centre dot when you have the transform wireframe up. But it is not in the graph like zoom/rotation etc. is. This is really annoying as sometimes you need to match the curve of say a scale move to a position move and having to adjust the ease in two different locations is not very intuitive. I am guessing there may be some legacy FCP7ness causing this or something?

3) When moving the image with the transform wireframe, don't have it adjust the reference wipe
Currently if you have a wipe up comparing to the offline reference, click and drag to move the shot around with the wireframe, the reference wipe is adjusted also. This can make aligning the two difficult - I usually have to do it in the inspector instead.

4) when reference wipe mode is on - you cannot drag from the source viewer
I have seen this come up before, but if you have say a mix wipe active, you cannot drag the clip from the source viewer to either the timeline or the ui overlay.

Reading this back, I hope I don't come across as an entitled prick, it's just these little things have been bugging me today ;)
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Andreas Schwarz

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

I would like to have more flexibility with text, like having scrolling rich text, preview of fonts etc...Resolve is the worst editing programm for working with text...

QuentinBrown

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:12 am

Coming at it from an on set DIT perspective:

Background rendering - The engine is essentially there for this since smart cache works as it does it just needs to be an option on the Deliver tab. This would be so helpful on jobs where you are extremely pressed for time as you can get on with importing and applying settings & metadata to the next incoming mag whilst the previous one is rendering. The option to turn it on or off will be appreciated by those who use the render stage as a final QC watching it as it goes. A pause and resume function on the render queue would also be very handy as would the ability to then re-order the items in the queue to prioritise something near the end of the queue that someone suddenly needs immediately rather then later...

Better Metadata importing / mapping Currently the clip metadata from many key high end cameras in common use is not fully imported or mapped to useful metadata fields. Arri Alexa being a prime example. I noticed fps listed without a decimal space so 24.000 fps reads as 24000! Other useful fields such as lens info just don't seem to be mapped at all. Please Blackmagic give a little love to this, it really should be very little work to build a more comprehensive table of mappings. A custom field mapping interface would also be great further down the line for csv's and ALE's and data coming from other sources than the pre-mapped cameras.

More advanced Variables On a similar theme it would be great to be able to select a limited range of characters from a variable for burn in's, file naming and metadata entry. Also to be able to apply calculations and append series. So for instance I want to use the last four characters of the file name A001C003_170326_B6FC to generate the unique camera ID field I could enter %FileName[e,1,4] with e setting it to count from the end, starting at character 1, giving me 4 digits. Similarly something like %NumSeq[4,1,13] would when applied to a number of selected clips give them a number sequence based on the current sorting in the media pool; [4 characters long, incrementing by 1, starting at 13]. And say I want to change a sequence of numbers by adding 1 to them or dividing them by a number, I'd love to have options to apply to the variables to do that.

Custom mappings in Third Party control surfaces Sure you have just released the new micro and mini panels, and they are pretty lovely, but as D.I.Ts we have to use a wide range of software like Livegrade and others and we can't use those panels for that - you have provided no SDK. We also need to keep our workstations portable and lightweight and can't easily afford to accommodate more than one panel. Our only option is to use widely supported 3rd party control panels. Give us a break and let us map them or at least update the mappings to reflect some of the thought that has been put into the micro and mini panels. Please!

LUT preview multi view This has been mentioned already I believe, but it would be great to be able to see and preview a whole bunch of LUTs at once in a grid in the viewer applied to the footage a bit like you can with a split screen of gallery grades. I have gone through folders of LUTs applying them one by one and saving stills then using the split screen/gallery grades feature to get this effect in the past but that is hugely laborious. Some way of automating it would be great - even if it's just importing a folder of LUTs to create a still gallery like you can with CDL's. Add to this then being able to click on certain screens from that split to select just those, hit a key to drill down to just those in the split, then do that again so you can drill down and choose one. It should also highlight the stills in the gallery as you select and drill down so you can see the names and which ones are selected. This would be very helpful in making a quick selection from a lot of options when standing there with the DoP on set during the few short seconds they have to come and look on a 1 day commercial shoot, and would be great with any type of gallery still. It would also be great to have this work when in Resolve Live mode so we can do it on a live image before we turn over....

manuel_songokuh

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 9:19 am

hi

i'm new fresh for davinci resolve..
i wish to ask you to add new feature:
first
- MATCH color from clip original to clip bad color (different: expure, white balance, kelvin) example link:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12675?lo ... cale=en_US
http://revisionfx.com/products/rematch/
http://www.digitalproducer.com/2003/01_ ... or0127.htm

secondo:
- text with effect typewriter, (each different:size,font,color,style,etc)
- node: add NODE MERGE
- MASK shape in node
- deinterlace build-in
- IMPORT FILE SVG vectorial (not convert in RASTER) svg is from inkscape
- add new effect in openFX buil-in from blackmagicdesign
- add path folder for openfx in preference setting (user)

for now i have not new idea, but i will back here for new idea okay?

thank you manuel

Chip.Murphy

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 am

manuel_songokuh wrote:hi

first
- MATCH color from clip original to clip bad color (different: expure, white balance, kelvin) example link:

secondo:
- MASK shape in node
- deinterlace build-in

thank you manuel

Nearly everything you requested is already in Resolve. Have you read (or searched) the excellent 1,000+ page manual that comes with resolve?

EvanGriffin

DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 am

There are a lot of features I’d love to see, but I'm going to be contrary first and say that Blackmagic should probably cool it on new features for a while and focus on optimizing the software as it is. I appreciate Blackmagic's dev cycle and how frequently they usually update and pack in new features, but many releases since 12 have been problematic for me. Perhaps my system is completely at fault (doubtful, though I am looking into a new workstation), but I should not be getting the number of crashes I'm getting, even when working smartly with optimized media, node cache, render cache, proxy mode, etc.

I think the worm at the core for me is Resolve's implementation of OFX. I have had many, many crashes over the years that Blackmagic has looked at and said are the result of OFX plugins or running out of VRAM, even when working on very modest shots with little complexity. OFX developers blame Blackmagic, Blackmagic blames the third-party developers, maybe the truth lies somewhere in between. One developer of an OFX plugin suggested when I was having issues that I organize a meeting between Blackmagic and their dev team. Really? I should be the one to get you guys on the phone with each other? And this is some very popular third-party software. There should be more communication going on and support between Blackmagic and third-party developers to prevent people like me from constantly being hobbled and frustrated and wasting time on a shoddy integration of OFX.

I like OFX in theory and it allows me to do things Resolve just can't do, and I've spent a lot of money on them, so it would be nice if that implementation worked better or Blackmagic created some stricter standards for developers. Or, just disown OFX. Just don’t provide an option that is so prone to failure and problems and crashes as it is now, at least for me. Whether it's OFX or just optimization, resource management issues, and caching in Resolve, I think the existing software should be looked at more thoroughly by Blackmagic, but maybe they are doing that and I just suck.

One more caveat, I'm not a programmer and I definitely don't understand what the demands or challenges are of my requests, but oh well.

Ok, having said that, here are some of my dream features/areas to optimize:

Render-Cache Handles option

Render-cache clip handles (by default handle length assigned in Edit settings) without having to park on each clip individually and let it render. Just an option somewhere in project settings or the render cache dropdown to also render the handles for your grades automatically. Then, in the timeline view, there could just be a little icon, two bumpers on either ends of your clips that denote the handles have been cached.

This is the bane of my existence... Well one of them. My clients almost always want source resolution, round-tripped renders with handles, and I like using render cache in final delivery, because it helps speed things up and mitigate crashes, which tends to happen a lot on a trashcan mac pro handling 4k files and a meager 7-10 nodes applied :)

At the very least, just change the current system. Why when I render a clip in the color page while viewing handles, the handles render, I save, quit, restart, then I go back to the same clip, view handles, and the handles are now unrendered and red in places? Why is Resolve's memory so foggy when it comes to retaining cached handles? Even without quitting Resolve, sometimes jumping between shots and caching them while handles are enabled, I'll return to an already cached shot and its handles are spotted with red or just gone.

Having handles pre-cached and using them in final delivery would help me so much. Oftentimes, when I render with handles in the deliver page it struggles with the handles or that jump between unrendered handles and the render-cached part of the main clip, and crashes can happen. For whatever reason, render caching the handles in the color page seems more stable than using render cache in the deliver page.

Smarter / More Stable Caching

Caching can be a nightmare for me, and it seems to have only gotten worse in newer updates. It would help my workflow considerably to have…

Enabling/Disabling node-cached node should not automatically require re-caching. I just want to be able to revisit certain nodes and make sure the correction is right without totally re-caching. This is problematic especially with compound nodes that are intensive (have some OFX nodes inside them). Resolve should not discard the cache so quickly if you're just bypassing your one node-cached node. It should recognize it has that cache already and connect it.

Creating a new version of a shot should not automatically require re-caching. Really? Nothing has changed. It can’t recognize that and inherit the cache from the last version? I work in versions a lot so this is particularly frustrating. Same goes for copying a remote grade to local. Why does Resolve always re-cache after going to local when nothing in the image is changing? Aaaaaand... same goes for copy and pasting the exact same clips I already had cached in one timeline into another one. They shouldn't lose the cache they already had. I just don't see a plausible reason for this and why making small changes that don't break cache prevent the same shots from inheriting the old cache.

Also, even if nothing changes and I only work downstream from my cached nodes, many times Resolve will decide the upstream node needs to re-cache arbitrarily, when I've done nothing to break the cache. Caching is not stable or consistent for me to say the least.

Also, I’d like an option to just select a bunch of clips at once, right-click and choose ‘render cache disabled for selected clips’. It’s particularly annoying and time consuming when working on a long project and you get toward the end, a lot of shots are locked, and for some reason you need to clear some space or something's off and you want to delete your entire render cache except for a couple shots you’re still working on, but after doing so Resolve decides it needs to regenerate the cache for the shots you don’t want. Rather than selecting every single one of those shots individually, finding a buried node thats set up for node caching and turning that off, one by one, over and over, it would be nice to batch disable any caching for selected shots.

Pause Rendering option, not just enable or disable render caching globally.

Option to delete all other versions' cache except active version.

Undo Behavior

It drives me crazy when I undo and wind up in the last node adjusted for that level of undo, keep working, make adjustments and realize I'm affecting the wrong node. I want to just stay inside the node I was working on after I undo. I want to quickly undo and redo to see changes, not be kicked out into another node. This should at least be a behavior you can choose in preferences (Default behavior or Stay on same selected node after undo).

Also, Resolve loves to group multiple changes together into one Undo operation. Say I change a curve and then change my offset. If Resolve feels these things happened in close succession, then it considers that a compound change and undoes both of them. This drives me crazy sometimes. Each action should be its own level of undo.

In addition, I've noticed, frequently, Resolve will forget levels of undo. For example, if I tweak the red channel output values in the RGB mixer and I go to .74, click and release, look at the image and then after a couple seconds change the same value to .95 and then change it to 1.04, and hit undo, Resolve will just skip to .74, forgetting .95 was used. Not a fan of having adjustments forgotten by undo. Especially when I have to use my pen to get back to the value I want in the RGB mixer, which reminds me... Bonus feature request: ability to manually input values for RGB bars and RGB mixer with your keypad.

Matrix Transforms

"Smart" matrix transforms
Like what is available in Baselight. I want to engineer my color inside Resolve without going into third party software and screwing with making LUTs and bringing them in, and potentially degrading my image.

"Dumb" matrix transforms
A toolset to enable and control common matrix functions, such as pure, true blacks/whites (certain designated IRE threshold not allowed to exceed specified cyan value etc.) and Resolve handles the rest to balance it.

I know I'm not alone in sometimes using a dummy node with no corrections and a 3D qualifier just to use the Despill option, if it works for the shot (sometimes it disagrees with a particular clip or introduces ungodly noise). This is an example of what I would like available as a tool with more applications.

