Transitions - not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vito DiFronzo

Transitions - not working

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi -

I'm working an Edit and the Transitions are not working properly.
If I jump to an edit point between clips "V", the space between the clips highlights RED.
This prevents adding a center dissolve between the clips.

I have to add a left transition to the left clip and a right transition to the right clip, too tedious.
The space between should highlight GREEN to apply a centered transition.

I found that it works on native H.264 footage (but this is a PAIN to edit).
I converted to DNxHD in an mxf wrapper - it doesn't work.
I converted to DNxHD in an mov wrapper - it doesn't work.

Any advice? I don't understand why the space highlights RED, preventing the centered transition.

Vito DiFronzo

Re: Transitions - not working

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 3:22 pm

*Note - If I ripple the clip a bit (in the timeline) the RED highlight turns GREEN, and then I can insert transitions. Does this help towards a possible solution as to what I might be doing wrong?
I can't do this for every clip.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Are you sure that you have enough pre-post roll on each of the clips for the transition to actually have something to work with?

If Resolve thinks that your clip doesn't have enough footage for a minimal transition, then it won't let you apply it.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Vito DiFronzo

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Yes there is enough footage for the transition to apply.
Sometimes I can even shorten the "in" point and make the edit point shorter, and then it will turn GREEN.
I've tried adding the footage to the timeline in a variety of different ways, and sometimes the edit point is GREEN and other times its RED.

Ideally I like to create "in" and "out" points in the source viewer and then drag.
Results vary.

If I drag full clips into the timeline and trim there I get better result, but not an ideal solution.

??

Vito DiFronzo

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Upon careful inspection, the clips all seem to have 10 one-hundredths of a second added to the "in" and "out" point.

If I pull them back slightly (in the Timeline) , the time code does not change for this 10 one-hundredths and then the line turns GREEN.

This would require me to pull each end of each clip back 10 one-hundredths.
NOTE: there is no actual time-change being made to the clip.

If I could prevent the 10 one-hundredths from being added to each end of each Clip, I believe the problem would be solved.

Any advice?

Sounds like a setting.

Vito DiFronzo

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 2:13 am

*SOLVED*
The issue was that certain clips did NOT have defined in AND out points.
The intention was to refine them later. The clips that DID have BOTH in and out points were able to accept a transition.

Apparently, Davinci Resolve will not add a transition to a clip that does not have specific in AND out edit points.

You could, however, pull the transition handles on each clip, but my intention was to insert the default transition via "V" and Control "T" for ease and simplicity

Derakos Zrux

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm

What does that mean, defined ins and outs? I'm trying to use cross dissolve on a single picture as a clip that's running for five seconds alongside some music, but whether even when it seems to be represented by a green marker on my timeline, the effect isn't working in the preview window. Not sure why, I thought it'd be pretty straight forward.

Jeffrey

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I have the same problem when I insert clips. All the "in-betweens" turn red when I want to insert a transition. What I use to do was to select the in-between (turns red) and then right-click on the transition and choose "Add to selected edit points and clips" and then choose "Trim Clips" at the following pop-up... But now I have another solution: Do not select the clips and MOVE them to your time line with the mouse but right-click the selected clips and choose "Insert selected clips to timeline with handles". All the in-betweens will turrn green if you select them :-)

steveeis@gmail.com

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm

This issue is driving me nuts.
I've found no real answer to this in this forums.
I too have watched many videos and read instructions and none of them touch on why this is happening.
It must be easy or there would be more questions regarding this.
Could someone please provide a clear step by step process for doing this? ...and what to do to fix it?
Thanks so much ahead of time.

octanoak

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm having the same problem. I have no idea why I cannot apply a transition as shown in the DR tutorials. There are some alternative methods I've found online to apply transitions, but they are less convenient than applying them by simply dragging the transtion to the clips in the timeline.

Any answers?

usr_slk

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Revisiting the post.
"For the future generations who are new and have the same problem."

1st. clip needs minimum ~1 second of the footage after the OUT point.
2nd clip needs minimum ~1 second of the footage before the IN point.

When the conditions are met you can use the transitions.

