how to grab frame stills from a footage in RESOLVE 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

how to grab frame stills from a footage in RESOLVE 12

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 3:29 am

I need to adda i freeze frame in my footage.
As I'm learning to use DAVINCI 12 I have not found the command present in my FCP7 (i.e. make freeze frame) so I dont know how to do to adda this still frame grabbed from my footages in my editing project
can you help me indicating the right steps if any?
Thank you in advance
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Francesco Bollorino

Re: how to grab frame stills from a footage in RESOLVE 12

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 4:54 am

of course I have takea look at the manual BUT the informations I have found seem useless as I dont find what the text says about what to do in the timeline to save ad add a freeze frane to my footage
Francesco Bollorino

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 6:01 am

Speed Change freeze frame, pp. 441-442 in the v12 manual.

Another way you could do it would be to park on the frame you want to freeze, grab a still (at source resolution), export it, bring that back in, and manually cut it into the timeline. Assuming it's TIFF or DPX or some other high-res format, you won't lose any image quality going this route. There's pros and cons with either method.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Speed Change freeze frame, pp. 441-442 in the v12 manual.

Another way you could do it would be to park on the frame you want to freeze, grab a still (at source resolution), export it, bring that back in, and manually cut it into the timeline. Assuming it's TIFF or DPX or some other high-res format, you won't lose any image quality going this route. There's pros and cons with either method.

Marc I have read the pages BUT I dont find what the manual says about...
Francesco Bollorino

Tero Ahlfors

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 6:59 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Marc I have read the pages BUT I dont find what the manual says about...

From the manual:

To change a clip’s speed, do one of the following:

>>Select a clip in the Timeline, open the Inspector, and scroll down to the Speed
Change settings.
>>Right-click a clip in the Timeline, choose Change Speed, and use the controls of the Edit
Speed Change dialog.

>>Freeze Current Frame checkbox: Changes the entire clip to a freeze frame of whichever
frame is at the current position of the playhead.

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 7:04 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:Marc I have read the pages BUT I dont find what the manual says about...

From the manual:

>>Select a clip in the Timeline, open the Inspector, and scroll down to the Speed
Change settings.
>>Right-click a clip in the Timeline, choose Change Speed, and use the controls of the Edit
Speed Change dialog.

>>Freeze Current Frame checkbox: Changes the entire clip to a freeze frame of whichever

I DONT FIND in the ispector the Speed Change settings.
An other problem is the right-click with apple mouse
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 7:06 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:
Tero Ahlfors wrote:

From the manual:

Change settings.
Speed Change dialog.

I DONT FIND in the ispector the Speed Change settings.

if I had solved the problem with the manual I'd not be here to ask I'm from Italy but I know how to read a manula in english
Francesco Bollorino

Tero Ahlfors

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 7:15 am

Page 279 of the manual is dedicated to the inspector panel. Press the button marked inspector on the top right corner when you are on the edit page.

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 7:44 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Page 279 of the manual is dedicated to the inspector panel. Press the button marked inspector on the top right corner when you are on the edit page.

I have done it BUT the only 4 menus I see are:
from top to bottom
COMPOSITE
TRANSFORM
CROPPING
RETIME AND SCALING
no trace of the command you say... no trace of changinf speed at all...also in submenus
I repeat I'd have found the command I'd not be here to ask help , my friend....
Francesco Bollorino

Toni Bihler

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 11:47 am

Hey there!

Maybe this helps: Ignore the inspector, go with the right-click-on-the-clip version.

To right-click on an apple mouse, press the "ctrl"-button, then click.

For me, this works fine, I get the pop-up-menu with the option to "change clip speed" and in there the checkbox "freeze frame".

Best, Toni

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 5:11 pm

no solution?
Francesco Bollorino

John Clark

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I DONT FIND in the ispector the Speed Change settings.

For the Mac, the 'right' button is implemented by pressing the Control key, and 'clicking' on the item. This simulates the 'right' button functionality in most cases.

I don't have time at the moment to bring up Resolve to go further in assisting.

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 am

You can always get a PC mouse to have a right click…

Actually, I'd even get a mouse with middle-click, since that's very helpful in Resolve. A cheap PC mouse with clickable scroll-wheel works fine for me on the Mac with Resolve. You'll need it when copying grades or moving the image when zoomed into the viewer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 6:51 am

I am still not able to find the Speed Change Setting
Can someone help me in this direction?
As I CANT see this kind of setup
Francesco Bollorino

John Paines

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Despite what the manual says, there doesn't appear to be any way to make a freeze frame via the Inspector. There's a "Retiming and Scaling" area at the bottom, but the options are greyed out.

However, on a PC, positioning the time-line cursor on the desired frame, right clicking the clip in the time-line, selecting "change clip speed" and then checking the "freeze frame" box (bottom right) absolutely does convert the clip into that freeze frame.

Maybe you just need to find the Mac equivalent of "right-click", as suggested above?

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 1:50 pm

John Paines wrote:Despite what the manual says, there doesn't appear to be any way to make a freeze frame via the Inspector. There's a "Retiming and Scaling" area at the bottom, but the options are greyed out.

However, on a PC, positioning the time-line cursor on the desired frame, right clicking the clip in the time-line, selecting "change clip speed" and then checking the "freeze frame" box (bottom right) absolutely does convert the clip into that freeze frame.

Maybe you just need to find the Mac equivalent of "right-click", as suggested above?

Jhon YOU ARE A GENIUS also as you have understood my problem: YES using control and mouse over the clip the change speed appears. BUT I do think I hve to duplicate the clip as the command change all the clip and doesnt seem to create a single frame as it appens with FCP7.. i's a curved trip... satnge as all the other funtions of RESOLVE seem more intuitive. I do think that a simple "make freeze frame could be the best at all
Francesco Bollorino

JPOwens

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I do think that a simple "make freeze frame could be the best at all

But not particularly flexible.

Two things: If you are missing the "right click" functionality -- possibly because you are using a MagicMouse, then try to find an application called "MagicPrefs" which will enable something that the rest of the non-Mac world takes for granted.

As far as for creating an arbitrary freeze within a clip, you are really looking for Variable Speed Effects, which aren't really part of re-timing which usually applies to the whole clip,which you probably found out when you clicked the "Freeze" button in the Change Clip Speed dialogue. The inspector retiming simply allows operators to assign clip timing settings to be made on a clip or project basis -- to use nearest, blend or optical strategies.

The new R12 manual does cover Variable speeds and you do not need to create a clone clip. Once you have enabled Variable speeds, you can add "speed points" to the clip by opening the speed adjustment dialog by clicking on the speed indicator (which will initially appear as 100% with a down-arrow) at the bottom of the clip layer... and then the rest is somewhat more intuitive.

jPo

Mark Sterne

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 4:49 pm

JPOwens wrote:...If you are missing the "right click" functionality -- possibly because you are using a MagicMouse, then try to find an application called "MagicPrefs" which will enable something that the rest of the non-Mac world takes for granted.

Francesco,

You can enable right-click on a Magic Mouse using the Mouse preferences in OSX (check the box called Secondary click, Click on right side). Then the right side of the mouse acts like a right mouse button.

MagicPrefs is valuable if you want to also have middle click; the OS doesn't provide that.

John Paines

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Premiere Pro does have that one click freeze frame option -- it's an icon in the playback window. I'd also like to see it, though perhaps there are more pressing deficiencies to correct (paste insert, for one?), since the current situation is at least workable.

JPOwens

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Mark Sterne wrote:MagicPrefs is valuable if you want to also have middle click; the OS doesn't provide that.

oops, my bad, thanks for the correction... of course, middle-click is something that I use a lot for copying grades, so... probably pretty useful, too, and something that OS prefs don't provide.

jPo

Mark Sterne

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm

JPOwens wrote:
Mark Sterne wrote:MagicPrefs is valuable if you want to also have middle click; the OS doesn't provide that.

oops, my bad, thanks for the correction... of course, middle-click is something that I use a lot for copying grades, so... probably pretty useful, too, and something that OS prefs don't provide.

jPo

Agreed, middle click is so useful that it's worth the investment in a three-button mouse/trackball/MagicPrefs. Just wanted to let Francesco know about the "free" option for right click.

No apologies, please, I have gotten tons of useful info from your posts. :D

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 8:33 pm

I bought a real three button + wheel button... much better than the Mac mouse...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 8:38 pm

I don't have a system close, does control r (command r) still open the retime selection to select freeze frame?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 8:21 am

JPOwens wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:I do think that a simple "make freeze frame could be the best at all

But not particularly flexible.

Two things: If you are missing the "right click" functionality -- possibly because you are using a MagicMouse, then try to find an application called "MagicPrefs" which will enable something that the rest of the non-Mac world takes for granted.

As far as for creating an arbitrary freeze within a clip, you are really looking for Variable Speed Effects, which aren't really part of re-timing which usually applies to the whole clip,which you probably found out when you clicked the "Freeze" button in the Change Clip Speed dialogue. The inspector retiming simply allows operators to assign clip timing settings to be made on a clip or project basis -- to use nearest, blend or optical strategies.

The new R12 manual does cover Variable speeds and you do not need to create a clone clip. Once you have enabled Variable speeds, you can add "speed points" to the clip by opening the speed adjustment dialog by clicking on the speed indicator (which will initially appear as 100% with a down-arrow) at the bottom of the clip layer... and then the rest is somewhat more intuitive.

jPo

I partially disagree with you.
As usually I use the freeze frame by the end of my videos I have the last clip and the last frame: I do need to use the last frame to add the freeze frame footage to the last clip: in this siuation I need with RESOLVE to dublicate the last clip, choise the last frame and make the freeze. After I add this footage for few second in the end of my video.
In this situation as you see the way FCP7 makes freeze frames is simpler
Do you agree?
Francesco Bollorino

Peter Cave

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 10:59 am

You are making a simple thing very complex.
1. add clip to timeline
2. find freeze frame point
3. use razor tool to add edit
4. right click on 2nd part of clip and select 'Change clip speed'
5. choose freeze frame checkbox.
Resolve 19.0 b3 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Denis Lauzon

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:06 pm

I've been looking for the answer to this for a while... nothing, nada, nowhere did I find the solution.
I Figured it out... Soooo simple now... this is how to do it in DaVinci 12.5
If you are downsizing your final edit/delivery from 4K to HD, make sure you change your project settings back to UHD or whatever your original footage was shot originally. (If you want the highest res. possible for your stills)
Then click/change your workspace to "COLOR"... find the frame you want to freeze/save with the playhead...
Simply "right click" (PC) "control click" (MAC) on the footage monitor window... select "Grab Still"... it will (the single frame) appear in the left side window... "right Click" on the frame and select "Export"... then you can select .tiff or .jpg or whichever format you want... I save mine as .tiff and the final frame resolution is 50MB high res!!! VOILA

Russ Holland

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello, I still don't think there is a simple way to do this, without doing it my way (explained below) or the retime controls. My way, go to Deliver tab, scrub to your desired frame, key I to mark In, arrow forward one frame, key O to mark Out. Choose .dpx delivery open and add to render queue.
Russ

Return to DaVinci Resolve