Grade Management

Smarter Copy and Paste
For example: Copy Color Correction Only from a node. Or Copy Qualifier Only, Windows Only, etc.

Node Groups
Basically, being able to create a single node or a series of selected nodes and treat it as a group and have it in 'Clip' view, not Post-Clip. Then when you assign other shots to that Group, only those nodes are propagated, appended, and linked. This doesn't change things drastically, I personally just hate bouncing between Clip view and Post-Clip all the time. Some group nodes with a little badge to indicate they're grouped would be nice. And I understand this could create problems if this were applied to Remote Clips the way Resolve currently is, but I can think of times it would be nice to work in remote grades and then for some shots have group nodes and Resolve would just ignore those in the other remote shots unless assigned.

Selective Remote/Group Grades
Whether in groups or remote grades, it would be nice to designate what is propagated between linked nodes. For example: Right-click on a node and choose link only curves, link only color, link only windows, etc. Or combinations of these. Whatever you want. So, if the shot called for it, you could easily have completely different windows on two different remote shots (windows unlinked), but only the color adjustments are linked and propagated between the two shots for that node.

Group Versions
Pretty self-explanatory. Would like the ability to version groups.

UI

Universal ‘Cleanup Node Graph’ option
Ability to Cleanup Node Graph inside compound nodes or a pop-up node graph from a still or timeline shot.

Ability to open up and exit compound nodes within a node graph you pull up from stills or other shots in timeline.

Input and output nodes are still annoying. They like to pin themselves to corners of the screen and stretch everything out. This seems to have gotten a little better, but I'd like some better cleanup here.

Show Colorspace metadata in View Clip Details window.

Show Offline (yes or no) as a metadata category, so you can filter all of your offline shots and quickly find them.

Delivery

More Codec Options for Avid AAF Workflow
I worked on a job that was having issues with DNXHR 444. Multiple Avid editors confirmed there was an update and issues with Avid interpreting that codec. But on a project where they want source resolution UHD files like this job, this is your only option. I had to render out ProRes and the editor had to eye match my outputs to his sequence, but the ProRes worked. So I was, in part, a big pain in the ass on this job, and just the simple ability to render out ProRes with an AAF would have saved me. And an option to output an EDL instead of AAF would be nice, also.

My congrats to anyone who made it through all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heiko Thies

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I have a request which I think is mostly useful for users of somewhat hacked together panel solutions like xkeys / avid artist / tangent panels etc. But I think this could easily be implemented and of use for everyone. It would be most helpful if all the available panels in the GUI could be accessed by keyboard shortcuts. Meaning that you can assign a keyboard shortcut to each of the pages in the curves panel or the qualifiers and so on. I'm sure this is rather easy to implement and could boost productivity by a huge margin. A lot of the hacked solutions right now include macros with mouse clicks which are hardcoded and GUI resolution dependent.
Also to my knowledge right now even the new davinci panels do not switch to all pages in the GUI correctly, so maybe if this is something that BMD will be working on regardless? I'd more than love to have these keyboard shortcuts added to Resolve in the future!

manuel_songokuh

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 4:46 pm

hi Chip.Murphy

i respond to you: then yes i did see but i want to say for version 13 or future version for new feature:
add MATCH color there are example:

this mean that davinci resolve have not it, fot this why i want to say here information ok?

for now i begin to use resolve: i see that keyframe window(session COLOR) is poor feature:
- add mark,edit mark, delete mark
- next step of keyframe point
- snap for keyframe (point) to playhead line
- zoom keyframe with MOUSE WHEEL (ctrl+mouse wheel) instead use tool ZOOM is not workflow..
- selector multiple keyframe for to move timeline (keyframe window)
- showtips is missed in keyframe window

other things:
- deinterlace build-in (missed in version FREE) this is not cool, because version Studio is Expansive..is not correct philosophy..

Chip.Murphy wrote:
manuel_songokuh wrote:hi

first

secondo:
- MASK shape in node
- deinterlace build-in

thank you manuel

Nearly everything you requested is already in Resolve. Have you read (or searched) the excellent 1,000+ page manual that comes with resolve?

waltervolpatto

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm

"because version Studio is Expansive"

please, 1000$ for a software you use to do real work, even paid ones.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

mattfezz

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 pm

manuel_songokuh wrote:- deinterlace build-in (missed in version FREE) this is not cool, because version Studio is Expansive..is not correct philosophy..

Mate, if you're getting this software for free - I don't see how you can justify complaining about missing features that are in the paid version?

As Walter said, the software is incredibly cheap - the most popular plugins for it cost more than the program itself...
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

PhilStone

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Ability to set the time line to seconds

Adelson Munhoz

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Possibility to lock individual clips in the timeline (not only tracks)

"Create Subclip" feature directly from the Timeline and not only in the Media Manager or the Source Viewer in the Edit Page.

A shortcut to "Create Subclip" in the Source Viewer. There's no keyboard mapping for that.

When draging a long clip to the timeline (that exceeds the current view) there should be some kind of indicator if it's overlapping other clips ahead (and therefore erasing them)

John Paines

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 am

Adelson Munhoz wrote:Possibility to lock individual clips in the timeline (not only tracks)

Is this really a good idea? You can disable individual clips with the "D" shortcut, but one locked clip would effectively prevent ripple edits for the entire track, and potentially make changes in other tracks impossible, thanks to sync/auto-select conflicts.

Adelson Munhoz wrote:"Create Subclip" feature directly from the Timeline and not only in the Media Manager or the Source Viewer in the Edit Page.

You can drag any timeline clip into the Media pool, effectively creating a subclip.

Adelson Munhoz

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 am

You can drag any timeline clip into the Media pool, effectively creating a subclip.

Thanks John. This is indeed a workaround. I was unaware of that

But the clips generated this way does not behave like "real" subclips for three reasons:

1 - They are not named as so i.e.: <clip_name> subclip. I would have to name it manually to distinguish from the original clip

2 - The duration reported remains unaltered (it remains that of the original clip, differently of "real" subclips that assume a new duration)

3 - The beginning and the end of "real" subclips are fixed. After created, I cannot "invade" the material of the orginal clip

I think it would be simpler if I could just select a bunch of clips in the Timeline and click "Create Subclip", no?

Is this really a good idea? You can disable individual clips with the "D" shortcut, but one locked clip would effectively prevent ripple edits for the entire track, and potentially make changes in other tracks impossible, thanks to sync/auto-select conflicts.

I think that a locked track it's what prevents a ripple edit for that track. A locked clip should permit ripple edits on that track except on the portion occupied by that clip.

Imagine the following situation: I am editing a videoclip over a music (so with a pre-determined duration).
I know how the videoclip should end: for example, with 4 or 5 clips combined in some way.
Once edited, I do not want that any operation in the beginning or the middle of the timeline change this ending.
Sure, I can put those 4 or 5 clips in 4 or 5 tracks and lock them. But I will generate a tall timeline with 4 or 5 tracks just occuping space.
It would be simpler to select those 4 or 5 clips and lock them, freeing the rest of the tracks to be used.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 12:11 pm

My wish list is for bug fixes...
  • Fix 4:2:2 external video monitoring when downsampling from 4:4:4
    4:2:2 clips with 4:2:2 monitoring is fine, but if you have 4:4:4 or RGB clips with 4:2:2 monitoring the downsampling to 4:2:2 is incorrect. Some delivery formats are even affected by this bug. Tested on Mac and Windows.

See forum disussion and detailed examples here.

• Fix performance drop on Color/Delivery pages when system audio isn't used
    On Windows, when you disable "Use System Audio Output" in Resolve and use a DeckLink or UltraStudio for monitoring, performance drops from +60fps to 28-32fps on my system, but only on the Color and Deliver pages. If you start another program that has sound output (doesn't even have to be playing), high performance returns. My current workaround is to not disable system audio but to mute Resolve.exe in the Windows Volume Mixer.

