Playhead jumping to other track when paused

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Elliott Balsley

Playhead jumping to other track when paused

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 am

In a 16x9 timeline, I have a 2.39 matte on track V5. I'm doing it that way instead of with blanking because the matte turns on and off throughout the movie for flashbacks, etc. With the matte on its own track, it's easy to trim it as needed.

The trouble is, when I'm grading the clips on track V1, and I pause playback, the clip on V5 gets selected, so then the up and down arrow keys cause the playhead to jump far away from where I was working.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 5.53.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 5.53.42 PM.png (688.55 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Playhead jumping to other track when paused

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 3:15 am

There is a new feature in v12. On the color page, hold option key and select the track number on the far LHS of the track that you wish to be ignored for transport selection. The track number is red when in this mode.

This will hide items on this track from the thumbnails but when the CTI is over those clips you will still see their impact on the viewer.

Ideal for mattes, grain, titles, etc.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Elliott Balsley

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 7:26 am

Interesting, thanks Peter. So does that mean there is no workaround in v11? The only thing I can think of is to disable the matte track while working.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 am

It's a v12 feature.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Pat Inhofer

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There is a new feature in v12. On the color page, hold option key and select the track number on the far LHS of the track that you wish to be ignored for transport selection. The track number is red when in this mode.

This will hide items on this track from the thumbnails but when the CTI is over those clips you will still see their impact on the viewer.

Ideal for mattes, grain, titles, etc.
Peter

Nice.
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Trainer, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Return to DaVinci Resolve