Clip1:
**************************************************|....................................
------------------------------------------OUT point and ~1 second to the end of the clip

Clip2:
....................................|**************************************************
--------------------IN point and ~1 second from the begining of the clip

Then it's possible to: Clip1 |><| Clip2

mistral30

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I have the same problem.
Very frustrating!

BKolley

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 4:28 am

Hi,
I am also new to Davinci Resolve and I'm having an issue with transitions. I can create transitions and they work, but I cannot edit them. I've watched other videos abut editing transitions and when the user rolls the cursor over the transition point, an overlay appears that indicates the presence of the transition. This does not happen for me. I can roll the cursor over the adjoining space between 2 clips and the transition overlay never appears. The only thing that happens is that the cursor changes to the trim cursor. Also, when I right click on the spot between the clips, I get a context menu, but it's a huge menu and there's nothing in there about transitions. When I double left click on the space between the clips, it displays the clip to the right of the transition. When I try to use the Inspector window, and left click on the space between the clips, it highlights the transition green, but the information displayed is for whatever clip the timeline pointer is currently on. I can't select or edit my transitions. They're all there and they all work when I play them, but I've no way to select them for editing. Any help is greatly appreciated as I've spent several hours searching online (which is how I found this topic), reading articles, watching videos, and reading the help pdf to no avail.
Win 10
Asus ROG STRIX X470F MB
Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
16 GB Hyper X Fury Black DDR4-3200Mhz Ram
Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB V-NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 SSD
Radeon RX-580, 8GB GPU
3 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
1 TB WD 7200 RPM HDD
Davinci Resolve 16.0.08.017

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 am

Brian, lets start with a basic test.
Place two clips on the timeline.
Make sure the end of clip one is 2 seconds longer than the outpoint for clip one
Make sure the start for clip two is 2 seconds earlier than the in point of clip two
Zoom the timeline view so you can see the two clips, the edit point and 2 seconds before and after.
you should be able to select the clip edit point with your mouse.
If so, hold Ctl (windows) T and the default transition is applied.
Now select the transition with the mouse and open the inspector to see the transitions controls.

Does this work?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

BKolley

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 2:25 am

I finally figured it out my transition selection problem. The problem was that I had to expand the timeline view to a really large size using the slider in order to see the transition overlay. The clips I was transitioning between were both very long, so I adjusted the timeline slider so that I could see both clips on the timeline. However, the transition time was so short relative to the length of the clips that the transition was rendered as maybe 1 pixel wide, or likely 0 pixels and was effectively invisible in the timeline view. Since there was no way to place the cursor on the timeline accurately enough to select the transition, it appeared as if there was a software bug that was ignoring the transition.

I was expecting that the transition would always be represented on the timeline in a way that would always allow it to be selected, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The transition's size on the timeline appears to always be proportional to it's length in time and if your clips are say, 20 minutes long each, and the transition between them is only a few seconds in length, then the transition can't be rendered on the timeline because it's less than a pixel wide.

So, if you run into a problem seeing and/or selecting your transitions on the timeline, then expand the timeline using the slider until you make it big enough to see the transition. I don't know if there is a mode or key combination that allows you to see all transitions regardless of how the timeline view is stretched or shrunk in time. If there is, I'd appreciate knowing what it is and how to enable/disable it.
Win 10
Asus ROG STRIX X470F MB
Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
Radeon RX-580, 8GB GPU
1 TB WD 7200 RPM HDD

BKolley

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 2:32 am

Peter,
Thanks for responding! I was able to figure out essentially what you stated, and then I posted a reply explaining what I figured out so that other people with the same problem could see a possible solution, but I did this before you posted your response. Once I submitted my subsequent reply, when I returned to the topic, then I saw your post. So thanks again!

Is there a way to always select a transition regardless of the relative size of the timeline view, or is every element in the timeline always proportional to its length?
Win 10
Asus ROG STRIX X470F MB
Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
Radeon RX-580, 8GB GPU
1 TB WD 7200 RPM HDD

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 6:32 am

For now, the next/previous clip/edit shortcut.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ballerhe75

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 9:44 pm

I too having trouble. I have read all the posts but still a problem. Brand new DR. When I try to drag a transition a red circle with a line through it appears. I believe I have trimmed clips, but not sure.

