akai APC-40 Midi controller mapped to resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Glenn Venghaus

Re: akai APC-40 Midi controller mapped to resolve

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:02 am

New major version (feb2017) released upping the coverage to ~99.5% of color page :-)

Besides small features/improved stability/minor buys removal etc, i implemented 2 major new features not available on any other controller (as far as i know) besides the 30K Resolve beast.

1. When working with any controller incl this one, the thing that slows you down most and also hinders muscle memory is having to switch back and forth between banks/sub banks etc. Now i had already minimised that to mostly usage of main banks only , due to the large number of knobs/switches on the Akai and smart use of auto switching, but in 2 pages (PRIM WHEELS and LOG controls) black magic did not actually help by spreading stuff out over A and B (on the gui) which required constant back and forth to access functions that belong in the same main bank. And controlling stuff that is not visible is not possible (without acces to the API)
Well i found a smart solution by putting even more internal communication and state recording on the knobs and switches in place, so now they automatically switch to the right bank for you if you start turning them. So in case of the LOG and WHEELS page all 16 (14) controls are directly available under a fixed knob/location. Consistent function/location between LOG and PRIM WHEELS page as well . Massive speedup in workflow and muscle memory for this takes no time at all.
example for LOG page auto switching knob assignment:
MD | CB | SHAD | HL
CONTR | PIV | LR | HR
SAT | HUE | TEMP | TINT
SH |MID | HIGH | OFFSET (rings)

2. Implemented a feature only available on the 30K resolve deck. In the Curves pages (H-H,H-S,S-S,L-S etc) now you can turn any of the 8 knobs in the right controller section , which will trigger one of the 6 vector color points and immediately control its value. (the most right 2 are just for controllig without a preselection). Saw this feature in one of MixingLights clips over the 30K controller and stole the idea from ther. Thanks Patrick ;-)
Also switch available to set bezier curve on or off (like in custom curve section)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Small video on latest updates as mentioned above.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 pm

This is amazing stuff! I just got a Logitech G13, to see if it works as a better alternative to my exisiting X-Keys XK60, but this APC40 stuff really takes it to the next level.

Having never used them before, do you see any advantages or disadvantages to the newer "MkII" version of the APC40, as far as controlling Resolve is concerned?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Only disadvantages. Biggest is my config only works on the old and have no plans to redo 1.5 years of dev work for an inferior box. :mrgreen:
But also layout is less suited for grading, it more a music machine. Also old one is build like a house and will look and feel the same in 10 years. It build for the road. (Original user base is on the road djs life performing. Its hugely popular in that scene) New is more plasticy.
Last comment of a user who just bough my config is that compared to his tangent elements panel at work if felt amazing sturdy. He will soon find out he does not want to use the element anymore :lol:
If i would have a way to hack in parralel bal control somehow it would be impossible to beat. I will crack it one day....
But this one with a ripple just for the 3 balls is a winning combo or better yet just the elements 3 balls panel as ripple looks and feels like a toy. Those chinese oxygen 3 ball panels also look solid as a companion but impossible to get and a bit expensive for just the balls. I can live with 1 bal control at a time until i find a solution that suits me . Tend to use other type of controls more in general anyway, but that is just a personal workflow thing. Although for the offset i do use the single ball in combination with the knobs mapped to printerlights for quickly dialing in . And that is typicaly the ball control missing in all other controllers. So i am ok for now :-)

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 pm

New major version available. (v7 2017).
- "Completely" re-coded and optimised to be compatible with latest Sierra releases (which introduced major problems for all controllermate based mappings)
- Further improved response on most controllers
- Some small new features like instant access to read/write 8 memory locations
- Fast turnaround optional re-mapping service available to any screen resolution/layout.