See forum discussion here.

• Fix Color page GUI performance drop when monitoring 4:4:4, scopes are on and data levels are set to "Video"
    Tested on Windows:

Video Monitoring 4:4:4 + Scopes visible + data levels set to Full = great GUI performance

Video Monitoring 4:4:4 + Scopes visible + data levels set to Video = abysmal GUI performance

Sure, 4:4:4 and scopes tax the system, but why would data levels have such a large effect? Note that external monitoring framerate is unaffected, only the user interface elements are affected.

All of the above can be reproduced using suitable footage or even generated media in Resolve.

Giordano Lu

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 1:33 pm

my little list to this important thread :

- ability to paste track data with independent control of what you wanna paste (zoom, pan, tilt, ...)
- better keyframing, ability to see graphically all the transition points and control graphically the bezier in each frame (not only in the inspector, but in all keyframes views)
- vertical zoom of audio waveform (just the waveform "image", not the actual audio), this helps to syncronize audio without messing with the audio levels
- copy and paste nodes (never understood why it cannot be done..)
- being able to unlink chroma and luma in the "better" spatial NR
I7 7700K, 32G, 16T, GTX1070 | NVIDIA 385.28 | DR 14.1 | MiniMonitor 4K | DesktopVideo 10.9.7 | Windows 10

waltervolpatto

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Giordano Lu wrote:my little list to this important thread :

- ability to paste track data with independent control of what you wanna paste (zoom, pan, tilt, ...)
- better keyframing, ability to see graphically all the transition points and control graphically the bezier in each frame (not only in the inspector, but in all keyframes views)
- vertical zoom of audio waveform (just the waveform "image", not the actual audio), this helps to syncronize audio without messing with the audio levels
- copy and paste nodes (never understood why it cannot be done..)
- being able to unlink chroma and luma in the "better" spatial NR

copy no paste nodes ATM can be performed with the [cntr+c/v] of the keyboard.

on the big panel i have it mapped to a xkeys...

Randy Rubin

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Render pro-res in windows. Make it an additional paid option or for studio if it's an economic issue.

Fix DNxHR render bug ASAP with Titan cards on Windows. I'd like to update my drivers...

Dermot Shane

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

what's bugging me this morning is not being able to set boundry layers in optical flow. it's otherwise pretty good, but the lack of being able to define boundry layers, and animate / track them makes the opticalflow near worthless on anything other than a slam dunk simple shot.

So i'm roundtripping to DS that aslo has very good opticalflow, but it has definable and animatable boundry layer divider, there is zero options in Resolve to sort this

Chip.Murphy

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Cineform encoding support on Linux would be great. ProRes would be optimal though...

Marc Wielage

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 am

waltervolpatto wrote:selectable, be able to grab a still with the burn-in informations

Yes, that could be useful.

Randy Rubin wrote:Render pro-res in windows. Make it an additional paid option or for studio if it's an economic issue.

It's an Apple issue, not a Resolve issue. There's quite a few Windows programs (like Premiere) which can't render in ProRes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Evgeniy Rusinov

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm

we need more avid FX integration beetwen avid and resolve)) like opacity(from animatte or paint effect), masks, titles if possible and so on will be great :oops: :mrgreen:
for example if we want to create polyframe with movement and masks and titles at the edit stage) :mrgreen:

Randy Rubin

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Marc Wielag wrote:It's an Apple issue, not a Resolve issue. There's quite a few Windows programs (like Premiere) which can't render in ProRes.

Premiere not having ProRes encoding is also a huge issue that Adobe should address. And if it is an Apple issue, then Blackmagic and Adobe should be making extensive efforts to lobby for their customers. ProRes is an industry standard delivery format.

http://web2.assimilateinc.com/media/new ... ndbreaking

Assimilate scratch has ProRes encoding on Windows FYI.

Blaming Apple is not acceptable. They haven't manufactured a suitable workstation for years and we need a solution to this issue.