Ideas?

850mk3

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:10 am

Hi all,
My problem isn't exactly the same as others here . I couldn't place a transition over to the timeline at all, just nothing.
I was able to do other things within DVP but not move a transition to the timeline. Agh.
After a long time of trying I found that I couldn't move anything to the timeline. Ah ha moment!
I restarted DaVinci Resolve 15.2 and it is now ok. This is the first time DVP has "crashed" on me after a total of about 20 hours of editing, my first real editing project on DVP.

Stuttering and jerkiness has been an issue but I have mostly found work-arounds for these problems. Thank goodness for youtube.

Back-N-Black

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Wow, I have never had this happen before with the GoPro clips I usually use. ATM I'm using .mov clips taken from an iPhone, copied from a Google share to my PC, not sure if that had something to do with it.

I used to just drag the clip from the media pool to the timeline and as long as it was long enough I could drop a video transition between clips without issue. I just tested that and it does not work.

When I first noticed this I had right-clicked the selected clips and chosen "Insert selected clips to timeline". This did not work.

Somebody on this forum suggested, right-click the selected clips and choose "Insert selected clips to timeline with handles". This works for me!

Thanks

claythorne01

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 6:17 am

The actual 'setting' for this to work appears to be thru exclusive use of the CUT panel. If you apply your transitions between two clips from there, as opposed to the EDIT panel, it will work reliably. (The 'dissolve' button is just above the Timeline on the CUT page.) I think this is RESOLVE'S way of encouraging use of the CUT panel to lay out your clips and transitions as opposed to working exclusively on the EDIT page which is designed more for clip refinement and transformations such as zooms and audio fluctuations via keyframes.

outdoorchrisb

PostMon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm having the same problem and noting seems to be working. Brand new download of Resolve. My clips are all plenty long enough for transitions and I'm using the full length not just a section of a clip, but I'm getting the same old error. My minimum slip size is well over 1 minute. Nothing works whether I'm using in edit or cut.
....so far, this seems to be the biggest -not- user-friendly part of Resolve that I've exeperienced. Though I would love to see a scalable bottom scroll bar to zoom in and out rather than having to use short cut keys or the -/+ above the timeline, but that's another story. I've also closed and restarted Resolve. The inability to use and set length of transitions is big problem for a video editor.

Being that this thread is some months past, I would assume this has been figured out. Any guidance?

Rick Harris

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:11 pm

None of the transitions seem to work if the clip speed has been changed, e.g. from 100% to 90%.
PS: I use "Optical Flow" as Retime Process. I hope this gets solved soon.
Also another bug is that the Clip length gets shortened if the clip speed is increased, but not lengthened if the clipspeed is decreased. In the latter case the clip length stays the same but frames get cut away at the end.

collud2

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 3:15 am

This may be a related transitions issue, though it's not quite the same as above.
I know I am on an ancient version (12.3.2, because our Mac Pro is stuck on an old OS release), so this behavior might be fixed in new versions. Putting this out there for anyone else stuck on the same issues... and in case anyone can offer advice for me.

I've had plenty of trouble inserting transitions in the two months since I started using Resolve, but this thread and some other websites helped out quite a bit -- understanding the need for pre- and post-roll time.

However, this current project is entirely using still images. When I first added them (just drag-and-drop into Media Library, then d/d from there into timeline), I extended them as needed, and had no trouble auto-adding transitions.
Then, I dealt with issues of nasty pixelation and general image quality by pre-resizing my 6000x4000px images to 1080px high. (Native resizing was not turning out pretty)
Finally, I added the resized images to the media library, and one-by-one told the timeline clips (which are still images) to "Force Conform with Selected Library Clip".

I didn't realize it at the time, but that action wiped the transitions for each affected clip! Now, I have to manually trim each clip (did I mention they're just stills?) so there's "pre-roll" before each one. ~Voila~, transitions work.

In short: (1) do later versions of Resolve also require pre- roll on still images for transitions? (2) Is there any way that I've missed to make this change to a batch of multiple selected "still clips" instead of one-by-one?

Return to DaVinci Resolve