Available via : http://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed May 03, 2017 12:15 pm

For the early adopters ;) i created a new version , remapped and tested on Resolve 14 beta 1.
- Fixed timing issues on certain types of controls introduced with Resolve 14 ( my guess is it is hijacking some process priority on mouse/keyboard based controls from Controllermate backgroundhelper process. But was easy fix)
- Remapped changed screen layouts in main page selection, sizing page , shapes page and menus
- Adjusted controls and visual feedback for new stabilizer
- some other minor changes due to R14

Existing (paid) users of the standard version will automaticaly receive this version . Custom resolution customers will follow in the coming days.
p.s. It is NOT downwards compatible but you can load both 12.5.x and 14b versions in controllermate and switch on/off when you use 12.5 or 14b

Availability info for new users : http://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- RESOLVE 14 IS BETA !!!. To be able to switch between the 2 you can install in parallel BUT you need to have a postgresql based setup and have Resolve 14 create a new DB and not have it touch the old DB (you can export / import .drp files to test stuff) .
For disk based setups its is better to use a different system altogether for your tests as R14 can and will corrupt your disk DB and is NOT downwards compatible.
- DO NOT USE RESOLVE 14 WITH YOUR CURRENT DATABASE !!!!!
- ALWAYS HAVE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING
- NEVER UPGRADE YOUR MAIN WORKSTATION WITH A BETA BUT TEST SOMEWHERE ELSE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:29 pm

As i feel in a festive mood with this new Resolve :lol: stuff i am offering all users who jumped in to my controllermate mapping when it was still donationware AND donated anything (no matter how much) a 50% discount for an upgrade to the current (Sierra compatible) version(s) + unlimited free upgrades.
The discount is only valid for the base version (you get both 12.5.x and 14beta1 version) , not for the re-mapping service as is already cheap as hell for maintaining forever a dedicated version for you in your custom resolution.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 am

Short update:
-12.5.x config : Tested on latest released 12.5.6 and no adjustments needed. All working (let me know if you find anything different that i missed)
-14.x beta config : I stopped chasing after BM's continous beta changes affecting screen and menu positions and wait for the final 14 release , to make the final config and send it out to all customers asap.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Here a short but amazing update of a feature i have in development , that will be released as part of the final resolve 14 config later. Almost finished testing/compiling/packaging the code, and looks super cool i must say (i am biased of course , but look for yourselves).
Apologies for al the people with super expensive controllers that can not do 50% of this one :p:D:eek:, but i am always open for business if you want to upgrade ;-)

Also in the coming weeks i will be releasing the completely stable and tested Resolve version 14 config. Beta's seem (screen layout wise) stable so will not hold of till final release. Current customers will automatically receive the update next week , custom resolution customers shortly after (which i am working on now). This will not yet include the ofx feature. Patience my young padawans ;-)

If you are not a customer/fanboy/groopie yet and are now finaly blown away, don't hesitate as i may up the price slightly for the ofx version (existing customers , its a lifetime free upgrade for all features as promised)

Availability and further info: http://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Ok, rollout is starting for the new OFX enabled (Resolve 14 only) version to existing and new customers for standard resolution.
Custom resolution support will follow within 2 weeks.

Currently 15 supported Resolve OFX plugins (fully mapped , including relevant checkboxes and dropdown menus):
- Lens Blur
- Color Compressor
- Contrast Pop
- Dehaze
- Glow
- Lens Flare
- Face Refinement (partly, 15 parameters)
- Deband
- Sharpen
- Sharpen Edges
- Soften & Sharpen
- Tilt/Shift Blur
- Film Grain
- Camera Shake
- Lens Distortion

For large OFX plugins, the scripting detects and opens tabs when needed and switches into full screen with OFX mode (eg for lens flare it opens 3 tabs in full screen). Also activates onscreen OFX overlay tool.
Availability info:
http://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 11:56 am

Here a new full userguide, replacing the old expired versions , recorded on Resolve 14beta6.
If you want to see the final implementation of full Resolve OFX control , skipp to 23:00 mins

