Minor quibbles with audio playback in source viewer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Paines

Minor quibbles with audio playback in source viewer

PostTue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 pm

One annoyance, and one apparent bug, playing audio files in source viewer:

- in order to reposition the play cursor, it's necessary to stop playback. Am accustomed, using a competing NLE we won't mention, to just clicking another location in the window, whereon playback stops and resumes from the new position. This is with 1x display -- the whole file's waveform displayed.

- can't seem to speed up audio playback in the source viewer without going whole hog -- pressing "l" two or three times won't increase speed, but keep hitting "l" and it *greatly* increases playback speed, with an extreme pitch shift. There doesn't seem to be anything in-between.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Minor quibbles with audio playback in source viewer

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 2:15 am

Item one is addressed in the beta 4.

Item two is something we will look to improve post release.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 2:31 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Item one is addressed in the beta 4.

Doesn't seem to be. I still have to stop playback to reposition cursor and restart playback from another point in the file.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 3:19 am

Ah, my mistake.. I'm on one build post the beta.. it's coming.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 am

One more, while we're at it: the source viewer doesn't hold the scale setting: I always use 1x, but have to reset it each time the program loaded. If there's to be a default, 1x would be the logical choice(?)

And generally, settings don't "hold": bins don't remember their preferred display format (list, thumbnail, etc.). And when displaying in list format, I find i have to click the "names" column every time I open it to ensure the list is alphabetized.

Small matters, but sources of irritation.....

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 5:19 am

John Paines wrote:And generally, settings don't "hold": bins don't remember their preferred display format (list, thumbnail, etc.). And when displaying in list format, I find i have to click the "names" column every time I open it to ensure the list is alphabetized.

I agree, this is irritating. I wish there was a "state" that was captured so that Resolve remembered the settings of every list on the Edit and Media page, so that the same files were still highlighted and the sort order was the same.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve