Huge Files Sizes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Omar Zaki

Huge Files Sizes

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Hey guys! I am very new to DR 12, and i have been looking up and researching and trying to render the same file in a ton of different formats and i am going from anywhere between 7 gb to 36 gb for a single 10 minute file where when i was editing these in Movie Studio Platinum 12 (Sony Vegas Product) the same videos were around 1 gb large. How can i reduce my file sizes so i don't take up every bit of space on my computer?

Marc Wielage

Re: Huge Files Sizes

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 2:15 am

What format do you need to use? What resolution? These are key questions for all workflow-related issues.

I can tell you 10 minutes of (say) DNxHD 444 only takes up about 32GB. 10 minutes of ProRes 444 4K is only 55GB. I suspect if you were initially winding up with less, it was highly, highly compressed H.264 8-bit. H.264 10mbps HD would be under 900MB, but it's a pretty crappy-looking format. But it'd work online for YouTube, Vimeo, and so on.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve