Avid Artist / MC Color not fully working in resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Churchman

Avid Artist / MC Color not fully working in resolve

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 12:02 am

Hi Everyone

I have an Avid Artist Color ( the original Euphonic's MC Color branded edition )

It partially works with resolve .. just not fully ! I have tested it on Resolve 11 and 12(.1) and also on resolve 12 on a second Mac. Full spec is : Resolve Studio 12.1, mac os x 10.10.5, Mac Pro 09, gtx 970 etc..

What it does is as follows :
When resolve loads it shows the Contrast, Pivot, ( gap ), Sat, Hue, Lum, Mix options in the top OLED screens, these can be altered and clicked to reset. Also the trackballs and the track wheels functions perfectly letting me change color and levels for lift gamma & gain.

What doesn't work is everything else : i can't access any of the other pages of menus using either of the page "<" & ">" buttons, the playback buttons, none of the f1-f9 keys work nor the trackball reset r1-r6 buttons either.

I have tried a second mac ( 15 macbook with the same result ) removing all the EuControl preferences as the FAQ says, downgrading the software to a version 2.7.x & then also downgrading the firmware too, reinstalling the software back to 3.2 and updating the firmware again, setting resolve to have "none" in "Control Panel" preferences then back to "Avid Artist Color" and it always does the same thing

When i look in EuControl software under "Soft Keys", it says "Application : Resolve .." but it shows no mappings ( instead "Surface section is mapped to 'welcome to artist series', there are no Trackball or Playback button Sections in the dropdown ..

So does anybody have any advice on what else i can try? I did have it working properly a while ago but not longer.

Many thanks

James

Marc Wielage

Re: Avid Artist / MC Color not fully working in resolve

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 3:43 am

The MC Color panel cannot be mapped with Eucon software, as far as I know. That's just a driver to help the panel talk to the operating system. Resolve maps directly to the MC Color panel itself.

I have found a few things that don't reset. The one that makes me bonkers is the PAN knob on the PTZR group, which no longer resets. Tilt, Zoom, Rotate, H Size, and V Size work fine. But not Pan. Maddening.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Dermot Shane

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 7:35 am

, there are no Trackball or Playback button Sections in the dropdown ..

that's normal,

For what it's worth, you can map the first two layers of softkeys, i have them re-mapped to suit how i like to work, but only the first layer and R-click + layer, and this is the softkeys only, none of the other buttons, but i don't really need that anyway.

and you have bigger fish to fry...

i can look at the rest when i get to work tomorrow

Erik Wittbusch

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 10:16 am

I have this issue from time to time.
I exit Resolve, restart the Eucon application (3.2) and start Resolve again.

Usualy it works then.

James Churchman

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks very much for the replies!

HI Mark, many thanks for your reply! A while ago it did work properly, and everything was mapped : i had multiple pages of options to chose from, the F, R & playback keys worked, the nav button allowed jumping threw pages too etc... It it not so much that i wish to "re map" anything, its more that now i only get the very most basic mapping & nothing more.. when resolve starts i get about 5 or 6 things mapped ( hue,sat, contrast, luma mix ) and the trackballs.. nothing else at all.. its like its in a very basic mode where nothing else gets mapped.

Hi Dermot, yes i guess i could manually set a few of the basic soft keys to be what their usual mapping is in resolve but this is not ideal as it should map them much more thoroughly already :)

Hi Erik, many thanks & i see... you get similar behaviour, where it goes into a very minimal mapping ? and just a simple restart fixes it? so far i have tried it on two machine, reinstalled various versions of the EUcon software including updating and backdating the firmware, tried both a dynamic IP and a status IP setting .. and it always behaves the same!

James

James Churchman

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 4:22 pm

I fully removed resolve from one machine, including removing all "Library/Application Support" files related to Resolve, then reinstalled the drivers and it still does the same ..

( Just incase here are some logging text outputs. Looking in "/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/logs" on startup it puts

"Dec 15 16:11:25 MBP.domain_not_set.invalid AVID_EUCON_LIB[788] <Error>: EUCON NIC set to USB 10/100/1000 LAN 9 in EUCON preferences" in one machine ( usb ethernet ) and :
"Dec 15 15:07:39 Mac-Pro.domain_not_set.invalid AVID_EUCON_LIB[921] <Error>: EUCON NIC set to Ethernet 1 4 in EUCON preferences" in the "panel.log" file

and :
" [0x7fff7edf4300] | SyManager | INFO | 2015-12-15 16:11:25,775 | Started /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/EuphonixPanelDaemon with pid 788"
followed by many :

"[0x7fff7edf4300] | ControlPanel | INFO | 2015-12-15 16:13:06,769 | Switched Control Panel to mode Primary YSFX"
in both davinci_resolve.log and ResolveDebug.txt )

Dermot Shane

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 4:41 pm

it seems to be complaing about the ip and the usb connections.... not a clue how the usb connection works... you can set a manual ip on the surfaces, i needed to do this for Baselight Editions to see it, maybe you can also set a ip addy manualy in Resolve to override the DHCP?

i'm on pc, and have a seperate router for the surfaces and the three machines that use it, I use port1 on each machine and use the cross-over cables that were provided between the surfaces and the router.. that setup has been rock solid for a long time now with all machines & software shareing the surface nicely

"Surface section is mapped to 'welcome to artist series',

this also is normal

on a seperate note, yes the mapping provided by BMD seems to have been outsourced to Dante, but Elements is no better, and maybe a bit worse depending on prefrence i guess

for me, mapping the first thre buttons above ring 1 to switch the ui to log / primary bars / NR,2.better, and the the buttons above the second ring trigger curves+default / mask + enhanced viewer, the rest of the first page are mapped as Dante had them...these are the biggest help... i have other stuff moved about, and to trigger macro's, but those i also have mapped to Xkeys or the buttons the Transport or on my wacom.. i spend much less time mouseing the ui and the day goes faster.

James Churchman

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Yes not sure if those error logs in the panel.log are normal or not..
I have now tried it on a 3rd machine, this time with resolve v11 and it still does the same thing.. so odd! I have tired a manual IP option and it is just the same as before...

Oh cool .. who (or what) is "Dante"? And does he take suggestions? Mapping one of the shift buttons while moving the trackball to set the "Offset" wheel would be my top one ? and how does he set them? Im guessing threw some sort of configuration file thats the supplied with resolve?

Dermot Shane

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 1:57 am

Dante Alighieri wrote an epic poem called "The Devine Comedy" in the 14th century, detailing the nine levels of hell... i thought BMD might have channeled him to help write their mapping on Elements and Color... or maybe studied his works for inspration...

to re-map the surface ;
1 open eucon
2 select transport softkeys
3 select the first one
4 open commands
5 delete the existing (Resolve mapping ot basemem)
6 select keystrokes
7 select special
8 select "opt"
9 select "z"
10 close window
11 save

now when you press the first softkey, it will switch the ui to the color wheels, and every time you press it the ui will toggle between log and primarie wheels, and you have lost "basemem"... i'm ok with that tradeoff and it's that easy....

Now if you move on to a macro recorder and you can load up some really usefull keystrokes onto a button.. or a fkey on the keyboard, or Xkeys, or artist tranport or a wacom tablet's programable buttons or a g13 game controler...

my wishes for mapping are;
- exposure (offset in Resolve speak), contrast, pivot mapped to the three rings / hue offsets on the balls
- RGB /Lift and Gain mapped to knobs and RGB / Gamma mapped to the rings, balls dis-abled

but it would take somone with far greater skills than i have to hack that, or BMD to support it
Last edited by Dermot Shane on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dermot Shane

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 am

James Churchman wrote:Yes not sure if those error logs in the panel.log are normal or not..
I have now tried it on a 3rd machine, this time with resolve v11 and it still does the same thing.. so odd! I have tired a manual IP option and it is just the same as before...

i'll look in my error log tomorrow, but i'm not expecting to see anything as my surfaces work properly, if so then maybe that's good, as it means the information you have is likely valid - another clue

James Churchman

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 12:50 am

Since this morning it's working properly & has done for all day now.
Before it did in order to check the buttons worked i mapped them to a few key presses in another app .. all ( except oddly F2 ) mapped fine.. when i swamped over to do some color correction.. all the buttons work & all the sub menus on the panel could now be accessed!

Return to DaVinci Resolve