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Here we go. Another crazy update. Just when I though i could not add anything anymore to the controller after the OFX plugins addon, i managed to find a solution for something long on my wishlist, using my new scripting/opensource toolkit.
I added a custom OFX section with 5 pages of free end-user mappable controls, each with 16 knobs and 3 push buttons, to interactively map to your other favourite and or 3rds party OFX plugins that are not delivered pre-mapped by me.
As always , visual feedback on programming, bank status etc.
All mappings are saved, permanently, so reboot etc , all keep your custom mappings (until you change)
Will be included in the next release.
Check out the video , and scoop up the last few rare apc-40 mk1's . They are almost gone ;-)

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 11:31 am

Just implemented (running in beta now) an extra 5 pages of 16 custom user mappable controls that can be used in the fairlight page for dynamically mapping (similar single push button mapping operation as for custom OFX banks) and controlling up to 16 volume faders per bank.
as with the OFX custom banks, it has permanent memory, so you restart your project/resolve/computer and it remembers all previous fader mapping plus (unique and needed for these fairlight banks that use different control mechanisme) also all current fader positions. So you could map for 5 projects their fader positions , or map different fader screen setups to different banks etc.
Very handy for smooth mixing but also for recording fader automation.
If you change fader level outside of the controller (using mouse), you can easily pickup by just moving the mapped controller knob untill it is on top of the current position, where it will pickup and resync.
Controls auto switch function if you switch between color and fairlight page (using the controller) to their respective custom mapping banks (ofx vs volume fader banks)
No time to make a video right now, will do when out of full beta testing. Likely will rolout this feature together with Resolve coming out of beta to be sure stuff has not changed in the meantime.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Big thanks to the wonderfull people at BM , who decided to implement usb and "MIDI" based control using the Mackie HUI protocol.

Now i could have put another controller on my desk , but as i already have one :mrgreen: , so i immediately jumped on it and today started programming and implemented a fully working extension to my controller using this feature.

It is now possible to control all Fairlight and Edit page faders (in switchable banks of 8 ) with signe button access (no submenus ate anymore) using the top 8 rotary knobs in combination with bank switching and channel switching navigation buttons.
This was already possible in the latest releases of the controller using the new custom user mapping modes also in use for OFX etc, but this does not require any user mapping anymore , is much faster in response and is completely dynamic . Even when faders are not visible it works as using midi messages in background.
You can use both methods in combination so for example drive a bank of 8/16 track faders using the HUI protocol and custom map the master 2.0 and the 5.1 fader on the knob bank below so these stay fixed and you dont need to swap bank back and forth to adjust master volumes. Best of both worlds.
Together with custom zoom and navigation type functions mapped , you have now total control.
The ULTIMATE Davinci Resolve controller :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This was the missing link.
Again thanks BM , you guys keep delivering and these unexpected surprises top it all !!!!!!

p.s. Will make a small video in the coming days to show how it all works and then start rolling it out the coming weeks to all customers (free upgrade of course as always).
Plan later also adding a few rows of 8 buttons , with color feedback , for mute, rec, solo. But thats for later.

edit: forgot to say i programmed it fully bidirectional. So you change the faders with the mouse or with automation and the controller updates and visa versa. Thats what makes the AKAI such a unique and underrated ultimate controller. You can control the controller. If you start resolve it also sends the current values to the faders.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 12:49 pm

It's live !!! Available per now for new and existing base resolution users (check your download basket). Within a few weeks for custom resolution customers (take a little longer as is a massive overhaul !!)

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 am

Hoooraaaaaaa !!!
Its a festive day today as Resolve 14 has been official released.:)

To celebrate i am offering a stepped discount on my APC-40 Resolve 14 mapping packages valid until Sunday 10th sept 23:59 CET
Today -20%
Friday -15%
Saturday -10%
Sunday -5%

(all in CET !!!!, no fooling me with timezones :D)

Get this sick controller while it is hot and enjoy full control over 99.999999999% of Resolves Color page, including full OFX control, custom user mapping and full Mackie Hui mixers on Farlight and Edit pages.
http://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 pm

For the always busy busy busy colorists, i made a special compressed version (just for fun) of the full 46 mins userguide, that nobody is going to watch anyway :mrgreen:

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Small V4.6 update for DR14.0:
- Added audio PAN control to edit/fairlight channel strip control (stereo panning only), incl all channel pan reset (like fader reset)

Some under the hood improvements:
- removed all last remaining keyboard shortcuts (minus JKL and printerlight controls) and all mouse clicking in menus and replaced all with direct system calls for script. This drastically speeds up the menu related activities (=immediate) , no distracting unfolding menus/submenus etc. Much cleaner. Also now all kb shortcuts are free to use by you for other things and no issues anymore with localisation.
- Improved realtime memory recall of all settings when switching back and forth between fairlight/edit and color page
- Improved controller initialisation routine , which checks the complete installation, midi communication , filesystem acess for storing user mapping, etc etc and reports any issue with suggestions on how to fix.
- added status detection on several toggle switches to detect if you messed around and changed it with the mouse. It will then get back in sync on next press.
- auto activation of correct screen on multiscreen custom mapped controls (on touch)

You find it in your download basket for the base kit, custom kits rolled out the coming weeks

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 1:00 pm

In honour of my 500st !! post on LiftGammaGain forum , i decided to offer a 24hrs 25% discount on my APC-40 monster controller kit.
So get it while it is hot and sizzling and join this illustrious group of power APC-40 users (link in my signature) that enjoys features to control DR14 Color, Edit and Fairlight page others only dream of (unless you spend thousands of euros/dollars)
2017-10-05_08-35-54.jpg
2017-10-05_08-35-54.jpg (186.74 KiB) Viewed 18731 times

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 11:32 am

BLACK FRIDAY DEALS

What better way to celebrate then getting a nice new toy :lol:
Get this sick and low cost controller now and get finally rid of your mouse and RSI.

---------BLACK FRIDAY DEALS-------------------------------------
24 nov 2017 : -25%
25 nov 2017 : -20% -25%
26 nov 2017 : -10% -25%
27 nov 2017 : -25%
Valid between 00:00 and 23:59 CET (Amsterdam, NL)

http://davinci-controller.tachyon-consulting.com

Now go and scoop the net quickly to find one of the last remaining original AKAI APC-40's (MK1 !)
Difficult to find but they are there. Very few people are selling these beauties.
Last edited by Glenn Venghaus on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Here we go !!!!
Even better. 25% discount on the whole holiday period of 24-27 nov 2017 on the controller to end all controllers. Grab it while its hot :lol:

2017-11-23_17-53-18.jpg
2017-11-23_17-53-18.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 18251 times

http://davinci-controller.tachyon-consulting.com

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 am

Last day to get your deal.

2017-11-27_09-47-02.jpg
2017-11-27_09-47-02.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 18180 times

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Small info update :
As there are a few hardcore suicidal folks around that are determined to upgrade their stable environment to apple's latest psychological user stress test environment and hackers paradise called lovingly High Sierra :roll: , i can inform you that my kit is as of today also supporting High Sierra for 100%. Tested on the slightly less open door policy for root user :o version 10.13.2. (before i wiped the drive clean again and went back to my safe space)
Only requirement is to first have the latest controllermate v4.10.4 High Sierra supported version downloaded and installed.

:lol: :mrgreen:

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Here a sneak preview of a feature coming in v5.4 of my controller.
Using advanced computer vision techniques (yes the stuff to catch terrorists or to detect cats on google images) can also be used to do the impossible in controller mapping.

Jacob Fenn

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Glenn, are these "advanced computer vision techniques" something that may eventually free your setup from ControllerMate's reliance on the XY position of the mouse overtop the Resolve GUI? The fragility of that reliance is what's kept me using the Resolve panels, but I have to say I think I prefer a lot of the functionality you've designed. Especially with the addition of Fairlight now. "Computer Vision" sounds like some sort of AI that could recognize the GUI component visually and modify it even if the XY position changed (due to Resolve update, user window layout change, search box being opened and shifting things, etc). The portion that controls Resolve (actual mouse-click down, move, release) commands are always going to be there (unless BM changes its mind) I assume, but the 'finding of the UI element to control' part could be made less breakable with "computer vision"?

Thanks Glenn.
Written by an extremely average person.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Indeed that is exactly what it does. But it is too far from being usefull for standard stuff that can be mapped in a few seconds with controllermate, so i only use it for completely dynamic components. (atm but anything can change)
That is the stuff that was added in the last year using different kind of state and position detection techniques. (OCR + Vision tools + other secret sauces) to make it all more robust .
I will never see me adapt that for everything. Way too much work ;-). But it does give me the freedom to choose my weapon of choice to get what i want. Atm there is no limit. This Curves thing was the last thing i thought that could never work, and now it does. Mission complete ;-)

In general i will never move away from controllermate as that together with my own developed tools work perfect hand in hand, super stable and super reliable. CM does the quick and dirty and calls my toolkit to do the more complex/heavy lifting for OFX/fairlight/user programmable knobs and all the new vision stuff.

The remapping effort for my entire config (~15000 controllermate objects by now ) for any resolution/screen layout is about 4 hours work (due to smart programming) so not that bad.
Also the good thing about Resolve compared to for example tools like Premiere (aaarggh) is that the Gui is stable for 90% of the tools. So after the initial mapping it hardly requires any remapping. Since the 1st beta of Resolve till now i had to remap only 4 controls. So a non issue for me.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Time for some change. Got tired of the "Akai APC40" look, so did a huge makeover slash open hart surgery. Took a few weeks and lots of youtube howto's for dummies but super happy with the result.
Also besides look, the big knobs feel much smoother and much more control. Unexpected side effecct
Meet APC40 Resolve Edition 2018.....

APC40-Resolve-Edition-2018.jpg
APC40-Resolve-Edition-2018.jpg (292.46 KiB) Viewed 17041 times

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

APC40 Resolve Edition , now available for Davinci Resolve 15.
- Including full control over 5 new Resolve OFX plugins (studio only)
Apperture Diffraction
Lens Reflections
Patch Replacer
Flicker Addition
Film Damage
- Also direct access / navigation with the new 4 playheads in the color page
- Revamped internals to be fully DR15 compatible

Will be rolled out to customers today and tomorrow.
Immediately available to order for new customers.

Discount code for 20% off on the base kit for BM forum users till next monday to celebrate the new DR15 version : BMF-DR15-APC

Also checkout the new released small padawan "Beatstep Resolve Edition" (DR15 only)

https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am

As summer is currently hitting the Netherlands and everyone is in a good mood as a result, i think its time for another discount on my controllers.
So get them while they are hot , like Davinci Resolve 15 , which is sizzling !!!

Discount code for July , 20% off : summer2018
Attachments
apc40-davinci-resolve-deal.png
apc40-davinci-resolve-deal.png (357.44 KiB) Viewed 16000 times

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 3:15 pm

In accordance with the developments for my other Davinci Resolve controller (Beatstep Resolve Edition), now i also implemented the handy HUD feature on the APC40 that can be called on demand for all pages (incl the 20 mapped OFX) on a keypress.
Will be rolled out the coming week(s) for all resolution kits.

Example:
apc40-davinci-resolve-controller-hud.jpg
apc40-davinci-resolve-controller-hud.jpg (360.25 KiB) Viewed 15870 times

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am

Forgot to post it here, but due to the release of the amazing DR15 (tnx again to the great development team of BM for this massive effort) , i have a celebratory discount of -10% for the AKAI APC-40 (mk1) as well as the more portable Arturia Beatstep controller kits valid till the end of august.