PieroLass

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

PLEASE!!!
AAF for Protools with handles or the entire original audio file.
It's very important!!!!
Otherwise I can't edit a movie with Resolve since i not able to deliver to the sound department the audio as they request. And it's difficult to explain to the producers...
Thank you!!!!

P.s. I find a roundtrip with Premiere pro with a xml and another with X2pro with fcpxml, but anyway is a huge pain in the...(since there's always trouble when you are in a rush to deliver the movie)

waltervolpatto

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Randy Rubin wrote:
Marc Wielag wrote:It's an Apple issue, not a Resolve issue. There's quite a few Windows programs (like Premiere) which can't render in ProRes.

Premiere not having ProRes encoding is also a huge issue that Adobe should address. And if it is an Apple issue, then Blackmagic and Adobe should be making extensive efforts to lobby for their customers. ProRes is an industry standard delivery format.

Blaming Apple is not acceptable. They haven't manufactured a suitable workstation for years and we need a solution to this issue.

it is an apple problem. dnx works without an issue.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

the ability to lock a timeline/shots in the media page so we cannot delete them [or move them]...

you will need to select the clips/tl with a lock and unlock then first

waltervolpatto

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 pm

a simple check in the delivery page to add the [.] to an export (for padding of sequences)

Paul Provost

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Randy Rubin wrote:

it is apple's choice not to provide it. apple hasn't licensed prores to anyone on windows in many years. and back when they did do it, those applications were very expensive turnkey "big iron", usually many 10's of thousands of dollars. not "prosumer" priced desktop apps. Scratch was I believe around $20k when they got prores and the others like Nucoda, etc were far higher priced ($100k+). so a tiny user base in comparison. As those same apps prices plummet, I bet apple would cancel those license deals in a heartbeat if they could now.
apple's behavior is almost spiteful at this point - they won't support a pro user base, yet they won't let anyone use Prores after they got the entire pro user base hooked on it. it's bizarre.
I think a better solution is to get something open sourced like cineform which has been ratified by SMPTE as VC-5, working properly at any raster and with 4444 encoding so we have a permanent solution that is not at the mercy of apple's whims.
get everyone off of prores instead.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

waltervolpatto

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 am

like i said, dnx simply put, works....

(abs)

Paul Provost

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:23 am

i find nothing works like prores with the weird larger than 4k rasters I get request for deliverables (video walls, round trip same as source, etc). DNXHR and cineform don't seem to work correctly larger than 4k - yet
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

John Paines

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:31 am

Meanwhile, it looks to me as if Cineform is at least twice as efficient as DNxHD -- same quality at half the size. Informal testing, however.

Paul Provost

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:31 am

i still don't trust it completely... as much as dnx anyways
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

waltervolpatto

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:13 pm

not sure if i need to RTFM ot is a request:

have a mode in edit were if I hit play the playhead snap at the center of the timeline and the timeline move instead of the playhead (scrolling horizontally if it make sense). obviously keep the current as option...

I find this very useful (coming from other platforms...)

Tasio Liberakis

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm

i would like

to see clip duration on clips in the timeline
have access to optimized media
rename clips from the media pool (not just the display name)
lift and cut tools above the timeline
overwrite and insert modes (e.g option) when dragging clips
customizable timecode display
W10 pro 22H2|X399 Taichi|TR4 1920x|64GB Hyper X@2133|
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41
Nvme system&scratch disks

Lucius Snow

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Please add a "Pause" (not only "Stop") button in the deliver tab.

Please add an option to set a TC with a cursor.

Aaron Hinton

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 pm

The ability to lasso Power Window points would be amazing (like with Masks in After Effects). Moving the points one by one is a huge pain when having to do extensive color rotoscoping.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 am

Aaron Hinton wrote:The ability to lasso Power Window points would be amazing (like with Masks in After Effects). Moving the points one by one is a huge pain when having to do extensive color rotoscoping.

You can
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

waltervolpatto

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 am

Would be great if the "Gang" feature toggle was assignable to a hot key, and have the focus swap function [Q] working with the source viewer in "Gang" mode.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve