audio faders for resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

karl krach

audio faders for resolve?

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 pm

i know this question might be a little premature since it will only become an issue with resolve 12 but...: does that thing support any sort of hardware audio faders/encoders?
i'm currently looking at resolve as an editing tool and from what i gathered up to now, this looks really promising! the only big question i'm still asking myself: how would i control audio without using my mouse/keyboard? from what i learned, resolve only supports very few dedicated grading panels but these are all geared exclusively towards grading...
my dream solution would be to use something portable like a midi fighter twister - which ideally i could freely configure to control clip audio levels and maybe even some very basic color things such as black level, gamma, white level and saturation.
any chance of this happening? or what would be the alternative solution for the audio part?
k

Marc Wielage

Re: audio faders for resolve?

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 7:04 am

I would say it's a very bad idea to try to use Resolve, Avid, Premiere, FCPX, or any video editing system for sound mixing. My opinion is that you're much better off using a dedicated sound mixing/editing system like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, or any other pro application. Otherwise, it's kind of like using an axe for heart surgery: you'll wind up killing the patient instead of doing the delicate work required.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Remco johannes

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I would say it's a very bad idea to try to use Resolve, Avid, Premiere, FCPX, or any video editing system for sound mixing. My opinion is that you're much better off using a dedicated sound mixing/editing system like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, or any other pro application. Otherwise, it's kind of like using an axe for heart surgery: you'll wind up killing the patient instead of doing the delicate work required.

It depens.

If you got multitrack recordings with a lot of tracks to be edited
eg 12 drum
3 guitars
16 vox
2 bas
roommics etc
Yes do it in Cubase or simmular DAW

But when you got a few stems/submixes
eg stereo Music
stereo vox
Stereo dubbed percusion
voceover
few tracks fx/foley
that needs some minor tweaks
Mix-edit-grade In resolve seems like a good idea

Remco johannes

karl krach

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 12:39 pm

hello again,
my idea is definitely NOT to replace prootols with resolve and use that for final audio mixing.

but many times in editing, you have one mic louder than another or just want to quickly layout some sound stuff - which gets incredibly easier when you have an external hardware fader/encoder dedicated to this.
since this happens while editing i as well much prefer (illuminated) endless encoders to motor-faders since the latter constantly move around while navigating which can be quite annoying (hence the midi fighter twister).

but back to the original question: are (or will be) there any support for hardware audio control devices and if yes, for which?

thanks again for all your help!
k

karl krach

PostThu Jul 16, 2015 1:30 pm

sorry for bumping this up but i'm still wondering:
are (or will be) there any support for hardware audio control devices (faders/encoders) with resolve and if yes, for which?
thanks
k

karl krach

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 4:50 pm

um... am i the only one who is wondering about this?

hello blackmagic, has there been any thoughts about support for hardware audio faders/encoders?
even if you guys say "no, we never thought about this and never will", i'd still be interested to know...

thanks
k

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Hello, Carl,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Please be assured that we welcome the feedback and consider it in the development and improvements of our hardware and software products.
DaVinci Resolve engineering team has been working hard on the upcoming release of DaVinci Resolve 12 that among all of its very exciting new features includes improved audio editing support, including new GUI fader interfce with automation as seen in the "what's new" video on this page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve.

There are many opportunities for us to expand an already full featured editing toolset in DaVinci Resolve, and the audio is a very important part of it.
While I am not able to comment on when and if any one particular feature would become available, feature request and the feedback from users like you are important to us.
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov BMD on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

karl krach

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 7:00 pm

thanks for your reply!!
i guess i'll just come back in like half a year and bug you again with this... ; )

in terms of feature request: what would be really cool is, if i would able to freely map all commands/values to midi or osc - like you can with many audio programs. most NLEs only support mackie or eucon which is good but also rather limited...
as outlined above, my personal dream eg. would be to use small (mobile) encoders (like the midi fighter twister) - which i could then just configure to my needs. i do have enough buttons on my keyboard to trigger actions but what i do NOT have with a normal keyboard/mouse-combination is an interface to increase/decrease values easily....

k

Malcolm Matusky

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 11:15 pm

I would like to use a simple audio fader as well! I have the "Faderport" which I used to use in VEgas, worked great. Useless with Premiere. Now that I'm exploring Resolve 12 as an NLE I would like to use my Faderport or the Icon Qcon lite to control audio mixing.
Asus WS x299 Sage, Win 10 pro, I9-7920x 12 core watercooled, 64GB ram, Gtx 1080ti watercooled, BM Intensity Pro4k I/O card, Raid Card 24TBx8, Thunderbolt 3 card.

Richard Dean

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 12:05 am

I too need control surface support .

I use the Mackie MCU and in FCP7 I do fairly nice mixes

When the original tracks are well recorder and much audio sculpting isn't needed. For that I send

To a protools house .

Thomas Blanchard

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi,

I am editing projects with Resolve12 and appreciate it. But: it would be great to connect it to hardware faders. Is this possible??
Resolve Studio Monterey 18.0.1 build 3 Mac OS Montery 12.5.1 MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 32GB RAM

Thomas Blanchard

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi Resolve Developpers,

it would be of great help, if you could confirm, that presently external hardware audio faders can be connected to Resolve 12 or not. It wold prevent me and others from guessing and/or buying wrong gear!

And by the way: great job you have done and continue trying to make Resolve a full fledged editing tool for primetime! It's great!
Resolve Studio Monterey 18.0.1 build 3 Mac OS Montery 12.5.1 MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 32GB RAM

Julian Williams

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 12:30 am

I also have a Mackie MCU PRO and would like to use the faders to control the tracks. I use Premiere Pro and it is so easy to control the timeline with the transport and jog wheel and mixes can be accomplished very easily match volume and automating mutes and pans. I love Fusion and am trying Resolve mainly due to the Fusion Connect function.. I have worked with fusion exports in Premiere and it works fairly well (Place the export in the Premiere time line then Update it with exports from fusion). But It would be great if Resolve offered audio control and a similar audio plugins workflow to Premiere. Oh and I can't even get all of my plugins in Resolve but that is another issue.
Resolve Studio, Fusion Studio, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Cinema 4D
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac i9 Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB VRAM, 96GB RAM
Macbook Pro i7 8GB RAM
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Bart Walczak

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm

I recently purchased PreSonus FaderPort, and concur that it would be great to have it working with Resolve, especially on Fairlight tab at least for automation recording.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 pm

This is an old thread as in the mean time Resolve 14 support HUI and MCU type controller via Midi or direct USB for the fairlight page audio mixer. So if your controller support that emulation mode you are good to go.

I have used these protocols to turn another midi controller into a mixer , so very powerfull to be able to use these protocols.

I dont know your controller so no idea if it support HUI or MCU over midi
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 1:36 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:This is an old thread as in the mean time Resolve 14 support HUI and MCU type controller via Midi or direct USB for the fairlight page audio mixer. So if your controller support that emulation mode you are good to go.

Yes, I used a Mackie HUI for years in Pro Tools, and it was generally a very good system. Occasionally there were disconnect situations, but 99% of the time it was fine. The question is how well it's implemented in Fairlight, and that's still a question mark for the moment.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 am

Bart, have you followed these PreSonus instructions?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... HUI-device
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:23 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Glenn Venghaus wrote:This is an old thread as in the mean time Resolve 14 support HUI and MCU type controller via Midi or direct USB for the fairlight page audio mixer. So if your controller support that emulation mode you are good to go.

Yes, I used a Mackie HUI for years in Pro Tools, and it was generally a very good system. Occasionally there were disconnect situations, but 99% of the time it was fine. The question is how well it's implemented in Fairlight, and that's still a question mark for the moment.

For me its not a question Mark as i have manualy created a hui mixer for my apc-40 controller using the protocol and they followed it exactly. All is working minus some of the automation things and some of the extra utility type buttons but those have always been application dependant. With every new version since beta 9 it came closer to a 100% match. But all base functions like track selection, mute,solo,rec enable, volume , pan ,rude solo, bank selection up/down/left/right,jog shuttle, transport functions i have all implemented in my controller succesfully.
So far the only issue i find , which i already reported to BM, is that if you use pan and reach any of the extremes left or right, you can not get back to the exact center anymore. That has to do with how they subdivided the range into subdivision steps (to coarse) . It should be an easy fix as protocol allows for finer control but so far they have not implemented yet. Understandable with all the work on their list.

Also zero disconnects as smartly they do not require (for midi at least) a handshake.

P.s. I used the HUI protocol as was implemented first. I also tested the MCU protocol, which also seems to work fine
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

ThomasWawer

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 3:58 pm

I am working with an Presonus Faderport 8 in Resolve 16 beta4. It works nice under the Fairlight tap. Unfortunately the controls for play, stop, fast forward and rewind are only working under Fairlight. There is no function for this transport switches in the other taps (Edit, Cut etc.) Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a possibility to make them work everywhere. Thanks for your help.
Thomas (Sorry for my funny English, I am German.)

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 pm

You do nothing wrong. Thats how its implemented by BM. So unless you do your own coding/programming like myself with my custom controller kits , the base HUI/MCU transport controls will only work in Fairlight

ThomasWawer

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Dear Glenn, thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately I am to stupid to make my own programming. I am not even know how to start. Thanks for your work.
Thomas

Return to DaVinci Resolve