Obviously fully compatible with and making use of several of the great new features of DR15 incl for example control over the new spectacular OFX plugins and (for APC40) direct navigation control on the new multiple color page timelines.

Availability and more info here
Discount Code : DR15ROCKS

apc40-resolve-edition-party-deal.jpg
apc40-resolve-edition-party-deal.jpg (444.8 KiB) Viewed 15564 times

Singularity

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 am

This looks great, but is there any way to use other midi controllers (like maschine) with resolve?
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 3:58 am

Singularity wrote:This looks great, but is there any way to use other midi controllers (like maschine) with resolve?

No not out of the box. There is no native support for any midi controller in Resolve.
Software has to be designed and build around any specific single midi controller (as each is different) to somehow adress features in Resolve, which also does not standard make available an open public interface to do so.
So it requires enthousiast ( = idiots) like me who are willing and able to spend years of development / love / tears / passion and more to create sollutions like this.
I did it for the classic akai apc40 controller and more recently for the arturia beatstep .

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:34 pm

FYI
Discount code on posttools.tachyon-consulting.com (also valid forBeatstep Resolve Edition) :
15-31 October -20% : TRICKTREAT20 (extended)

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Final moments to still grab a 20% discount on one of the 2 top budget full featured controllers for Davinci Resolve (Beatstep or APC40 Resolve edition) with features others can only drool over : checkout code TRICKTREAT2018.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Always the same, unbelievable :o
Doesn't matter how long ahead and how many times you warn for the end of a discount....
I literally had an order a few hours after the discount expired. (of course i still gave it as am generally nice guy, but i was tempted :mrgreen:
So , for the final time , i have extended till monday nov 5th and to give a bit more incentives to the doubters, people that cant decide what sock to wear in the morning etc , its now a wopping 35% discount on all items in the store using code : BETTERLATETHENNEVER

Thats it. :roll:

Johannes Hoffmann

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am

Glenn, you are doing amazing stuff with your mapping! I especially admire the smooth fader translation, the curve point detection and the custom mapping of OFX parameters. Some clever UI ideas too!

"Unfortunately" most available space on my desk is already taken by a DR Micro Panel and an X-Keys. No way to place even a beatstep somewhere reachable. So I was thinking of something smaller like the faderfox UC4.

I know how much work it is, to do such mappings. So I won't bother you with one more controller. But I wonder wether you might be willing to share some hints or "licence" some of your clever tricks to those map-it-yourself fellows like me.

btw: the guy behind faderfox does custom controllers. Maybe you guys should have a little chat ;-)

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Johannes,

Tnx for the compliments.
- When i started this whole project i actualy shared for free all the code for almost a year , but after i was declared legaly insane by almost everyone i spoke to , i moved to a donationware model. That did not work (got 1 single donation of 10 USD, so thats it for appreciation of my work from everyone else... not), so i decided to sell it at a reasonable price (compared to anything else on the market and covering my time/expenses a bit, like 0.00001%)
So the time of free sharing has passed unfortunately if you understand.

- Regarding the desk space, yeah if you cant place the small beatstep i strongly suggest a bigger desk :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Fun aside, i had a look at the faderbox (not that i have ANY plans for yet another controller as i feel with one large and one portable i should cover all areas), but i would not recommend it for Resolve. Looks great for any midi DAW though.
The main reason is the faders are useless . Unless faders are digital or motorised , you will no have much fun. Thats why i use endless encoders (ideally bidirectional programmable like on the apc40. I actualy physicaly removed its faders to use as armrest and use its knob encoders for bidirectional auto updating faders ) so that they always represent the actual value . My programmed faders get initialised when you load a program for example or when you touch a fader with the mouse etc. Non motorised faders will be rather useless imho.

There are reasons why i ended up with the beatstep although no hardware is ideal in all aspects, i did look at almost all smal formfactor controllers on the market before investing a year of my time in migrating / adapting the code from the larger apc40 model (which btw i still regard as the best hardware controller ever and is loved by my customers to the death in the context of Resolve)
You need the right kind/number of knobs(endless)/buttons/leds etc for control and the all important user feedback plus the right midi implementation , which to be honest was a bit of a challenge on the beatstep to bend my way, but it works.

Johannes Hoffmann

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:So the time of free sharing has passed unfortunately if you understand.

Sure. That's why I used the word "licence" :-)
I is really sad that the open source or donation road are fading on many stages these days.

- Regarding the desk space, yeah if you cant place the small beatstep i strongly suggest a bigger desk :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Sonically a bad idea … but I might consider selling my micro panel ;-)

Fun aside, i had a look at the faderbox ... but i would not recommend it for Resolve. Looks great for any midi DAW though.
The main reason is the faders are useless

I too would have preferred a third row of encoders instead.
Yes, the beatstep seems to be almost perfect – half the width and I would throw my money.

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Johannes Hoffmann wrote:Yes, the beatstep seems to be almost perfect – half the width and I would throw my money.

For an extra euro i throw in a hacksaw . Customer service :mrgreen:

And the micro sounds like a nice companion to the beatstep so keep it. Have a few customers that have that combo. I would like a nano with just 4 balls and rings in the style of the micro. Would be an awesome combo with the apc40 or beatstep. Now use the ripple which works but has no rings

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 am

Announcement :
As of today the kits are fully OSX Mojave 10.14.x supported.
So when upgrading (for the early adopters) , rerun the (latest) basekit installer which ,when it detects Mojave, will deploy the correct base toolkit kit that has been natively compiled/build and 100% tested on Mojave. Also make sure you upgrade to the latest Controllermate which has proper Mojave support as wel.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 2:41 pm

FYI: CyberSales active in shop. 30% discount on all items till CyberMonday

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 am

maybe you've said it before.. but do you think you will ever create this for windows?

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:maybe you've said it before.. but do you think you will ever create this for windows?

Yeah said it often before as much requested, but unfortunately no for a plethora of reasons.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Ok, here we go. Lets go insane.:p
Cyberdeal upped to 40% discount on all items till cybermonday. :o :o :o :o :o

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Tick tock.....

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Just an fyi.
As you undoubtedly noticed i implemented this weekend a sick new feature for the smaller Beatstep controller that is not yet present on its mother the APC40.
Dont worry, do not cry, i just started backporting it and expect full smart automapping control of the Inspector pane in Edit and Fairlight in the next few weeks on your favorite full size controller so it will regain its position as the MOAC (mother of all controllers) :mrgreen: .

So soon also featuring on your controller this :

And for new customers the best time to fill yout stockings with some controller love :lol:

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:29 pm

p.s year end / christmas sale (-25%) just started so put something big or if you have no space something small but powerfull under your christmas tree this year . Obviously fully compatible with the just released DR15.2.2 and packed with the latest and insanest (is that a word ?) features imaginable.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Done !!!
Just released and pushed to ALL existing APC40 customers the latest big v9.0 catch-up update, which includes among other new features the (unique to my controllers) INSPECTOR control seen i previous posts/video, similar to its smaller sibling just received a few weeks ago.
Also the missing "general automapping ofx plugin control" for non pre-mapped ofx plugins is now implemented.
And some other stuff you will find in your changelog.

Check the updated Fairlight/Edit page HUD (and RTFM as well ,specially now) for help on the new layout . You will like what i did there ;-)

For new customers of course also immediately available , and still till year end you can benefit from a small year end sale.

p.s. sneak reveal : Current and future APC40 "MK2" owners , pay special attention to my updates soon....... :o

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 9:17 am

Continued in the MK2 thread HERE
Completely identical development path for both APC40 models, so everything you see available on the MK2 is there for the MK1
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve